Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1/4 S&G Scale Barrel Back

Hello everyone I hope that everyone had a wonderful Christmas with their family and friends and wishing the same for a Happy New Year!
    I started building this boat years ago between other models, and like most modelers sometimes finding time comes at a premiun but eventually we finished it I entered it in Toledo 2012 and placed 3rd in the pleasure craft which is an honor to anyone who enters and wins. The kit was all laser cut and went together quite nicely. During the construction I made some modifications to the kit. Here are some highlights of the finished model. The kit is a well thought out design with a one piece removable deck which allow total acces to the enterior.

1) After the keel and frames were laid up the kit called for laminating the entire hull with sheets of balsa I replaced it with 1/16" plywood for added strength some of the planks had to be per soaked, clamped allowed to dry before gluing.
    2) Once sheeting was completed on the hull then the fun began. The sides of the hull are planked with individual 3/4" X 1/16" maghony strips.
    3) Outer planking on the deck are 7 individual maghony strips 3/16" in width to get the bend and the bow.
    4) Rest of the deck planking is 1/2' wide stripes glued leaving a space for 1/16" square bass wood.
    5) Before gluing the bass wood the entire hull was given a dark stain to further enhace the beauty of the wood.
    6) Outer planking and centre planks, I could not find a dark enough stain even using ebony was not enough to get a sharp contrast so I used a "Sharpie" black chisel marker which gave me the look I was looking for after wiping off the excess this allowed the grain to come thru.
    7) The bass wood inlays were first bleeched to get a uniform color.
    8) Once all planking was completed then the entire hull and deck was covered with 3/4oz fiberglass cloth using expoxy finishing resin. this was followed up with 3 additional coats of finishing resin with block sanding between each application to get a perfectly smooth surface.
    9) The entire inside of the hull was aslo given a coat of resin for water proofing.
    10) Engine is stock 26cc Zeonah complete clutch and custom muffler with internal baffles to further reduce the noise I got the size buy using the dimensions of an aersol spray bomb can.
    11) Custom made stainless steel rudder and exhaust flange.
    12) Functional bow and mast light.
    13) Custom made seat cushions and backs using marine grade vinyl.
    14) Paint on bottom of the hull I selected "1953 Chatsworth Green" used by General Motors.
    15) Entire Hull was sprayed with Clear and buffed to a high luster with rubbing compound.
    16) All fittings are from the kit at additional cost and were all polished with buffing wheel and rubbing compound.
    17) Finished weight RTF 28 lbs.

I ran the model several times and at full throttle it is way to fast and it starts to porpoising so I am experimenting with different props to get a nice ride. It run great at 3/4 throttle which to me is still fast for the model. Overall it was a time consuming project but it was well worth it.

Regards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	3.16 MB 
ID:	1952106   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	1952107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	1952108   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	3.26 MB 
ID:	1952111   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	3.51 MB 
ID:	1952113  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	014.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	4.09 MB 
ID:	1952114   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	3.46 MB 
ID:	1952119   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	3.38 MB 
ID:	1952120   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	1952121   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	3.66 MB 
ID:	1952122  

Name:	005.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	3.52 MB 
ID:	1952123   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	4.23 MB 
ID:	1952124   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	3.39 MB 
ID:	1952125   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	4.12 MB 
ID:	1952126   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	4.05 MB 
ID:	1952127  

Name:	010.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	3.62 MB 
ID:	1952128   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	011.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	3.75 MB 
ID:	1952129  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I wanted one of them. But,by the time I saved enough money for one, they closed there doors. They were about 70 mi North of me. That is one nice boat, great build.They were located in Georgetown MA. I have the pics and info they sent to me in 1994
    Last edited by blizard05; 12-29-2013 at 08:55 AM.
    America home of the free,thanks to the brave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I still havent finished mine . Going on 20 yrs Maybe next year . I will power up with electric .

Thanks for sharing

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by jmolwitz View Post
    I still havent finished mine . Going on 20 yrs Maybe next year . I will power up with electric .

Thanks for sharing
    Jmolwitz, thanks for reading my post like yourself I had the model for quite sometime and I finally got around to finishing it. I recall talking with the owner who has since passed away, the electric version her offered back then was a Sullivan Electric Starter Motor which he told me that the performance was marginal and the motor would overheat since this motor was not designed for continous use. I am fortunate that we can run gas which does really bring the model to life. I would be curious as to what is out there for electric power for this size model, speed and run time with the packs out there. Good luck on the completion of your model.

Regards

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    A large outrunner will do the trick these days . I have a 3 1/2 x 4 prop that I hope will give 25 mph more or less at 6000 rpm . I just have to run some numbers on ecalc to see what kv would be best .