Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Alas, another Revell 1/96 scale Constitution.

Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Alas, another Revell 1/96 scale Constitution.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:29 PM
Scout19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alas, another Revell 1/96 scale Constitution.

Greetings Me Hearties... Having seen some great results by others I have started on my own rendition of an RC conversion of the Revell Constitution 1/96 scale. Started on January 4, 2014, thus far I have painted and sealed the hul and added bulkheads for strength and security, fabricated a sailing keel, fabricated a new rudder cut to facilitate an internal prop shaft and screw. I am presently working on an RC motor reversing switch for my brushed motor. I had considered trying to RC the sails, but find it unecessary by setting the yards to freewheel with the wind, and using power to direct the boat to an appropriate angle. Further plans are to design the cabin to be removable for rudder servo access but visible when on display or operation. All of the sticks I plan to lathe into stand off scale, for reasons of strength. The plastic is just too brittle as I had found in a previous attempt with this kit. However This is a make it up as I go deal, so who knows what the end product will be. but so far estimates seem plausable.
Much of he experience I am using on this kit was gleened from my Mary J ward Schooner kit which I scaled to aprox 1/20 scale.

The beauty of the Revelle kit is its size and price. I also believe teh formula forthe palstic is more durable than other RC ship kits I tried to convert.

Lessons learned. For Gods sake, watch your ballast. One really feels stupid balasting shot into the hull with epoxy before one realizes that a sailing keel is needed and... The weight of the completed ship!!!!! Oh Oh LOL.

Ok Y'all, This will be a long term rainy day project, but pics will follow. Thoughts and comments welcome.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:35 PM
Harquebus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Waiting to see pics since you've already started. Threads are useless without pics.