Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

RC boats and 3D printing

Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

RC boats and 3D printing

Old 05-20-2015, 04:29 AM
macdonald.laura92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC boats and 3D printing

Hey there!

My name's Laura, and I'm a 3D printing enthusiast. I have a fiend who is currently building an RC Queen Mary 2 with help from a 3D printer.
I'm curious to see how widespread 3D printing is used in the model-making community.

Have any of you designed models on a 3D printer? Are any of you designing or building a 3D printed model boat?

- LM
Old 05-20-2015, 09:13 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I have heard of people using a 3D printer to make dummy engines for scale hydroplanes, antique aircraft and some types of cars, never seen a completed model made that way
Old 05-21-2015, 02:52 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Lots of small manufacturers using 3D printing and CAD to produce prototypes for moulding. These invariably need a great deal of cleaning to get the required standard of finish, but are very convenient as they can be readily rescaled. Hobby level machines are nowhere near good enough yet, commercial quality units represent a huge investment.
A friend or a fiend? Or both?
Old 05-22-2015, 03:02 AM
macdonald.laura92

Originally Posted by mfr02
Lots of small manufacturers using 3D printing and CAD to produce prototypes for moulding. These invariably need a great deal of cleaning to get the required standard of finish, but are very convenient as they can be readily rescaled. Hobby level machines are nowhere near good enough yet, commercial quality units represent a huge investment.
A friend or a fiend? Or both?
A friend, definitely! Though you could say his abilities on CAD are truly fiendish indeed!

But I quite agree on the quality aspect. It's hard work getting models to a really decent quality. My new machine is much better for it.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:08 PM
mitchlandry

I have a hobby grade machine and have used it for some accessories, not really any structure parts on the boat.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:25 AM
patmat

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Most "hobby" or "home" printers will not create anything usable for the finer details. They can be used for crude items, or functional parts like custom motor mounts or such.
There are some SLA printers in the $3000+ range that can do it, with a lot of trouble... much easier and more efficient to take your CAD designs to a commercial shop like Shapeways, and get good quality parts off a multi-jet printer that costs MUCH more... Pricey parts, but it pays off in the end.

I've done a lot of this- the research, CAD design, and sourcing and assembly of printed parts. The model below is a 1:24 static model, but I also sell many of the parts through a Shapeways shop for use on R/C models. While the hull is traditional wood construction, virtually everything above the deck is 3D printed (even the cabin).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pt-61_01.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	2120393   Click image for larger version

Name:	pt-61_09.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	2120394   Click image for larger version

Name:	zz_8654.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	175.0 KB