Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

48" Dumas pt 109

I have a older built 48" Dumas pt 109 I'm looking to repower. I only deal with nitro airplanes and have no idea about electric motors. I'd .like to keep the three prop setup. What I'm looking for are recommendations for motor, esc, batteries, cooling of motors etc. Thanks in advance. Jerry

gcross1784@yahoo.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Airzona,

Depends mostly on how much money you want to spend. Check out these sites as they may give you some ideas. http://www.mackproductsrc.com and www.offshoreelectrics.com. Brushless motors are the best if you want speed but are more expensive then brushed motors, though they are getting cheaper. Especially on E-Bay. I have older AstroFlight brushed motors in my PT and Donzi. The Donzi is very fast with .25 size AstroFlight motors. They are not easy to find anymore though. I also have Aquacraft motors in 2 scale deep vee's and they are very good motors. I have my PT set up with 3 shafts but only the 2 outboard shafts have motors, the middle one free wheels. I haven't run it yet but if the middle prop gives too much drag I will just remove prop when I run it.

Hope this helps,

Keith
    P-38 Brotherhood #17

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    On both of mine like Keith I only powered my outboard shafts and my middle one was only for static display. (Removed middle prop for running)
    I have one powered with Graupner Speed 700. These are high RPM motors but they sure suck the power. My second one is powered with .25 Astro's. These were more efficient but very expensive.
    For power I was running 12V gel cell batteries. Heavy but gave me some decent run times.

When I get back into running these I might upgrade with brushless motors and Lipo batteries. (Just have to be very careful with the Lipo's

The Speed 700 at 12 volts rpm is about 22,000 unloaded.
    The Hobbyking brushless 3648-1450kv on 4S Lipo batteries is 21460rpm , but, about 950 watts more powerful.
    So you can use the same props(e.g. 3blade 37mm x 1.4 pitch).
    Recommended battery size 5000 to 5800mah 40C.

You require 3 brushless 60 amp plus ESC's with two Y connectors to link back to the receiver.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by canabus View Post
    The Speed 700 at 12 volts rpm is about 22,000 unloaded.
    The Hobbyking brushless 3648-1450kv on 4S Lipo batteries is 21460rpm , but, about 950 watts more powerful.
    So you can use the same props(e.g. 3blade 37mm x 1.4 pitch).
    Recommended battery size 5000 to 5800mah 40C.

You require 3 brushless 60 amp plus ESC's with two Y connectors to link back to the receiver.

Outstanding information!!!
    Will definitely save me a lot of research time when I get my PT boats ready to run again.
    Thanks again!!!!!

Hi
    We use the car ESC's (HK-60SL or the HK-100A) with programming card.
    These are really easy to setup and work great at slow speed(the water-cooled one's require plumbing and do not cool at slow speed).