Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

One of the most daunting tasks in RC scale modeling: finding right-size figures.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

One of the most daunting tasks in RC scale modeling: finding right-size figures.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 09:03 AM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question One of the most daunting tasks in RC scale modeling: finding right-size figures.

If you ever try Googling for people figures for your scale model boat, you might find this a day-long project. Plenty of stuff abounds for train modelers in their respective scales as HO, N, O, G, etc., but for the RC modeler in the larger scales we seemed doomed at times.

It is almost as if we have to have wood-carving, machining or sculpting skills to fashion our own figures.

If you Google "Adrians Marine Figures", this web site may be of help. It seems they have figures in both seated and standing positions available.
I am planning a 1/15 scale boat, and 1/16 scale is advertised.

I have just emailed AMF asking about availability of what I have in mind and a price quote.

What on-line sources have you discovered for scale RC boat crew figures, seated, crouched, bendable or standing
in the appropriate work clothing/uniforms for civilian maritime activity?
Old 04-28-2016, 11:05 PM
canabus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jon
Some English companies do figures but yes large scale is a problem.

I build a old speed boat at 1/12 scale and only found the size I required in a cheap shop as wrestling figures.

OK out in the water but close up only a mother could love them.
$2 each so I got 20 !!!

A 3D printer would be nice and made your own!!!
Old 06-11-2016, 08:04 PM
E-Challenged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am looking for a 6 or 7" tall girl figure to make a wing walker for my Dynam WACO biplane. I gave up and whittled my own people figures for my Sterling 63-Foot motoryacht model. Not as difficult as you might think. Use hard balsa for head, softer balsa for arms legs, hands and feet. Paint with flat craft paints. Not hard to pose in sitting, or standing positions. I even made some bathing beauties for the deck.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CC Front View Lights Off.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	2167443   Click image for larger version

Name:	CC Rear View 3 Lights Off.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	2167444  
Old 06-11-2016, 09:13 PM
canabus

I found some figures for 3/4" to the foot scale in the kids section of a large shop.
These were action military one's, swivel at the neck, shoulders, elbows, waist, tops of legs, knees.

Six different one's including two females(4 and 1/2 inches).
My wrestling figures are you 6" size but no females.
The Sterling looks great!!!
Old 07-06-2016, 09:45 AM
cartix
My Feedback: (5)

This guy has some good figures.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/panzervstanks
Old 07-08-2016, 04:53 AM
canabus

I found some wrestling figure's with bendable limbs in a cheap shop for $2AU each about 1/12 scale.

Also some for 3/4" to the foot in the kids section of a large department store, $7AU for three(bendable limbs also).

The local hobby shop had some for $20 each!!!!

Also check out computer gaming shops for figure's, I got three for $15AU on sale.

Some of these are not pretty but look OK out on the water.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Crew 1.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	760.8 KB
ID:	2171864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Humbrol Crew.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	2171865  
Old 08-03-2016, 03:07 PM
rcboaterbill

Originally Posted by cartix
This guy has some good figures.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/panzervstanks
I've purchased several of his figures sets so far. I've got 1/144 scale USN flight deck crew for my USS Guadalcanal. I bought some 1/24 scale USN PT boat crew for my PT-141. I have a couple of his USCG crewmembers for my 1/16 scale Dumas USCG 36' Motor Lifeboat.

Luis is the guy behind this. If you see something you want, just email him and ask. For example, I asked if he could take his 1/24 PT boat figure, lose the sidearm and steel helmet, and to scale him to 1/16 scale. A couple of weeks later, the 1/16 USCG figures were in his Shapeways shop!

You do want to pay attention to which material the figures are printed in. Some of them are a little "jaggy" looking, sorta like pictures on a low-resolution dot matrix printer. But even so, the figures look a heck of lot better when painted up than any converted toy figure.