Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

18 inch scratch built small cabin cruiser

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

18 inch scratch built small cabin cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 08:10 AM
Popeye17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 18 inch scratch built small cabin cruiser

Hello everyone, I'm new here. I'm building a small 18 inch cabin cruiser, and am looking for suggestions on what size prop to use and where to get it. Also what angle to drive it from. It's my first boat, and hope to use the electrics and motor from an old RC plane I got at a yard sale years ago. There aren't any hobby shops close, so, internet is my only source of info. Any thoughts on the matter are greatly appreciated.

Jim A
Old 12-15-2017, 08:45 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try Dumas Products. Dan

MACK Products Model Marine

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-s...l#post11009591
Old 12-15-2017, 11:46 AM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

OP, a lot depends on exactly what motor and ESC you salvaged from your plane. Some may work fine, some may not, but we cannot give helpful suggestions without this information. A boat this size will not require a lot of power, if the motor etc. are from a larger plane they likely won’t work.

You will need a battery and a charger to match the motor and controller. What frequency does your radio have? Some airplane radios cannot be legally used in the US for ground or water models.

Is this boat a kit? If so the the plans may show the motor position and shaft angle. Without that information I would mount the motor as far forward as practical and run the shaft through the bottom so that the top of the prop is about 3 mm below the hull bottom. Of course you won’t know this until you answer the questions above.

Few hobby stores have many usable parts for boats, so you are not at a disadvantage. The site below is a very good one for both parts and information found on the site’s forum.

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/

Old 12-16-2017, 02:52 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

For a cabin cruiser of that size, rather than a race boat that offshoreelectrics seem to specialize in, a 3 blade prop about 3/4" to 1" driven by a 385 brushed motor running on between 1/2 and 3/4 its rated voltage. Again, for cruising type boat, within quite broad limits, prop angle is not critical. What fits will work perfectly well, but a long shaft with the motor as far forward as it will easily go is the best way. You get a shallow angle and plenty of room in the rest of the boat for the other stuff like radio, ESC, servo and battery. The boat is quite small, so shouldn't need a lot of power.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:23 AM
Popeye17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your suggestions. You have been most helpful. The boat is being scratch built from plans for an 18 footer that I scaled down. It was originally set up as an outboard, with a false transom so it looked like an inboard. The motor was from a small plane, set up as a pusher. It's quite old but still runs well. This is being a real fun project. I can't wait to run it.

Last edited by Popeye17; 12-22-2017 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Additions