Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Looking for a complete kit for battleship or destroyer.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Looking for a complete kit for battleship or destroyer.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 01:59 PM
bdreed
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a complete kit for battleship or destroyer.

Hello -

I would like to know where I can purchase a complete kit for a 4-6 foot battleship or destroyer. I'd like to model to look scale and run on electric motors.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 04-09-2004, 05:23 PM
Tachikaze

Default RE: Looking for a complete kit for battleship or destroyer.

If you are looking for a simple plastic kit that you can convert to R/C, Academy makes the Bismark and Tripitz. Tamiya has the Hood, Bismark, Tripitz..... Arii does the Yamato, Doyusha dos the CV Shinano, Yamato and her sister Mushashi. Lindberg does the ever popular Blue Devil.
As far as I know anything larger you will have to be looking at a specific fiberglass plug kit that is built for R/C. Try this [link]http://www.scaleshipyard.com/[/link]
Old 04-09-2004, 06:42 PM
bdreed
My Feedback: (-1)

Thanks for the info!

Brian
Old 04-10-2004, 08:23 PM
x-craft
My Feedback: (3)

bdreed, I'm not new to rc boating but am new to warships. I just started building a deans marine narvik class german destroyer. It's 96th scale and 52" long. They also have a fletcher class destroyer that's the same scale along with a lot of other boats to choose from. From what I see these kits are very complete. I believe the manuals could be improved upon but if your and experienced builder it should be no problem. I got mine through www.loyalhannadockyard.com . I met Don in Toledo and he's a really nice guy to deal with. They are a good company to deal with. One warning, if you happen upon northernstarmall.com STAY AWAY FROM THEM! That's my recommendation and only my opinion, I ended up canceling my credit card and getting it reissued with a new number. I believe they had every intention of taking my money and not shipping my kit. I have heard from others that it's a wise idea to stay away from them. Don't let the prices entice you. I also found some other 96th scale kits that are build up hulls at www.badshipmodels.com . please be advised that I have no experience with Bad ship models but from what I see on their website, I think I will try them next time. I like building up hulls. If anybody had any comments on badshipmodels.com I would love to hear them. Have fun whatever you decide to do, I'd be interested in what you decide on.

Tim
Old 06-17-2004, 01:34 PM
subsinker
My Feedback: (61)

Deans Marine is the way to go. I have built several over the years (HMS Cossack, Robert Peary & Trein Maersk cargo vessel) and all went together well. The hull plating & detail is great, the parts are all laid out well and the plasticard for decks, structures, etc is included. I will add though, if you are new to shipbuilding, go with something a little less challenging. A plastic model makes a great start to cut your teeth on the work up to a kit like these. They do take considerable time and effort to make look right. But, the trade off is that when done, they are showpeices. As for BAD models, they are nice kits but you will have to build everything. I know of a couple of modelers that use their fittings and buy F/G hulls to build.

Best of luck to you & enjoy it!
Old 06-17-2004, 01:53 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had dealings in the past with The ScaleShipyard. They do excellent work, BUT that is if you can get it. I waited almost 18 months for pieces for my destroyer, and they were paid for up front. It took about 10 long distance calls, and threats from with a lawyer to get my items. My story is not the only one. I know folks that are still waiting. Their website says 10-12 weeks, but there is no way you will get your products in that lenghth of time. My ship , when it is finished will be awesome, but sitting around waiting for things, with a 8 foot destroyer sitting on the bench is not very pleasant. If you want something smaller, the above mentioned companies appear to be very reputable and have great products.
TOmmy
Old 06-27-2004, 11:29 PM
snuff

swampworks, good boats cheap![link=http://www.swampworks.com/]swampworks[/link]
forget about all the other places!! this place is awesome!!!!
Old 07-04-2004, 02:41 PM
Sarges_heroes2003
My Feedback: (6)

battlers connection!! they have fiberglass ships like swampworks does but offers models that swampworks doesn't. USS South Dakota class BB's for instance, ive been in contact with swampworks about this for a while and they have been working on a sodak hull mold since last summer' so im not holding my breath for it.

P.S. the site is www.battlersconnection.com
Old 10-31-2004, 10:16 PM
Sarges_heroes2003

and still do not have a sodak, me mad at swampy!!
Old 11-01-2004, 12:12 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

ORIGINAL: Sarges_heroes2003

and still do not have a sodak, me mad at swampy!!
So are you recommending that people do not order from swampworks?

If you order the plans for the South Dakota Class Battleship(hull lines/sections plus deck and profiles drawings) from Floating drydock, you can then cut the frames, balsa sheet the frames, and fiberglass your own hull in a weekend.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:24 PM
Sarges_heroes2003

Umi,
I was in e-mail contact with the swampworks people for a long time. I had my heart set on a sodak battleship for r/c combat. he was suposed to make a mold and begin selling the ships as kits(which is why i was waiting for him) but that was a while ago. he does ship the products, that are listed on his site, quickly and will keep in e-mail contact with you on your kits progress.
but I am in luck, battlers connection has grown up and now has the ship im lookin for. so either of those companies are good ones. swampworks & battlers connection products are used in the rc warship combat segment of the rc boating hobby, so u know there stuff works even if it gets wet(a sink).

U should be set for any sortie u set out on, even if u accedentally sink a scale model.
remmember in r/c warship combat over HALF of each fleet WILL sink even more if one side scores early battle ship sinks with little dammage to them selves.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:13 PM
Boulderboater

Hi Brian,
I have just completed a 65inch battleship, (Rodney), which I got as a semi-kit fromFleetscale. They have a brilliant catalog. Most of their battleships come as hulls with very detailed plans, plus a pick list of ever little part you could ever want! The main gun barrels and turrets of course, but also 8-barrelled pompom, Oelikons, glazed portholes,winches vents, funnels... Have a look at www.fleetscale.com. The catalog is better than the website. Beware, the weight can be suprise. My battleship weighs in at over 45pounds and is quite a lift getting it in and out of the water. I have modified a wheelbarrow so that I can wheel it to the waters edge, but I need help getting it into the back of my jeep. The weight is a bonus though when adding extra stuff. I have nine guns independently controlled by microprocessors in the hull, and am planning to put a miniature TV camera and transmitter in the bridge.
Goodluck
Paul