Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Any AMSTERDAM (Or her sisters) Builders?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Any AMSTERDAM (Or her sisters) Builders?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 01:53 AM
pro27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any AMSTERDAM (Or her sisters) Builders?

em sent..
thanks[8D]
Old 07-02-2004, 09:08 AM
LtDoc

Something I've found with almost any 'kit', is that the instructions are not written in stone. As long as you think about it first, deviating from the instructions makes some (later) things much simpler. Painting the stacks and platforms is ~much~ easier if you do it before attaching to the model, for instance. (Ask me how I know! Ain't hind-sight great?)
I'm waiting on some brass rod stock for the railings, rather than using the supplied wire. I have little 'luck' using the wire (guess I'm just not patient enough). The 'rod' rails take more effort, but the (my) results are much better...
- 'Doc
Old 07-02-2004, 09:39 AM
Xfactory
My Feedback: (3)

Going to start on mine soon and I am planning on doing as much filling and sanding during construction as possible. Looking at the instructions seems the cabin would be a real pain to sand after it's completed.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:15 AM
pro27

Not just the sanding, but the painting also, railings, ladders......
alot of these things I find are easier to install / do before going to the next level up. Same goes for some of the platforms and pre-drilling the holes for thr rail stanchions.

Looking ahead in the pic plans booklet will save many a headache as you progress with the build..
Old 07-07-2004, 07:40 AM
LtDoc

Here's my 'Amsterdam'. Still not finished by any means, but it's starting to look like a boat!
- 'Doc
(Sorry about the quality of the photograph.)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12431.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	151179  
Old 07-07-2004, 12:08 PM
JBoss
My Feedback: (1)

Your Amsterdam Looks Great. A bit more scale then my Northern Clipper. A constant work in progress

Name:	Qn38290.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	151213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37411.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	151214  
Old 07-08-2004, 01:52 AM
pro27

You could compare scale ship modeling to model railroading............

it's only done when you say it is, and then you find something else you can add...
Old 07-09-2004, 01:21 PM
Foggy Bottom

LOOKIN' GOOD!
I wish mine was progressing as fast!
But other things (Real life dammit) get in the way (This is when Santa's are booked, that's what I do to support this habit)
I just ordered the second speed control, the sound board, & an electronic switch board from Eric Amerault It's starting to get crowded in that hull!
Ain't we got fun?
Old 07-12-2004, 01:04 AM
pro27

Just had an after-thought........

what is the best way to route the antenna wire for the reciever???
Old 07-12-2004, 04:25 PM
LtDoc

pro27,
If you can, route a wire up through the superstructure, or stacks. Use fairly small wire for the boat's 'antennas' and connect them to the wire going to the receiver. Hey, if your boat has antennas already there, why not use them? I ran mine up to the inside base of one of the stacks, then CA'ed the wire tot he stack (looks sort of like a steam line, kinda). Then up through the platform and up the rear mast, then to the forward platform. No idea how long it is, but it shouldn't really make a lot of difference. The antenna is conneted tot he receiver with a 'bullet' connector. Everything comes loose for removing the superstructure. Also plan on hiding a switch under one of the deck over hangs, won't have to remove the superstructure all the time (lazy)...
- 'Doc

PS - And after having to re-do them at least once per stanchion, those have got to be some of the worst stanchions/rail posts I've ever seen! If egg shells were as fragile as the little mounting thingys, there wouldn't be any more chickens.
Got tired of waiting for the brass rod for the rails so used some old woven fishing line. "Sharpening" one end by coating with CA, makes it 'thread' easily, no bends/kinks. Painting makes the line stiff.

Just for curiosity's sake, what is the double lined thingy between first and second level of the deck house supposed to be? To high to be a handrail. Too low for an effective antenna. Just a place to hang christmas decorations??
Old 07-19-2004, 04:29 PM
Foggy Bottom

Unless were not on the same page those are the footrests used when cleaning the windows above, the real thing has a single rail to stand on and another to clip your safety/hold on to. i I am sending a picture of MALABAR's bridge (the best I have, but not very good, darnit)Notice the armored covers for all the lower windows! she must be really a wet boat in a high sea!

Well the third speed control, the sound system, & the switch box arrived, back to building boxes----
Foggy bottom-Dave

Name:	Sp45113.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	155242  
Old 07-19-2004, 06:48 PM
LtDoc

Foggy B.,
After thinking about it, that's what I figured it had to be. If I'd think before asking, I probably wouldn't appear to be as dumb as I do. Then again, maybe not...
- 'Doc
Old 07-20-2004, 01:00 PM
Foggy Bottom

now it's My turn:
What is that object centered on tha deck just above the bridge? (It has a curved railing around it, so it probably rototes) MALABAR's armament is listed as a cauple of 12mm MGs so it's not a gun director.
Second Question:
Several Pictures show this class with some kind of black (Windsock-like) thing flying from the top of the funnel structures. (it appears to be soft & changes shape/direction with the wind,
Do you suppose they are particulate collectors? (in the enclosed photo they are RED in most pictures they are black & hard to see.)
Ok thats enough dumb questions for today! (But I gotta bunch!)

Good light & quiet surroundings to ya!

Name:	Sq45581.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	155533  
Old 07-20-2004, 08:56 PM
LtDoc

Foggy B'.,
The red things are fire monitors/cannons. The thingy on top of the bridge is a compass, and the arms are marker lights port/starboard (red/green). Or at least that's what they are on the 'Amsterdam'. Red is the 'normal' color for a fire monitor, but that's not always the case, especially with the military.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:38 PM
Foggy Bottom

We're NOT on the same page---
The things I'm talking about are Conical shapes, Black in most photos but red in this one, and seem to be made of fabric, like a windsock they appear to be about 2-3 feet in diameter at the opening and taper down to 1 foot at the other end 8 feet away. they always seem to be pointing in different directions. they are 10 feet Aft of the fire monitors. They are NOT on the Turkish DARICA so they MAY be polution control (Particulate matter traps?)

That may well be a military compass sender...

FB
Old 07-21-2004, 10:03 PM
LtDoc

Foggy B.,
You got me! I have no idea what they could be.

Took the 'Amsterdam' to the pond for ballasting today. Actually, I just wanted to see if the dang thing floated! It does. It leaks through the stuffing box, badly. Also don't have near enough 'birdshot' to get it down to the water line. Oh, for joy...

A hint for those who haven't put the handrails on yet. Don't! Not until you've finished ballasting and get the thing ready to sail. Knocked the @#$% things loose again! They're comming off till everything else is finished.
Found a very nice electric motor at the auto-parts house! 12 volts, about 4" long, 3" in diameter, reversible, something between 5000 and 1000 rpm, $20.00! No idea what the torque is but I can't stop the motor with my fingers (or stop it from starting, either). Also don't know what it's supposed to be for, heater fan motor, maybe?
- 'Doc
Old 07-25-2004, 09:24 AM
LtDoc

...Let me correct part of the above post. The stuffing box wasn't leaking. The leak was from an unsealed cavity around the stuffing box (who'da thunk it?). A bottle of CA carefully dribbled into that cavity around the prop end of the stuffing box cured it (so far). As soon as I get my fingers 'unstuck' from the hull, CA bottle, left forearm, forehead and nose, I'm gonna finish the @#$% thing...
- 'Doc
Old 07-25-2004, 04:39 PM
pro27

[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]

Only those of us that have been there have the right to laugh at that........

I feel for ya doc....
Old 07-26-2004, 12:58 PM
Foggy Bottom

That means I can Laugh And Laugh and Laugh...
Malabar on hold for a COMMISSIONED non boat Project ("Quick & simple", it says in the fine print)

Foggy
Old 08-03-2004, 10:24 AM
Thor_Pat

@LtDoc

Sorry guys, I am from Belgium and just found out about this forum !
Great to be able to discuss these problems.

Since I will be purchasing and starting construction of the Amsterdam one
of these days, this thread took my attention.

LtDoc ... for masking of those allready installed windows, ever thought of
using Micromask ?
This is a liquid masking film. Just apply with a brush and cut off after curing.
Spray wath you need to spray and take away the mask.

I allready used it when building cars (static) and it really works well !
Old 08-03-2004, 10:38 AM
LtDoc

Thor_Pat,
Unfortunately, where I live, not a sould knows what 'Micromask' is (masking tape is hi-tech around here!). If I had access to it I'd certainly use it! Where do you get it?
- 'Doc
Old 08-03-2004, 10:54 AM
pro27

Try this...

Hobbico MasterMask , part #HCAR3410
Bob Dively Liquid Masking Film, #DIVR3000, DIVR3010, DIVR3020
Parma 701 Liquid mask, PARR5000

Those are all Tower Hobbies stock Numbers

There are also other makers of the stuff here in the US. These are just a few......

There are very few LHS that I have gone into over the years that DOES NOT carry one brand or another.
Just ask for liquid masking film.
If the guy behind the counter doesn't know what you are talking about, then they need to find a job better suited to them and their hobby experiences.....
Old 08-03-2004, 12:09 PM
Thor_Pat

Here in Europe we get it from [link]http://www.grandprixmodels.co.uk/index.html[/link].
They are specialized in static cars and all what comes with it.
Old 08-07-2004, 01:28 PM
LtDoc

Gotta stop 'dithering' around and finish this thing. I'm down to buying the batteries and getting the motor shaft machined down for a coupling. I think I've been 'thinking' that if I sit around long enough, 'they' will just send me the batteries and the machine shop will come ask if they can do the machine work for me! Repainted the thing a couple of times, trying out different paint schemes. (Purple was a 'bad' idea, so was violet, oh well.) Got the 'main' ballast shaped to fit the hull and glued into one chunk (removable). Can't do the 'trim' ballast till all the rest is done. Really ought to get another receiver and ESC so I don't have to scavange them from another model. [Who ever stole my other model with the ESC and 2nd receiver, I wish you'd bring them back. Don't ring the door bell to let me know they're sitting on the porch, I don't need to go to jail!] Need to get a couple of clamps so I can glue the aft deck in. Might hit the postman up for some of those big rubberbands they use! (I'm NOT cheap, I'm 'frugal'! And my postman is a 'gurl', Mercy!)
- 'Doc

PS - Why am I telling you all this? Cuz' it's either that or cut the @&#$ grass!
Old 08-07-2004, 01:58 PM
Thor_Pat

Talking about making the right choise ...

And some people say Americans and Europeans are different !
So long for that thought .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.