Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

large scale boas/ships 1/6th or larger

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

large scale boas/ships 1/6th or larger

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 07:18 PM
skybox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default large scale boas/ships 1/6th or larger

i have been on several sites for planes where people are busy building planes in huge scales like myself,,i build in 1/6th or larger,,my latest plane plans are of a crop duster styled short fuselage in 1/6th scale with a wingspan of over 6 feet,,,but what i dont see is people building even the simplist designed boats in larger forms,boats like the one currently in design stages of a 120" long service/crew vessel with multiple functions not counting the steering and propulsion systems,,but also like the basic grocery or "GOAT" boats found on the rivers here in the u.s.,,,small vessels of 20-40 foot lengths with 10-18 foot beams,used for primarilly shallow waters or protected lakes and rivers

i have a smaller version of a grocery boat----goat boat----that is 24"long with a 12" beam and a 4" deep hull in scale at 1/24thi also have a motor barge based loosely on about five different vietnam era vessels in 1/35th scale with the same basic flat bottom shallow hull design with a single screw and rudder,,,i am planning to build both of these crafts in the immence 1/6th scale,,,,,,,what are you plans,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thomas
Old 06-18-2004, 07:21 PM
skybox

Default RE: large scale boas/ships 1/6th or larger

gees all that and i missed the "t" in boats,,,,what a goof.oh well
Old 06-18-2004, 11:16 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

I think part of the problem is the Coast Guard may get involved when the boat gets big enough, and there is lots of sky to fly planes in, but sailable water becomes more limited. Planes didn't often reach 800 or more feet long. At 1/6th scale, an Iowa class battleship comes out to 143 feet- 4 inches.
Not exactly something you keep in the garage. That's three quarters of a city block.

I think you need to have a look around Modelwarships Underway's web site.
Gallery 13
http://wmunderway.8m.com/gallery13/gallery13.htm

Robert Voorhees Pt boats
http://www.rktman.com/rlh/gallery/robert/robert.html

Brad Shuldt's Bismark
http://groups.msn.com/ModelersAndHob...to&PhotoID=176
http://groups.msn.com/ModelersAndHob...oto&PhotoID=87

A shot of three of the 8 foot Heavy cruisers and small destroyers in our club.
http://www.nwlink.com/~pfleming/indexphotos/Start.JPG
And one of those 8 foot cruisers sailing past a previously shelled island target during a game.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:41 AM
Xfactory
My Feedback: (3)

I am finalizing drawings for a 1" = 1' scale PT boat, it will be 80" long and powered with 3 gas engines, I have wanted to do it for some time now and just about ready to start building, is that big enough ?
Old 06-19-2004, 11:18 AM
skybox

hey guys,,,
well yeah 1"-1' scale is big no getting around that,,,i also like 1/12th scale,,,nice scale for sizing and replication,,,and as far as war ships like destroyers etc that come in at 100's of feet long is not exactly what i was talking about and i think was taken a bit out of context,,,,,a service vessel or fishing craft in true scale size of anything from 10-80 feet in length even as much as 100-120 feet in length is doable,,,,my large scale indesign stages now is of a vessel measuring 60 feet long which scales down to 120 inches(10 feet) with approximately a 38 inch beam hull depth around 24 inches and keel to mast head peak will be about 5 feet so out of the water height will be about 8 feet once all the antenna array and mast heads are in place for sailing

there are sites/clubs out there building large craft in smaller scales which come in at 10-18 even 20 feet long built and on-site assembeled in pieces with multiple hull sections and super structures being brought in seperate vehicles at times even in trailers,,i have seen limited pics of a guy who built a pt boat in 1/4th scale i think that was big enough for him to put in a seat and ride in it looking out through the cabin structure,,now i will admit that this guy wnet to the extreme of even what i am thinking about but you have to admit,a striking thing to see at your local watering hole or boating lake.....thomas
Old 06-19-2004, 11:36 AM
Umi_Ryuzuki

i have seen limited pics of a guy who built a pt boat in 1/4th scale i think that was big enough for him to put in a seat and ride in it looking out through the cabin structure
Yeah, I thing I had a link in my post if you wanted to archive any of the images.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Bob Heitmanek

skybox,
About 10 years ago I built a 7 foot long model of USS Green Bay (PG-101). Scale is 1:24 on that one. It's a nice scale to work in, if you like doing virtually everything yourself--I mean, manufacturing fittings. There are very few fittings available in such large scales, so you need to be adept at a lot of different techniques and disciplines. It's a challenge...
Bob
Old 12-23-2007, 07:31 PM
bigford

a 1/50 scale supertanker of the knock nevis would be around 34 feet long be 4.5 feet wide

Old 12-24-2007, 02:39 PM
green-boat

Some years ago I enlarged a set of plans out of a 50's Russian modeling magazine for a Russian Naptha tanker. I enlarged it to 1/48'th scale which gave me a rough size of 18 odd feet long by 3' wide with a 14" waterline to keel and another 14" from waterline to deck. Kinko's thought I was nuts but I got it done. What changed my mind on building it was that I don't have a trailer to transport it and the 3300 pounds needed to get it to float at the water line. It would be probably be better if I started it from a canoe.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:22 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

1/10 Higgins WW II PTB. Easier on a small boat trailer. 8' & 80 #.
1/10 A-10 Warthog Blue foam scratch build.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10342.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	833251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63176.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	833252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13686.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	833253  
Old 12-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Ivanawphalytch

Back in the 60's I built a 48" Chris Craft cabin cruiser onboard the USS Midway. I'd like to find plans for something like that now for a winter project.

Let's see......USS Midway.....997 feet long......1/10 scale....99.7 feet......airwing of ultralights?
In the words of the fat man from up north......HOHOHO.

Ivan