Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Successful Sea Trials for an Old Model...

Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Successful Sea Trials for an Old Model...

Old 07-02-2004, 11:37 AM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Successful Sea Trials for an Old Model...

Just over 20 yrs ago When I was a kid, I built a Dumas 40' Coast Guard Boat model (35 inches long). It was my first attempt at Polyester Resin, etc... My parents recently dropped it off (get your junk outta our house! )so I decided to redo the insides.

After several orders from Tower, I've installed 2 Graupner 600s, 2 7.2v 2400mAh packs, and 2 Traxxas speed controls. This morning we had successful sea trials! The water had swells of over an inch, but the boat took it well! I admit driving it and taking pics was a bit of a feat though... Heres a pic!

Ship Ahoy, this combo seems to work well with this model, atleast... If I were to do anything with upgrading the power, I'd see about getting some weight out of the 25 oz batteries. Maybe MiMHs, or something else. I get about 15 min of good running, and can easily milk it to 20 if I'm easy with the power.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67971.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	149584  
Old 07-02-2004, 12:01 PM
pompebled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Successful Sea Trials for an Old Model...

A very nice looking boat indeed!

Are you running it on lead-acid/gel batteries now?

Changing to Nicads (Sanyo 2400) or NiMh (GP 3300) does not only reduces the weight, but increases the power available for the motors.

Regards, Jan.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:13 PM
Ron S

Thanks Jan!

I'm currently using NiCad packs - the types the RC car guys use. I think I'll get some use out of these for a while, then look into switching to NiMHs. I've never used NiMHs before and need to check if my FMA (or Simprop in Europe) Supernova will handle them.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:07 AM
pompebled

If your charger looks like this one (specs-wise) it should. This is the Intelli V-2, the latest version, V-3, has more options and a lit display (who charges in the dark, I wonder...)

I'm not sure changing to NiMh is absolutely nessecary though, the NiMhs deliver the best performance when used immedeately after being charged (hot< 45degrees C), this applies most to speed boats.
You can't charge them the day before and run hem cold the next day, without damaging the cells.

With NiCads, you can.

Regards, Jan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85324.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	149830  
Old 07-05-2004, 07:37 PM
Ron S

That is the charger I have - they do NiMHs as you point out. I didn't realize NiMH batteries had limitations regarding charging the day before... Strange. Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-06-2004, 10:40 AM
pompebled

You cán charge NiMhs the day before running the boat (or two, for that matter) when you peak the cells before running them.
Meaning: connecting them to the charger and let the Delta Peak Detection stop the charging proces, in most cases, the cells have become warm enough to run them without damage.

Running cold NiMhs in raceboats with high amp drawing motor(s) is particular damaging for the cells.

Regards, Jan.