Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

African Queen

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

African Queen

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 08:41 PM
ALDOAVME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default African Queen

Thinking of building this kit from billing boats. just curious if anyone has built one of there kits or even this one? i would like to use a live steam engine on it i hace seen then for sale i think it would be a perfect fit im sure its been done. does anyone have/use/ a steam engine? and what are your thoughts on them thanks in advance!
Old 11-23-2004, 09:59 AM
LtDoc

Default RE: African Queen

ALDOAVME,
I have no 'hands on' experience with the 'AfricanQueen' so take this as hear-say, and for what it's worth. From what I understand and have heard, the 'A.Q.' isn't a beginner's boat, it takes some learned skills to build it correctly. As with almost all of 'Billing's kits, the supplied wood could be 'better'. It isn't totally bad, but certainly not the most 'select' quality (if there really is such a thing!). Having said that, it's sure a nice boat though, and one that most people will recognize!
Steam...
One of these days, I'm gonna try that! But I think it may be awhile (lol). Most people/modelers have little, or no experience with steam. There's a lot to learn about how a steam engine works, especially the safety part of it. Educating yourself is the first step, and a necessary one! It's just too expensive to learn the 'hard way' (not to mention dangerous, even the small engines). Again, having said all that, my 'next' boat ~was~ going to be one with a steam engine. (But, my modeling 'addiction' got the best of me before I could decide which one I wanted to try, so I've started another electric model.) My next 'next' model will be steam...
Good luck, and hope this may have helped.
- 'Doc
Old 11-23-2004, 10:25 AM
ALDOAVME

Thanks for the reply Im not so worried about the building part ive built a few wood ships already, but the steam engine is definatly a new animal. i just wanted to try something diffrent and i think this combination would be alot of fun. The only steam engine i know of is the one MACK sells. are there other ones available? they offer one built or a kit you can build yourself. Ill keep surfing
Old 01-03-2005, 12:47 PM
P40Tim

you might try contacting Pat Tritle about your African Queen project. He has built it and has good experience with it.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:18 AM
LtDoc

ALDOAVME,
There are several steam engines around. I certainly don't know about all of them but a search should turn up quite a few. If you have the bank account for it, there are several British steam engines that are very, very nice!
I've ordered a boat and steam engine so have to stop procrastinating about it - LOL. We can compare 'burns' later when you get yours going...
- 'Doc

Old 08-30-2005, 07:33 PM
rnik

just recieved the Queen as a gift. Im not new to model building or rc, but never tried steamand really want the Queen to run under the original power.
]
Should i finish her as a (ho-hum) electric or go for the steam engine, if i should do the steam , PLEASE help me install and run it.

Any and all help will be greatly accepted.

thanks ya all
Old 03-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Bernhard BB

hi... here is one i build
regards Bernhard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=844lZ8bJ7tY
Old 03-11-2008, 03:01 PM
dhenrypat

I am in the middle of building one, using the Wilesco D49 engine. It's a twin V, and almost too wide for the boat. If I were doing it again, I'd go for an in-line two cylinder engine, or an oscillating one cylinder. The disadvantage to a single cylinder engine is that it won't reverse.

And the shape of the hull makes it a bit difficult to get much speed - but then the original didn't have much either!

What ever engine you choose, make sure that it is firmly fastened down. These engines shake a bit, and mine almost came adrift at one point.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:37 AM
HS93

there is a nice hull just relised from kingston in the uk, may be a bit expensive postage to the USA but heaar it is http://www.kingstonmouldings.com/pdafricanqueen.htm .

Peter
Old 03-15-2008, 06:04 PM
hansvonpensch

Midwest makes two steam engins for about 80$ and 100$.