Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Converted A Plastic Model To R/C?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Has Anyone Converted A Plastic Model To R/C?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 02:24 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Has Anyone Converted A Plastic Model To R/C?

I have converted and run the Revell PT boat (12"?) and the USS Olympia to R/C.
Also the Lindberg fishing trawler, but I don't think I ever got that one wet.

The hacked servo is a good way to do a cheap ESC/motor. (Can't beat $10, but
it's even BETTER if you go to a swap meet and get them for $1 each because the
gears are stripped, which you don't need anyhow...)

All of my conversions used ACE pulse RO systems, but todays stuff is even
smaller and lighter. It would be hard to beat a higher voltage Speed 280-400 type
motor for a cheap power source on bigger plastic models. Vinyl tubing for
a universal joint, K&S brass tube and musicwire for shafts, Dumas nylon .049 props;
all keep the costs LOW. (cut the props down for smaller motors...)

That reminds me, my nephew has a big Lindberg Blue Devil Destroyer kit
which hes has completely lost interest in......time to ask about that item!
I have all the Lindberg kits in my stash for future diversion, along with
the newer Revell AG releases of the Savannah, the C4 freighter, the Harbor
Tug, the Glasgow...all nice little kits. I seem to prefer non-military working ships.

Dave
Old 12-24-2005, 10:57 PM
Turbobearcat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bobslr

Hi Mark
Yes I still have the cat,I once told my wife and daughter it was that stupid cat or me,they
wanted to know where to forward my mail to!
Anyway I got some pictures of my boat running did'nt come out that good and conditions were
terrible really windy and thunder and lightning so I had to make it quick
Here's what I used for radio eqipement and running gear

Mini servo for the steering mounted on it's side
Speed control is a Mini-con 4 from Hunter Systems in England, Proportional forward and reverse
The receiver is a standard Futaba 2 channel
I don't know what the motor is or where it came from It was given to me
I'm using 4 AA NiNH 2100 mah batteries
The U-joint is from Graupner and I had to sleeve that with brass tube to get it to work
The stuffing tube and prop shaft are home made as is the rudder
The Prop is a 20 mm Graupner

In the Photo's the boat is running about half speed,on smooth water at full speed the bow
wave comes up to just below the torpedo tube ramps in front of the door's.

Bob

Sorry that I have not wrote back sooner but I see we built our boats similiar , I will try and post more pictures if I haven't by now..my boat is powered by 8 AAA batteries and a small ESC 01 :-) this boat does run very well for roughtly 20-30 minutes by then it's time to bring it in.. but it does run very well..

What prop did you use?
Old 12-25-2005, 02:39 AM
bobslr

Hi Mark
Good to hear from you again.
I'm using a Graupner 20mm prop,and since I last heard from you I've added three 1/72
scale U-boat crew figure's to the bridge.
This is the second summer I've run the boat and never had a bit of trouble with it,Maybe not the fastest but it runs at about scale speed and I can run over an hour on a set of batteries.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12796.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	375370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73491.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	375371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52774.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	375372  
Old 12-26-2005, 11:50 AM
frankk

Tommygun, the most famous and widely converted plactic models were by far the one's LINDBERG MODELS made and still availabe either on EBAY or dealer's (BLUE DEVIL DESTROYER). Almost anyone who has been in R/C for awhile must have had a LINDBERG (PT-109) in their fleet. The models were very well detailed and easily converted to R/C with manufactures such as MACK PRODUCTS making complete conversion packages. By the way one one the models LINDBERG made was the 50' CHRIS-CRAFT CONNIE which was a truley a very detailed kit which was originally made by the MARX company. It is trully a classic and a collector's item. By the way MACK still offers complete conversion packages for the LINDBERG MODELS with electronic speed controls. www.mackproductsrc.com
Old 01-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Turbobearcat

ORIGINAL: bobslr

Hi Mark
Good to hear from you again.
I'm using a Graupner 20mm prop,and since I last heard from you I've added three 1/72
scale U-boat crew figure's to the bridge.
This is the second summer I've run the boat and never had a bit of trouble with it,Maybe not the fastest but it runs at about scale speed and I can run over an hour on a set of batteries.
Bob
Bob

I found a set of white metal props that are correct for the ROG Schnellboot, they are sold in a package of 3 for $4.00 dollars..

I believe Pacific Military hobbies is the place... I should get my props towards the end of the week. :-)

I'll let you know how the S-100 turns out running all three props! :-)

Mark
Old 01-06-2006, 01:22 AM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Plastic models down to Lindberg LCP's and the small 6" to 9" USCG are all OK.
Once you get them running fine, seal the few openings with Silicone rubber and always set them up to roll over to the right side UP.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:58 PM
Turbobearcat

I just came back from Michigan a few days ago, took my S100 up to the Portage area, man did I have fun with the new setup on the old boat! as you remember I used 8 aaa Nmhs batteries with my setup.. this boat ran in the cold (40 degree) outside and God only knows how cold the water was..but she ran for about 20 minites at top speed.. I have video to show how well the boat ran on 1 shaft..

I'm building the second boat now..this time running 3 shafts so I hope to have a large grin on my face :-)

If you remember the past pictures I have uploaded, the boat showed some torque steering, once up to speed that goes away
and the front of the ship does raise up some , enough to break the top of the water, look very real and I'm happy with the results.

Would like to try a Poly-LIpo battery and see if I can get the run time out longer...if not I might try a different engine setup
and see if I can't get the effeiency of the motor to work with me for once :-)

Mark
Old 12-25-2007, 12:15 PM
Scarecrow7087

Wow, just found this thread, don't get much chance to surf as I drive 18 wheeler cross country with my wife ( this way she can nag me 24/7). I first started converting plastic models to RC when I lived in Hong Kong in 1981. Started with the Lindburg Fletcher then bought the 1/200 Yamato. Unfortunately they were destroyed by my dad when he got upset about the girl I was dating ( something I have never forgiven him for). When I emigrated to the states in 85 I took up again.Starting with the Fletcher, then the Revell Snowberry ( had to put about 7lbs of ballast in it to get it to sit right in the water). Friends at the boat club in Colorado springs dared me to get smaller instead of larger. So built the Airfix Schnellboot and vosper MTB, The revell U505 ( 1/125th?), Lionfish and 1/72nd PT109. The smallest was some off the wall tug with barge that measured a total of about 6 inches (that was a toughie but it worked). Then I lost the lot in a divorce ( go figure she really stuck it to me even though I was faithful to the end, she took all 6 of my motorcycles as well). I have just started to build up my fleet again here in Cali. Allready have the fletcher built and ready to go and currently building the Snowberry again. I have the Revell Gato and Type VII waiting in the wings. Also plan toget the Nichimo 1/200 Yamato when I can find some place that sells it? Has anyone checked out www.caswellplating.com they have some great operating systems for plastic subs and have just got the Seaview from the old TV series "Voyage to the bottom of the sea"?
Old 12-25-2007, 06:25 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm in the middle of a Nichimo Yamato as well as have both Kagero & Akizuki kits which will be converted. I got my Yamato locally & two DDs from Japan, but have seen Yamato still offered in the States by [link=http://www.internethobbies.com/12scaljapnav.html]Internet Hobbies Yamato[/link]

You can't go wrong with Caswell. Mike Caswell & Dave Merriman are both dedicated towards expanding the RC sub hobby & great guys to work with. In addition to the Seaview, they have a Type VII kit in the wings with D&E's new SubDriver, a torpedo system after that & are already working with Lindberg to develop a kit for the new IJN subs that are to be released later next year.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Scarecrow7087

You read my mind, my next post was going to ask if anyone knows where to get the Nachimo Yamato in 1/200. I want it so bad I can't see straight.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:06 PM
carrara9

Does anyone know of some good suppliers for small propellers for these small boats.
I'm working on converting an old revell titanic model i had laying around (1/570 scale), and am trying to find propellers.

Also, i don't know if anybody ever though of this, but a good way to use a cheap esc for airplanes, something like a gws or some other cheap company, would be to wire in a three position switch past of the controller, between the controller and the motor. That way, since airplane controllers don't have a reverse, you can wire the switch in to reverse the polarity on the motor, and then get a fully proportional forward and reverse using a cheap speed controller. This does take an extra servo but something like an HS-55 or something, plus a gws speed controller is only a couple of bucks, if you buy it at a swap meet you might get the whole package for $10, much cheaper than a proportional speed controller with reverse.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:31 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

For a Titanic that small, why waste time and effort with ESCs, an extra servo and trying to fit a switch in? Just dimember servos. You get a fully proportional ESC and a matching motor. Propellors? Buy a small piece of bras sheet, cut it to shape with tin snips (preferably jewellers snips) drill a hole in the middle, solder it to a brass shaft and twist to taste. Done.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:37 AM
carrara9

i was waiting for someone to reply saying it wasn't worth the effort, but if you have the stuff laying around, it's at least an option, but i agree i will probably use a hacked servo.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:08 PM
jshander

I have converted a couple old Motorific Boats and the Revell Arkona to R/C using old servo motors and electronics.

Harbor Models in California
carries really excellent quality tiny brass propellers-2 and 3 blade but they are expensive:

[link=http://www.harbormodels.com/Harbormain/Templates/home.htm]harbor models[/link]
Old 12-31-2007, 11:12 PM
DONS BOAT WORKS
My Feedback: (3)

I’m building a Lindberg Diesel Tug conversion.
I started by gutting a old Futaba servo. I made longer wires for the motor.
I soldered the motor wires to a mini pin plug, and glued it to the circuit board.
Then I coated the circuit board with 30 mi. epoxy, makes a neat little package.
Then I made a stuffing tube out of brass tubing with a 1/16’’ shaft. I know the oilier is overkill, but I like oiler’s.
I will use the original prop.
Next I made a motor mount out of aluminum, and attached it to a piece of wood
I had mounted in the bottom of the hull.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96079.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	838953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96554.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	838954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot46729.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	838955  
Old 01-01-2008, 01:56 PM
carrara9

Thanks for the information/ideas guys.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:05 AM
Scarecrow7087

Well my wife bought me the Nichimo 1/200 Yamato for Cristmas. It arrived here Saturday, can't wait to get started on it. ThoughI have to finish the Flower Class first. Found the Yamato on E-Bay for $280 plus shipping and it is the latest version for RC. The seller seems to be selling this item on a regular basis if any of you are interested? Next I plan to aquire the German torpedo boats in 1/72 including the Airfix E-boat ( built this one for RC a bunch of years ago) and the Airfix Vosper MTB. Also I want to put smoke generators in my larger ships and found a couple of good sets on plans on-line. going to build a couple and see how they work. On topof allthatthe wife and I put a bid on a house that we want today. The back yard is big enough to put a fair sized pond in to sail my boats, which to be honest is the reason I want that particular house. The wife is all for me doing it as well.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:11 AM
Scarecrow7087

Mfro2, Just noticed where you are from. I am from Preston though I emigrated to the USA in 85. Was over there visiting my folks in November though the closest we got to Blackie was a quick trip to Lytham.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:57 AM
Scarecrow7087

Bobslr, After seeing your pics of the S-Boat I just had to have one. The boss ( wife) said OK so I went whole hog and ordered two plus the Airfix E-boat and Vosper MTB. At this rate I will have enough models to build up to the middle of this century. I am going to try out a Losi Xcelorin brushless motor in the S-Boat, it come with it's own micro ESC.
The following users liked this post:
bobslr (05-20-2021)
Old 02-14-2008, 10:39 AM
cyclops2

When you get down to the Lindberg L C P size , you have to get a little bit creative and think wartime realities.

They used it for transportating supplies. So I made a hollow stack of scale boxes and placed them were I could use micro servos for steering and a gutted standard servo for the prop.
Piece of cake.
Batteries can be a problem. Lay ALL the parts out to get the balance right.

Rich
Old 02-14-2008, 11:42 AM
Scarecrow7087

My brother in law asked me last night when I was going to get to an LCP. I told him that there would be nowhere toput the running gear but, you have hit on it with using cargo. Iwasn't even thinking of that route. Do you have any pics of your LCP?
Old 02-14-2008, 04:30 PM
cyclops2

Hi Scarecrow.

I did those 25 years ago?? Just fold some heavy paper, Cereal boxes, into the shape of the box that covers each part EASILY. Then glue on outside strips of wood that look like bracing. Paint them.
I got a full sized Futaba rec.-- 4 AA cells strung out & connected with wire & solder -- HS-80 servo -- guts of a standard servo, just used the PCB, motor, potentiometer, & the scale prop.

Today, www.bphobbies.com has all the tiny rc stuff to make it a pleasure. If you can not rework a servo, post back & I will find a small brush type ESC & motor. Brass shaft & Brass tube with some Vasaline, seals the the shaft tube.
Still a piece of cake.

Rich
Old 02-15-2008, 02:10 AM
Scarecrow7087

Thanks for the help Rich, though I think an LCP will be in the far flung future for now. I am in the middle of a Flower Class and , have two S-100's, a 1/200th Yamato, both the Revell Gato and Type VII U Boat waiting to be built. Plus I just ordered the Airfix E-Boat and Vosper MTB. I have built the Airfix E-Boat for RC twice before, both times I was well pleased with the result. Although the first E-Boat sank on it's maiden voyage, hence the reason for the second build. I even had a couple of scuba divers down looking for it but to no avail. I guess that was my first submarine. If I ever find the pics of my boats I will post them

John
Old 02-15-2008, 08:39 AM
Ghost in the shell

the tiny 9" lindberg "carol" atlantic trawler can also be done in RC, sails very well too.

oh thje Nichimo Yamato, 1/200th and no its not 42" long biy 52 and that makes an excellent model on the water, I know, I have one
Old 02-15-2008, 10:35 AM
cyclops2

It is so nice to know that I grew up to become a well adjusted 70 year old.
I think my smallest was a 6" or 8" USCG boat. Took lots of waves over the bow.

Rich

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.