Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Aerokits RAF fire boat/crash tender

Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Aerokits RAF fire boat/crash tender

Old 12-18-2007, 08:26 AM
HMS ANTRIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aerokits RAF fire boat/crash tender

Hi JC.
U got working Monitors? do they require a pump? of course they require a pump you silly sausage. I got car wiper pumps from the car scrap yard

http://www.jotika-ltd.com/Pages/1024...nt.htm....they are doing the Aero kit range but he has only done the sea queen and is working on the sea commander.

the aero kit models were last around in 1997 as I have still got the catalogue

But I am lookin for all the small Bits & pieces/ As my boat is also the 46in one I may be able to help you on that one

Hey is it wet in Glasgow?...wet no but I can tell you the welders are working over time on the brass monkeys

Maybe U could to my Email?
I would love to see you picturers..the pictures are in the pc my pictures not in the camera so I don`t think I can mail them.

.............................cheers for now..[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 12-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Pete Harvey

On the subjects of windows & fire monitors on the 46 inch boat I have had some success. I put detailed pictures & building tips on my website, so I wont repeat all of that here.

I tried lots of methods for the windows, but in the end plasticard frames stuck over clear perspex (the kind that most kids toys come in) worked out best. These are screwed on rather than glued.

The fire monitors I managed to scratch from scratch using brass tube - soldered with a domestic soldering iron - and beleive it or not, some old wooden golf tees (they are just the right shape for the nozzle). Both monitors move and fire water - about 10 feet (3m) thanks to a couple of 12v fuel pumps. I used the Robbe system to make them turn.

I ended up radio controlling lots of things in the model including a swinging, wiching jib and search light. The result is a boat that weighs 25 pounds and with a 10cc engine goes like a rocket. But you have to be careful on the corners - as there is a risk of tipping it over.

The site can be found on:

[link]http://pic6.piczo.com/fireboat[/link]
Old 12-18-2007, 03:52 PM
HMS ANTRIM

Hi pete.
you have done a fair old job scratching the monitors but I have gone for modellers licence and bought a pair from one of the well known german coys.

Is this the clear viewing vindow from the front of the cardboard box you have used for the windows ? if so does it take super glue

I was saying to a guy on another forum who is refurbing a 34in version that he should use plastic fittings to keep the top weight down as he will be powering it by an as yet undecided electric motor.

I will be doing mine electric as well ideally with a 12v 700BB turbo.
There is a coy online called vapextech who do 10amp D cells so I am hoping to make up a 12v pack and see what speed and time I get then I may step it up to an 18v pack.

.................................................. .................................................. ..cheers
Old 12-18-2007, 04:27 PM
Pete Harvey

I would have used canopy glue (used for RC aeroplanes) as it is flexible, dries clear and will not mist the clear plastic like ply cement or superglue can. I think that the plastic that I used was of a fairly thick varety - ie the kind that larger toys (like dolls) usally come in.

Pete
Old 12-18-2007, 04:28 PM
HMS ANTRIM

Hi Pete.
just had a quick peek at your site and we seem to have the same taste as I have got a sea queen off e-bay as well. I have managed to bag 6 original aerokit models to-date and all in fairly good nick.

The sea queen I have has got the aluminium windows and some antique radio gear with a twin plug motor of which I have not looked at the name of. You have at least got yours in the water but as I am not nitro motor savvy I don`t know when it will be sailing. It needs a few minor repairs as the windscreen is broken but all the bits are there to make a new one and one or two fittings are adrift and need replaced.
.................................................. ...............cheers [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 12-18-2007, 10:47 PM
Jcopter
My Feedback: (3)

HMS U lucky dog with all those models!!! I'm so jellous
And Pete thanks your site address I will need to make some time to really give it a good look over
I guess I'm lucky to have gotten this kit that I have!!
It is so cool When I was A young boy I had a neighboor who had one built and when I watched that model run it looked so good and i wished that I had one then One day a guy offered to trade be this kit for a plane that I had, I could hardly hide my excitement, there was the boat of my childhood so I acted Like I did not want to trade very much and next thing U know It was Mine!!!
Now to get it built.... I too am going to make mine electric so I'm watching to see which system will be best (Hoping to learn from past experiences). I shall be starting after the new year
Jcopter
Old 12-19-2007, 03:06 AM
HMS ANTRIM

Hi Jc.
you can always visit the UK e-bay at...http://www.ebay.co.uk/.....I go to e-bay in other European countries and get stuff from them, Germany is my favourite. There are crash tenders listed regularly and also other aerokit boats like the sea commander, PT boat, sea queen, solent and waveny lifeboats.

VINTAGE AEROKITS TORPEDO BOAT Item number: 140191381656

RADIO CONTROLLED MODEL BOAT, WOODEN HULL Item number: 280184522678

RC ROYAL NAVY FIRE BOAT "WOODEN" Item number: 260194407272

these three are on just now and you could save the pix of the fire boat

all those models!!! I'm so jellous......JC.. you don`t know the half of it, just as well I am single or the misses would be saying either the boats go or I go...Hmm I would have to think about that one.
That reminds me of a quote I saw on a forum..
I have spent most of my cash on Boats, beers, and Broads,..the rest I have just squandered.

I thought that was quite apt and probably applies to lots of modellers. LOL

I think e-bay provides a second childhood for many of us, as the toys / models we often drooled over as children but which our parents could not afford are now being made available to us as adults through this large worldwide auction site.

I have aquired several of the aerokit range for guys who couldn`t have them as children but are now thoroughly enjoying sailing them as adults.

JC. would you consider fitting two shafts in your boat as it is my oppinion that for a wooden boat of @ 48in size to get up on the plane with electric motors this is the best option.

wood being heavier that GRP needs more power in electric form for high speed craft.

The D cell nicad at 10amps in a 12 or 18 volt pack is my choice of power supply as it is a fraction of the weight compared to a lead acid battery of the same voltage and amps.

I would also fit a 50-55mm Plastic X racing prop as it has the pitch and puts less heat on the motor than a brass prop.

My 46in crash tender came to me as a bare boat with no motor or fittings and in need of a repaint. I tried a 24v bus fan motor with a 12v and 6v lead acid linked together to make 18v.

It went up on the plane for about 2/3 mins then as the power dropped off the boat just chuntered along more like a river cabin cruiser ..with no speed.

I have a 12v D cell 3amp partly assembled which I am hoping to try out in the perkassa but as I have been my old man`s 24 hour carer for the last 3 years I don`t get the same time on boats as I used to so the fire boat has been put aside for another day when I can give it more time.
And like the retired gynaecologist said I like to keep my hand in, so I just do a little tinkering here and there when I can.

.................................................. ..........cheers[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 12-19-2007, 11:15 PM
DONS BOAT WORKS

Pete Harvey,

I just checked out your web site, very nice.
I like your Spitfire, I have a 1974 TR6.
I used to have a 78 Spit, and bought a new GT6+ in 1969.

Don M.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:13 PM
Jcopter

I too have been to Pete's site and it is awsome Great site Thanks Pete
Jcopter
Old 12-24-2007, 05:17 PM
HMS ANTRIM

Hi Jc.
Re-email pictures. u previously mentioned about using your e-mail to send you photos well the old brain (although a bit slow) had been working on that idea.

If we exchanged e-mail addresses (off forum) I could add you to my contacts list and if we are online at the same time I could open the send an instant message function from the windows messenger programme by clicking on the green icon.

I have a friend who I talk to on messenger when we are on e-bay and we send each other photos by this method.

.......................cheers [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 12-24-2007, 05:49 PM
Jcopter

OK HMS check your Email
Jcopter
Old 12-29-2007, 12:37 PM
HS93

Ok First post. this a few pictures of my Firefloat mk11 under construction , I have been building it on and off for a year or so in between other builds, its a 34" Boat built on a kingston fiberglass hull it needs some finnishing and all the paint work to finnish , I am still not decided on the motors they will be belt driven and proberley brushless.
Peter
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51700.jpg
Views:	1116
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	836462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82891.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	836463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc77935.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	836464  
Old 12-29-2007, 12:59 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

The woodwork and brass fittings look very nice.
Great work... [8D]
Old 12-29-2007, 05:29 PM
HMS ANTRIM

Hi Peter.
A very nice piece of engineering if a little fussy for my taste but credit where its due.

I had a friend who fitted belt drive motors in a san diego but the belts gave him problems so he changed over to Robbe navy compacts whch are geared motors and they were ok.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:59 PM
HS93

I use tothed belts and have never had one come off pickture of a set up in anothere boat, not a fan of navy compacts they sound like a cheap ready to run

Name:	Bz77709.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	836769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98721.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	836770  
Old 02-06-2008, 08:38 AM
gbrobbins

Would like to build or buy a fireboat. Is there a kit in ABS or fiber available in the US. the shipping cost from UK was out of sight. Great site at Petes.

G. B. Robbins
Port St. Lucie, FL USA

Old 02-06-2008, 01:19 PM
HS93

gbrobbins
You could look at pt boat hulls they are hard chine and simmilar in design to fire boats , I'm sorry I dont know of any us sellers of fire boats or (firefloat mk11) hulls. only uk sellers http://www.kingstonmouldings.com/ amd http://www.waverleymodels.co.uk/ and I think you have tried them there is also http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/html/launches_5.html who sell a small boat kit 610mm and I think they may have US distributers . I got a bare hull of them as a small project and I am present doing a blog at http://modelfireboats.com/?blogid=02 it may give you an idea of the build for any size of hull.

Peter

Name:	By76520.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	871554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56179.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	871555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96619.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	871556  
Old 02-06-2008, 10:20 PM
HMS ANTRIM

Hi GB.
There is a guy in Richmond BC Canada on e-Bay who is doing a 2 sheet plan with frames to build a crashtender. this may be a bit more suitable for you if you dont like the postage for the kingston mouldings hull.

have listed item no for you and pix. cheers.

RC Plans for 1/12 RAF "CRASH TENDER"-46" Item number: 130194623200

Old 02-07-2008, 01:25 PM
gbrobbins

Tks for the input HS93 & HMSAntrim. I am going to look for a PT hull on the market and also look up the plans on the ebay. Again tks

G B Robbins
POrt St. lucir FL

Our club web site is: waveblasters.org We have a big group of scale boaters plus our FE Racing Group. All electric. look us up. you will see my schnellboot.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Herman65

Does anyone know if anybody is publishing plans for a 34" fireboat
Old 03-26-2008, 11:41 PM
HS93

Have you asked on

http://modelfireboats.com/index.html

if not give it a try, there are a few plans knocking about but they all seem to be old aerokits plans with no frame's on them , there is a chap who sells from canada on ebay that has plans but they are expensive , ask on the site above. it is dedicated to them also try http://groups.yahoo.com/group/firefloat/ there are some of the original builders plans on there, but not enough to build but all the detail

peter
Old 03-29-2008, 06:59 PM
HS93

Herman65 see PM about plan
Old 10-26-2008, 01:34 PM
davidharrison

I also have this model and would like to obtain plans to amke the top covers so i can get the boat back on the water.
I am converting to electric from diesel. I know this is an old post but can anybody help?
Old 10-27-2008, 09:29 PM
HS93

If you look or ask on hear someone will help if not I can send some pictures of them I made some out of plasticard for my last boat ,but used the same methoud that the wood ones used , if you want to send me a pm with emaill address I can send you some high res pictures of constuction , I am also in the UK.[img][/img]
[img][/img][img][/img]

http://modelfireboats.com/

Name:	Us52832.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	1060363   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44235.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1060364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20572.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1060365  
Old 11-18-2009, 12:23 PM
rojreese

Has anyone details of the mast general arrangement for the Aerokits Fire Boat?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.