Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Steam!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 12:24 PM
LtDoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steam!

Friday:
The boat kit and steam engine arrived today! I was at work, naturally, been going by the house occasionally to check. 'They' didn't get much out of me for the rest of the shift (not sure they even noticed, hmm).
Stopped by Wally World for 'Sterno', half a shopping cart should hold me for a day or two. Made one other stop then wobbled home (glad the truck knows it's way home).
Paper, packing stuff, boxes all over the house. Open steam engine box. Wait'a minute, this thing is supposed to be 'preassembled'! Guess I need to learn what 'preassembled' means. Hour later found the instructions on the back of the box (don't laugh, quicker than normal). Fibreglass insulation! Oh boy, that stuff 'breaks me out'. Time for a nap.
Saturday:
Clear path through paper, packing etc, to reach the coffee pot. After second pot, this doesn't look as difficult as I thought. Go to medicine cabinet for 'allergy' medicine, take triple dose. Dump engine box out on desk. Examine parts (look'it those little bitty screws and bolts, ain't they cute?). Yep, all there. Hmm, @#$% tape won't stick to the fibreglass, now what? Glue it! Wonder if glue burns, guess I'll find out. Think I'll look at the boat stuff while the 'hives' go away.
More later.
- 'Doc

Ain't had this much fun since the pigs ate my little brother...

----------
It's now later!
The thing works! Finally got finished scratching (fibreglass) and got the engine together. Stoked her up, lit the fire and about 5 minutes later it said "Phwett". Another minute and the whirligig was a'giging and "phwetting" and had to call the neighbor over to see it! (Half a shopping cart of 'Sterno' ain't gonna be enough!)
Started on the boat. I have to admit that this thing isn't the most complex boat I've ever seen, but the instructions are really good. Especially if you really see what you're supposed to be looking at. Amazing how long it takes CA to set up when it's cold. Gonna have to find a small funnel and measuring cup to fill the boiler, the way I did it today just ain't gonna cut it at the pond.
The insulation around the boiler melts, letting the boiler slip down in the housing. Couple of screws under the boiler's bottom cured that. (The glue didn't burn, anyway. Sometimes even a blind pig gets lucky.)
This is going to be a 'wet' boat. When the engine gets going it 'spits' water from various places. Shouldn't be a problem though, maybe that's why they say to seal -all- the wood with polyurethane? (Remember to get more polyurethane when I get more 'Sterno'.)
Now, if 'Mother Nature' will just cooperate with some warm weather...
- 'Doc
Old 01-09-2005, 10:46 PM
ernest2

Default RE: Steam!

how bout some pics? sounds an interesting project.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:46 PM
LtDoc

Pictures

The weather finally cooperated a little and here are a couple of pictures of the steam engine. It was still something like 40 degrees (optomistic!) and didn't get more than two pictures (the thing ain't big enough to keep more than one hand warm at a time!).

Also seem to have a problem with the 'Sterno' fuel, just doesn't last more than a few minutes before going out. That's not going to work...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89119.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	214599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30523.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	558.4 KB
ID:	214600  
Old 01-13-2005, 10:39 PM
gulfstreamI

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Doc,

Got one of those boiler engines myself. still working on the boats' hull. I already got mine fired up & timed to run at 6 -7 minutes. I wanted to post the pics but i can't upload them. Here's the link[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Live_Steam/m_2296205/tm.htm[/link].
Nice winter project.

GulfstreamI
Old 01-14-2005, 02:43 AM
LtDoc

GulfstreamI,
About the same running time that I'm getting. Just gets up a good head of steam and the 'Sterno' goes out. Haven't figured that one out yet. Been thinking of trying the 'solid' fuel thingys, see if they stay lit longer. Maybe cotton and lighter fluid like the hand warmers?? Must be doing something wrong, I guess...
- 'Doc
Old 01-14-2005, 10:27 AM
gulfstreamI

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lt Doc,

Man you're all over the place. I've read your posts in other rc forum websites & they've helped me a lot.
There are a couple of scale steam engines for sale at ebay. Two brand new, two vintage. I just can't post the links here. Probably website restrictions.
This particular steam engine of yours is the the improved version of what i have. I've timed my bolier to run a peak RPM for only 2 minutes, after that the rpms drop steadily.
I wouldn't run this steam engine on a windy day. i'm sure the flame provided by the sterno fuel will get snuffed out.
The design for this particular steam engine is very simple. I'm thinking of getting a two piston version with longer run times from Saito, Chedar, Wiliseco or those other vintage steam engines I occasionally come across at those ebay auctions.
It won't be cheap though, more $$$$ needed to fund this project.

GulfstreamI
Old 01-14-2005, 06:03 PM
LtDoc

Well, I tried something different, a 'Fire Starter' stick broken in to bite size chunks. It was a waste of time. Then, dabbed a glob of Sterno on them cuz' I was too lazy to clean the fire tray. Got over 10 minutes of steam while turning the driveshaft/prop! If I can do that consistantly, I'll get the boat wet! Got a feeling that it's probably not going to be the most consistant thing around though. Oh well. Guess I can always bring the Towboat to retrieve the steam boat.
I've looked at a few of the British (and others) steam engines. And as the former Pres. Cater said, "I've got lust in my heart!". That's about all it'll ever be for awhile $$$...
- 'Doc
Old 02-04-2005, 11:24 PM
rays89

Midwest boat kits are really nice and rather easy builds well at least the fantail launch is, Ive built 2 of them through the years, I wound up selling the first one I built on E-bay a few years ago so I had to get and build another another one, Ive gotten the engine to run for about 5 minutes each time but Ive never actually ran the boat in the water. It just sits on a shelf. Someday Ill run it.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Temps

Hi i got one of those and what i did was add a couple more holes at the bottom for air and use solid fuel bricks like what you get for mammod steam engines
then i only fill the tank up 3/4 of the way that way it dosent seem to spit water and i get about 20mins run time