Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

USS Enterprise CVN-65

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

USS Enterprise CVN-65

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 02:22 PM
subsinker
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USS Enterprise CVN-65

Hello,
I have been asked by a close friend if I could help him out. He recently purchased a Tamiya 1/350th scale USS Enterprise (kit # 78007). Well, he wants to convert it to R/C. I am assuming due to the size it is that it is entirely possible, limited only by ones imagination. Has anyone out there tried this? What kind of things will be encountered, difficulties, etc. I more than likely will be very involved in helping him so any ideas you guy (or gals) have I would really like to hear.

Thanks,
Pete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74641.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	249397  
Old 03-26-2005, 04:05 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: USS Enterprise CVN-65

I am assuming due to the size it is that it is entirely possible
So, how large is it? [X(]
Old 03-26-2005, 04:57 PM
LtDoc

subsinker,
It really shouldn't be too difficult, depending on just how realistic your friend wants to keep it. No idea what the CVN-65 had for props and drive shafts (number), but if he would be satisfied with limiting them to one or two, it should be fairly simple (simple-er?).

You gotta have access to the interior of the hull. The bigger the opening, the easier it is to work on. Making the deck removable would be nice.

Also have no idea of the size of the model so recommending a motor(s) size isn't something I want to do. It won't be a 'go fast' boat, so they shouldn't need to be too large. Batteries? As much as you can cram in there without sinking the thing! - lol Which brings up ballasting. I would think that the CVN-65 model is a top heavy one (?), so lowering the CG as much as possible would be a good idea (maybe remove some of those extra batteries and substitute ballast on the bottom of the hull?).

Ought'a be interesting!
- 'Doc
Old 03-27-2005, 06:00 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How long is this model boat?
Old 03-27-2005, 06:06 PM
stevedurrant

I'm looking to do the same thing, but i believe the Hull may be in sections that you have to fix together(am i right?), so i don't know whether the hull will be strong enough.
don't worry about the top heavy problem, i recently converted the revell QM2 - similar size but very long thin and tall [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3110043&page=5&pp=15]HERE SHE IS[/link] and the top weight was not a problem just keep as much weight as low as possible.

If you believe the hull will be strong enough please let me know as i seriously wanna buy and convert this kit.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80096.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	250075  
Old 03-27-2005, 06:45 PM
TRCX

One of the guys from MMI (Marine Modeling International) converted the Amati RMS Titanic from static to RC.
he said it was top heavy[:'(] so he stuck in a few more 12V's

when he did his first test RMS Titanic darted of like a destroyer so dont worry about speed .

MMI october 2004

euro models also has conversion kits so I think it's possible to convert almost any static model to RC

hope it help's

a guy even converted a rubber duck to rc

LOL!

[:@]sorry no pics[&o]
Old 03-27-2005, 08:09 PM
Sarges_heroes2003
My Feedback: (6)

id say go to swampworks. com and purchase some engines and mounts and look at there water tight boxes for the reciever. those rc battleships survive sinking because of the WTB's. id do that just incase your model ever gets washed over by freak waves or freak swimers.
as to scale. id say that 4 is a safe bet but there is a place online where u can look up any ship in any fleet from many war time zones. focuses on ww2 and forward. some quick googleing should find it.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:51 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Haven't seen the hull for the Tamiya Enterprise, so I don't know if it's sections or one piece, but looking at the Revell 1:400 Enterprise kit I have in front of me, it's a 4 shaft, twin rudder ship. The 1:400 size draws 1.0625 inch from bottom to waterline, has a 3.75 inch beam at hanger deck level and a waterline length of 31.25 inch. It should be no problem to R/C this size or the Tamiya 1:350, though it will need to have some sort of ballast on the port side to offset the weight of the island structure on the starboard side. I would recommend installing a water tight hanger deck or closing off the hanger bay doors to prevent flooding in case of the afore mentioned freak wave. A bilge pump or two might not be a bad idea either, just in case
Old 03-28-2005, 08:49 PM
subsinker
My Feedback: (61)

Guys,

Yes, the hull is in sections. However, all things considered it looks like it won't be too difficult to convert. I will have to fashion shafts & stuffing boxes but it is all within reason. He does want to keep the 4 screws so that will be interesting. Maybe as time goes by I could post a few pictures. This ship is pretty large for a model, about 38 inches or so. I agree about the CG. Batteries & such will have to be low. It is a displacement hull so speed will not be of concern. I converted a Nichimo kit 1/200th Yamato over (see my gallery for pics) to R/C and that thing looks & handles very scale. It starts & stops just like a big fat battlewagon. Slow to start and slow to stop. Anyway, thanks for the input.

Pete
Old 03-29-2005, 08:16 AM
patmat

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352003

See this thread at "the other group" for pictures of both the Tamiya Enterprise and the Trumpeter Nimitz happily afloat.
Big models, about a meter long each.
Pat M