Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

fiberglass

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

fiberglass

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 12:13 PM
jserb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiberglass

k well i just need help ALL the time i guess....i fiberglassed my boat with laminating resin ( 4coats) then i put a coat of finishing resin over, and then sanded the boat down to 220 grit. the boat was looking great BUT i noticed when i roled the boat in the light i could see cosmetic blemishes. ( i couldnt feel the divitos but i could see them when the light hit it right.) so i decided id give another coat of finishing resin and then sand it out....problkem i am having NOW is that i have covered the boat with the finishing resin and now the wax in the finishing resin is really cloging up my 220 gritt sand paper...i guess what i am asking is......am i sanding too much resin off....or am i using the wrong type of sand paper???? or what should i do i mean i spent 2 1/2 hours lastnight sanding with 220 on the finishing resin and i got NO WHERE! i assumed i had to sand the wax off and when i finally got somewhere i AGAIN roled the boat in the light and found that those blemishes were still thier, my other question is do you this the clear coat will cover those up?!?!?!?! WHAT DO I DO!!!! this is a chris craft and i need to be able to have a clear finish to see the wood below.. PLEASE HELP[]
Old 07-14-2005, 03:58 PM
J.Moya

Default RE: fiberglass

Use Wet/Dry sand paper and make sure you keep it wet. The water will improve the sandpaper performance. Keep the paper wet at all times.

As for small blemishes. External glassing always requires filling the hole ( area between the fiberglass stands) You need to be patient and keep sanding till you get very close to the glass fibers. The re-apply resin and start over again. Time consuming but will lead to a glass finish.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:08 PM
green-boat

Use a rag soaked in acetone and scrub/wipe the wax off. Do this several times until there is no longer a sticky feel on the surface of the hull.

Laminating resin has no wax in it , allowing you to put on successive layers on. Finishing resin on the other hand has a wax added to it, allowing it to flow more easily.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:32 PM
DONS BOAT WORKS
My Feedback: (3)

Are you using wet & dry sandpaper? Start with 120 or 160 wet & dry, use water. I use dish soap & water, use a sanding block.
Work your way up to 220, then 320, finish with 400. If you don't use a sanding block your hand will follow the dips & blemishes.