Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Dumas US Coast Guard 44' LifeBoat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Dumas US Coast Guard 44' LifeBoat

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 09:07 PM
carl6466

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumas US Coast Guard 44' LifeBoat

I have a Dumas US Coast Guard 44' Lifeboat that I started many years ago. It calls for 2 2004 or 2005 Dumas Eletctric Motors. Has Dumas updated these motors to the newest technology? Should I look at different motors/speed control? How about batteries? I am looking for long run times and want it to move a little quick (not a race boat but not a snail). I already have the 2335 Running Hardware Kit.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:29 PM
e-sailpilot86

Default RE: Dumas US Coast Guard 44' LifeBoat

I recommend some 6v to 8.4v speed 400's in the model. I've got a little 41' and I'll probably put a 300 or 400 in it. Definately look at a model airplane ESC, they're cheap.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:31 PM
green-boat

Proboat makes a nice speed control that is BEC. It won't break the bank at $40.00 each. You could get away with using one to drive both motors.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:56 AM
e-sailpilot86

As for batteries, go as big as you can. Hey, if you can get 9000mah D's in there, go for it. Especially if it'll help it ride at a scale level. Got pictures? I'll post some of my progress on my dad's 41' UTL boat. Started on it 6 years ago, finally got going again... Falls together! Still, not an easy kit, but a good one. I'm getting to the point where it may get a little frustrating. Need detail pics. Gonna add lighting, more scale detail than stock, rotating radar, etc. but the boat is still just a 2ch. speed 400 fits perfectly.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:22 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Carl,
The Dumas motors look like the good old Pittmans they have been selling for years.
Very nice quality, but at $52 a pop they should be. I can get some perfectly good
"long can" Mabuchis at the local surplus store for $2.50 each that have more "oomph" (torque and RPM)
but not the same duration, but close. Get a modern ESC with reverse, and by all means use NiCads
or Nimh batteries. The 44'er will never go real fast, that's why the USCG has decomissioned them.
I managed to catch the last one in service in MA a few years ago and got lots of great pictures.
AND just today, I ran across a copy of Nautical Quarterly #31 that has a feature on the 44's splashing
about in the ocean. Very cool.
I built the (wood) Dumas kit about 20-25 years ago, very satisfying planking that hull! If I EVER
do another though, it's the GRP (fiberglass) hull for me. I have another wood kit and both Billings kits
stashed away too...
Consider doing a nifty paint job like you may find here...

http://www.44mlb.com/

Dave