Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

glassing

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 05:08 PM
CsChuck14
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glassing

i am building a scale model of a boat and it will be 1 meter long, am using thin plywood for bulkheads and am thinking of covering it in balsa, i need help on using fiberglass cloth, or if theres another way then pleze tell me, it needs to be fully waterproof, so what do i need to do, and what are some tips?

thanks, Charlie
Old 08-24-2005, 06:11 PM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: glassing

Since i had the same question. Here's the link to when i asked and got these answer's. Hope this help's.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3218782/anchors_3242755/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#3242755
Old 08-25-2005, 07:27 AM
CsChuck14

thanks for the help, but i still need to know hot to and tips about glassing and if oyu use the cloth on the outside can you just use the resin on the inside and will it still be waterproof?

thanks
Old 08-25-2005, 11:24 AM
Umi_Ryuzuki

The cloth adds strength to the resin, without it, the resin is more suceptable to cracking. If you have glassed the outside, a thinned coat of resin on the inside without cloth will act fine as a wood sealer.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:43 PM
CsChuck14

thanks, that helps a-lot, but i have one more question, and its how do you cloth the outside? do you but a coat on the wood, and while its still wet can you put on the cloth, then put another coat on over that one all while its still wet???? thats what i was gunna try to do unless anyone has any objections?

thanks
Old 08-25-2005, 04:23 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Measure and precut the fiberglass cloth. Lay the cloth over the hull, and make relief cuts where it may bunch up. Using a proper weave, or laying the weave properly, can allow the fiberglass to lay nicely across the curves of the hull.
Once you are satisified with how the fiberglass lays down dry, then you can mix up the resin.

Have some rubber gloves handy or on. Mix your resin.
Thoroughly coat the hull with resin using a brush. Then lay the cloth over the hull, and starting at the center work the cloth into the resin using the brush and hold it in place with your gloved hand. You want to thorouly soak the fiberglass by pressing it into the resin. Work the glass to the ends and either side of the hull pressing all the airbubbles out as you go.

Don't start glopping resin on to soak the glass cloth. If anything you want to sqeegee as much resin through the glass and off of the hull as possible without getting air bubbles. Too much resin in the freshly laid cloth can run and cause the glass to sag or bubble. A second and third coat of resin can be built up later for strength and to smooth the hull.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:12 PM
CsChuck14

thank you very much that helps alot... i think i might be set, unless anyone ets has any suggestions/tips
Old 09-02-2005, 03:39 PM
azcaptain

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out Radio Control Model Boat Magazine. They have 2 (one fairly recent) articles on just how to glass. Very informative and well done.

John De
Old 09-04-2005, 09:05 PM
bobbert_atkinson

On our SS Minnow we will fibergass the hull. We found good fabric and resin from Home Depot, etc. Experiment with the resin and hardner components to get the proper mixture (14 drops of hardener per ounce of resin with our system)

Do several tests on balsa and ply that you will be working with. Perform several tests with layers of fabric.

Do not be afraid to overlap the fabric, it will sand out smooth.

Do purchase 8 to 10 small paint brushes that you can toss away. The cost for the brushes was about $0.80 each.

I will update my minnow site after the Glassing.

Have fun!