Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Sterling Model Boat from the 1950's

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Sterling Model Boat from the 1950's

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 12:37 AM
azcaptain

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sterling Model Boat from the 1950's

I'm in the process of restoring a Sterling Model Kit that I originally built in the mid 1950's. I've carried it around all these years and finally decided to "finish" it. I stripped the model down to bare minimum, fiberglassed the hull, filled in most dents & imperfections with wood putty, sanded & sanded and then started appying coats of paint and other finishes out of a spray can to get to this point. I have some 70 hours invested. I have another 20-30 more hours to go before deciding if I want to power it. I have original Pittman motors I bought as a teen in the 1950's. My Son-in-law inspired me to do this. He loves the old classic ChrisCraft design. I'll give it to him for a birthday gift. Here in photos is progress to date.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85816.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	349449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64171.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	349450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56290.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	349451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38231.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	349452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24024.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	349453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97749.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	349454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15293.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	349455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34688.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	349456  

Old 11-06-2005, 03:54 AM
bobslr

Default RE: Sterling Model Boat from the 1950's

Hi
Look's really good ,keep the picture's coming.
Put the motor's in for sure.
Bob
Old 11-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am currently working on the U.S.S. Missouri made by Sterling which is 55 1/2" long and with a 6"width. And I like to say that's lookin good. Keep us updated. And i would go with the motor's and an ESC.

Old 11-06-2005, 12:05 PM
azcaptain

Hey guys,

Thanks for the encouragement. Much appreciated. I'll keep you posted. I'm also working on a "kit-bashing" project with one of the Midwest Products' Lobster Boats. I'm trying to build it with a cabin roof similiar to those very expensive small yachts built around the generic lobster boat design. See photos.

By the way, since Sterling is long gone, I had difficulty finding deck fittings to replace the many that were lost or broken. Midwest and Dumas were very helpful in this regard. I was able to aquire similiar fittings from them. Midwest actually sent their offering free!!!!

AZCAPTAIN

Name:	Lj24093.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	349612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35700.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	349613  
Old 11-07-2005, 04:55 AM
bobslr

Hi
Now you've really gone and done it! You had to post those picture's of the lobster boat.
I've been working on the Midwest Cranberry Isle Lobster Yacht for about 6 month's on and off.
I've had a lot of problem's with warped wood in the kit but so far I have the basic hull framed,built a new motor mount to get rid of the extreme angle between the motor and the prop shaft,made a new rudder out of brass and planked the deck and hatch with induvidual strip's of wood with 20 thou strip's of white plastic in between.
I'm a pretty slow builder to begin with,but now that winter's almost here I am hoping to make some progress then I saw your pic;s and it's off to the hobby shop for some plywood.
Keep us posted on that project too.
Bob
Old 11-07-2005, 12:36 PM
azcaptain

Hey Bob.........

Good hearing from you. I'm gonna hand plank the deck of my lobster boat, too. Haven't gotten that far yet........too busy with the old Sterling ChrisCraft......I'lll keep you posted. I hand planked the Dumas Brookllyn Tug with basswood. But instead of using plastic strips between "planks" I edged each "plank" with a black magic marker. That bled enough into wood to simulate (when laid flat) the tar they used to used to seal decks in those days. On the lobster boat I might experiment with a lighter color, to see if it would look like caulking, which is what I think you were trying to achieve. Sounds great!

I'll have to consider the motor mount and rudder ideas you suggested, too.

I found the Midwest instructions somewhat wanting--sometimes ambiguous to me. But then again I may have interpreted too literally. The diecut and laser cut wood in my kit seemed to be of very good quality and processing. Balsa does present problems however. Ya gotta just hang in and improvise. Thanks to technology we have great adhesives. fillers and finishing materials to "fudge".

John De -- "azcaptain"
Old 11-07-2005, 05:42 PM
subsinker
My Feedback: (61)

John,

I agree, the classic lines of that old boat are most appealing. I built a Midwest Cranberry Isle boat a few years ago (there are photos of it in my gallery by the way) and I think it is a very classy looking boat. I also went the individual planking route. In my case I used 1/16th strip styrene in between each plank. Seemed to look about right to me. I hand lay each of my ships decks as a matter of course. It is the small details that really make your boat(s) stand out, I think.
Anyway, just had to chime in and say keep up the good work! Not all of us prefer the boats that go 100mph!

Best regards,
Pete
Old 11-07-2005, 09:42 PM
azcaptain

Pete,

Good hearing from you. I enjoy seeing others have fun with fast fiberglass gas and electrics, but they just don't give me the satisfaction of looking at a well built, classic scale model. You're right about the details--if you don't get it right the first time, try, try again. Seems if you don't correct each error as it ocurrs, they compound themselves like a virus!!!!!!!!!

How did you power the Lobster Yacht?

I'll check out your gallery for your pix.

John De
Old 11-07-2005, 09:49 PM
azcaptain

Pete,

Just checked out your gallery.............I think you have more toys than I !!!!!!! I built the "Brooklyn", too. Just took it on it's maiden voyage. I was so anxious to get it in the water I forgot to consider ballasting!!! Almost rolled her over. Brought her home and added some 10 lbs of weight including the Dumas wet cells. I'll try to upload a photo or two.

John De

Name:	Lj23258.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	350493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52831.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	350494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30749.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	350495  
Old 11-07-2005, 09:54 PM
azcaptain

Thanks for encouragement.

If you have any photos of the Missouri, I'd love to see 'um.

azcaptain
Old 11-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Does any body remember if Sterling made a battle ship kit...I remember one...but long ago. I would love the kit and have no idea of its cost today. Any help...would be nice.
Safe port to all,
Bobby of Maui
Old 11-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

Am currently working on the U.S.S. Missouri made by Sterling which is 55 1/2" long and with a 6"width. And I like to say that's lookin good. Keep us updated. And i would go with the motor's and an ESC. They round around 250.00 to 400.00 on ebay if you can find one. I bought mine from a gentleman that broke it in half. Thank god i got it back together and boy does it look great so far. I also have plans for it. If anyone is trying to find a set. I sell them for 15.00 plus shipping and handling.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:30 AM
shipper rick

I'm looking for the plans/ instructions on the King Fish sail boat by sterling. Does anybody know where i can get a copy of these as i lost mine in a move and the boat is half built.
please let me know as i would like to finish it i hav all the parts but no instructions...LOL [email protected]