Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

weld marks

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

weld marks

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 09:11 AM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weld marks

ok i have a pet peeve! large scale ship models that do not show seperate panels and weld marks. also a perfect hull paint job! not realistic at all lets not be lazy people do it up right.

1/133 bismarck

1/100 titanic sold to titanic historical society

1/100 yamato
Old 12-16-2005, 01:54 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: weld marks

Anything else? What about scratches or rust drips from bilge pumps, etc.. True, but it would take a lot more work to recreate. I've been to a couple of the Great Lakes Regatta's when they used to hold them almost literally down the street from me in Comstock. I've seen some painstaking work that would drive a normal person over the edge and one that had nasty drips and shag carpeting from their living room or some place that looked terrible. Whether or not they want it to look like it was fresh out of the dockyard or beaten is up to the builder.
Weld marks built into a 'glas hull would make it harder to pull out of the mold. Certain liberties have to be made in some places.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:07 PM
LtDoc

...weld marks? Try laying a bead of some type of glue on the plate(s), then painting it the 'right' color. Don't know what type of glue to use?? Beats me too!
- 'Doc
Old 12-16-2005, 07:21 PM
green-boat

I was in a strictly plastic model shop one day and had seen some of the detailing accessories. In there I had found some photo etched weld lines for 1/35 scale tanks. I think it was from Reheat models. They had various sizes depending on the tank. FYI
Old 01-18-2006, 03:30 PM
Al Stein

It's a tough issue... Here's one of my favorites: the Island class 100' Coast Guard cutter. I'd bet money that the builder's model didn't look like this photo of the KISKA underway -- and the natural waviness in her skin would not have done a whole lot to improve the model's chances of attracting a nice building contract.

Plus, not only beauty, but also wrinkles, may be in the eye of the beholder. The Bainnridge Island as seen in this hauled photo is in flat light that makes her look pretty smooth. I know it's not realistic in all conditions, but I like my boats to look at least as attractive asthetically as the prototype. It's a tough call.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13450.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	390148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45217.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	390149  
Old 01-20-2006, 10:18 PM
timothy thompson

falcon 56 or sr falcon avitar i learned on a sr falcon and she still flys
Old 01-23-2006, 09:28 AM
Al Stein

The Falcon sure was a classic! I have a 56 right now on which I need to do a few details and the covering (built from CG original plans, but with strengthenned wing spars). I've supplied a lot of guys with plans.

How's the Bismark project? I couldn't even fit a ship like that in my cars... but then that is how I chose to do an Atlanta cruiser for my personal 1/144 project. I love the ship, but I'm not yet decided about the detail level I'll implement... it's for warship combat, so I don't want to get ridiculous about it, but I do want it to look credible.