Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Smoke generator

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Smoke generator

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 10:35 PM
balsadustmaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke generator

I plan to put a smoke generator on my Dumas Creole Queen riverboat. Problem is that there are a few available, but I have no idea which ones are good, and which ones are junk. I'd like to find one that does'nt cost a fortune in smoke oil refills.

Has anyone have any experience with these?
Old 02-13-2006, 11:59 PM
jadeski

Default RE: Smoke generator

I have one I purchased from Harbor Models in my Brooklyn and it is excellent, produces a lot of smoke visible while out on the lake.(http://www.harbormodels.com/Harborma...6-smokegen.htm) , and I have also purchased the one from Graupner but I would not recomend it.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:57 AM
balsadustmaker

Thanks Jadeski, I do like the idea of all the smoke it produces, but at $8.00 a refill for the oil, it could get expensive. Another generator I was looking at was MACK products 7090-ST ( [link]http://www.mackproductsrc.com/7090st_smoke.htm[/link] ). It's more expensive, but the smoke oil is just over $3.00 at Tower Hobbies. Problem is, I do'nt know how well the Mack unit works. Do you or anyone else know anything about the 7090 ?
Old 02-14-2006, 08:53 AM
green-boat

I use the one from MicroMark, http://www.micromark.com I think I paid about $30 for it a few years ago, on sale. It puts out a lot of smoke, has a auto shut down feature when it runs out of oil and a small fan it to blow the smoke. I also bought a bottle of smoke oil with it and have yet to finish it.

edit; I checked the site and the smoke generator (item 82602) now goes for $39.99 and 4 oz. of smoke oil (item 82603) is $3.95
Old 02-14-2006, 04:16 PM
jadeski

Crashnburned

I have never seen the one from Mack perform, although it looks like the one Micro-Mark sells just packaged differently, and at $145.00 a unit I would buy the one from Micro-Mark at $39.95.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:48 PM
LtDoc

I've seen a 'smoke generator' on one of the English sites that is actually a 'humidifier'. Produces lots of white 'smoke' but nothing is really burned. Can't remember who makes it but I'll look for it again. Also no idea what the thing costs or how to convert 'L"s to '$$'s. Oh well.
- 'Doc

Found it! Go here; http://www.jjc-electronics.com/
takes a bit to load so hang in there.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:07 PM
green-boat

There is one other one that just came out that uses a piezo electric transducer and water to make "smoke". They say that you can color the water with food coloring to make colored smoke. They were available out of Europe somewhere. The picture showed more smoke (water vapor) than I would ever need. They operate on the same principle as those cool mist vaporizer/humidifiers. The piezo element vibrates at a very high frequency causing the water to vaporize producing a nice size vapor cloud.

Years ago we had one of those humidifiers when the kids were young and unless you used distilled water, the piezo element would develop a mineral build up on it and quit working. The remedy for that was pouring white vinegar on it untill it dissolved.

My concern would be if you colored the water, would there be a colored residue left on the boat deck.

edit: Ltdoc- you beat me to it. Thats what happens when you have to step away from your desk at work.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:56 PM
LtDoc

green-boat ,

Work! Use nasty language like that here and you'll get into trouble.

As for the 'smoke' leaving color deposits on stuff, I think I'd try it somewhere 'safe' first. It'd be my luck that it wouldn't wash out either. I'd say just shine an LED up through the 'smoke' to give it color, but finding a brown LED is kinda hard...
- 'Doc
Old 02-14-2006, 08:59 PM
balsadustmaker

Thanks everyone for the great replys. It's advice like what was given that makes boat building easier.
Green-boat, the Micro-Mark will be the one I'll go with. Being a riverboat, (which poured out the smoke in it's day), do you think one would be enough ? Perhaps one per stack?
Your right Jadeski, at $40 versus $145, Micro-Mark wins.
The unit that Doc pointed out would truly be sweet, however they do'nt appear to be ready for sale just yet. I emailed them......curious to see if I hear back.
Guess the only decision left is to go with one or two generators.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:10 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Be aware, that some smoke generators use Oil, and some use a glycol mixture which is not oil at all.

X-craft was using the Mack smoke generators in his German Z boat.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_16...tm.htm#1735617

Also see:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385672

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330647
Old 02-15-2006, 10:16 AM
green-boat

crashnburned,

My smoke unit feeds a 1-1/4" diameter stack one my Ironclad, the effect is almost what I would say true to scale. With two stacks to feed, I would go with 2 units. Only because the boat is a steam boat and a little extra smoke will give a good steam effect.

I have pondered the idea of adding a piston type air pump connected to the prop shaft. When the shaft rotates it will put a puff of air into the smoke stack simulating an exhaust of steam out of the engine. Doing something like that with twin stacks on yours would look awsome.

LtDoc,

I'm tempted to search the local thrift stores for one of those piezo humidifiers, tear it aparrt and see if it can be made into a smoke unit. If it doesn't work I would only be out a few bucks.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:08 PM
balsadustmaker

Green-boat, if the piezo idea works, then please let me know. Meanwhile I ordered 2 Micro-Mark generators for the Creole. Now if I can find a way to get a microcassette to play a tune I have, over and over again......
Old 02-27-2006, 08:13 PM
balsadustmaker

Well would'nt you know it .....Micro Mark has back ordered the smoke generators!!! [:@] Apparently they have been b/o for some time now and might have them in at the end of March. Looks like I'm back to the drawing board....or bite the bullet for Harbor Models $100 generator and lots of $8 smoke oil.[&o]

Somedays I hate everything!
Old 03-01-2006, 08:59 AM
green-boat

Those smoke generators I think are made by one of the larger G scale train manufactures in Europe. It may be LG, not sure. It is sold as a smoke generator for a trackside building. Try a train shop or the Walthers catalog.