Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

I...I...I caved...she gets what she wants.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

I...I...I caved...she gets what she wants.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 11:10 PM
JohnandTammy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I...I...I caved...she gets what she wants.

Hello, we are new to the R.C. world. We live on a fairly large,clear, lake. Since I have been young I have been fascinated with remote control. Since we have hooked up a computer, and surfed the net for things that interest us. I have been pouring over different sites. I was hoping to get a speed boat, a racer ya know. I am not really sure what happened but as I was looking through different types of boats, she had me said, Go back a page....Lets get that one. She was refering too the "Dumas Mister Darby Tug." After many discussions We have ordered the tug.
Is there anything that I should know before the Kit gets here? How long will/does it generally take?I am looking forward to what the future holds.
John
Old 03-13-2006, 11:57 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: I...I...I caved...she gets what she wants.

I think she WILL enjoy being a builder of the boat.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:14 AM
RCOZZY

[X(] Does she have a sister?!?!?!
Old 03-14-2006, 12:04 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

If you power it properly, it can tow a row boat with both of you on board around the lake.

[8D]

(and you can pick up a zig zag, or reef racer for a go fast boat....)
Old 03-14-2006, 12:52 PM
LtDoc

John,
The 'normal' cautions apply. First, R.T.F.M., which means 'Read The Furnished Manual' (other words sometimes used instead of 'furnished'). Then, read it again. Second, take your time, don't get in too big of a hurry. Speed in building is relative, and like most relatives can be a real P.I.T.A.! (Figure that one out for your self, I'll get in trouble here if I define it.) Redundancy, and 'over-building' is sometimes 'good'. The 'Darby' is a big boat, think big. Not necessarily 'fast', but 'big'. Not having built a 'Darby' I can't tell you any specific things to watch for. But, having 'lusted' after one I've read a lot about them. Expect quality problems, unless you throw gobs of money at it. Or, do a lot of 'finishing' to the wooden parts. Sand paper is cheaper in bulk, you'll need it. And while this one doesn't apply strictly to boat building, pay particular attention to what "SHE" says! If you disagree, well, you'd sure better be able to ~adequately~ prove your point.
And the third thing to remember is that this stuff is for fun. Have fun...
- 'Doc
Old 03-15-2006, 09:09 PM
JohnandTammy

Old 04-03-2006, 10:52 PM
e-sailpilot86

I remember eyeing the Mr Darby years ago. I was probably... 9 One of these days, one of these days. BTW, here's a gallery.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2337365/tm.htm
Old 04-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

I really like these tugs too, though I wont own one for a long while I believe Id find a small like honda clutched 30 or so cc fourstroker for it, or two if theyed fit or gear one for twin screws, you could tone the exhuast down and have a nice sound, and REAL engine, but as a firt boat Id do electric as is standard with those, gas would require much fabrication and some work to get it to sound right also...