Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

My Old Sterling CC 63-Foot Motoryacht

Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

My Old Sterling CC 63-Foot Motoryacht

Old 06-27-2006, 12:14 AM
E-Challenged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Old Sterling CC 63-Foot Motoryacht

Got 'er down and dusted her off to get ready for 4th of July picnic near the pond. I bought her from a kid that inherited her from an uncle some 20 years ago, she was already about 20 years old then. I hollowed out all the lead-loy running lights and searchlight, installed grain of wheat bulbs in them. installed mast lights, rear deck and cabin lighs. Lights turn on in sequence with a servo and pushrod with cams operating micro switches. Runs on an old Leisure 20 cobalt motor, AF speed control, two 8-cell sub C nicad packs in series and a reversing device made from a servo and a truck toggle switch. The search light moves and an electric bike horn sounds with servos and microswitches. I carved bikini girls, deck hand, skipper and grandma and grandpop from balsa chunks and painted them. Made deck furniture from hobby mahogany. The portable color TV has a gow bulb inside and piece of 35mm slide for a picture. It'll putter around scale like or make like a runabout with hull almost out of the water.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12094.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	483429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81412.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	483430  
Old 06-27-2006, 01:35 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: My Old Sterling CC 63-Foot Motoryacht

Awesome!! Bring her up to Hansen Dam Lake at noon on any Thursday! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 06-27-2006, 11:11 AM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice! Makes me want to finish off my Corvette!
Dave
Old 06-27-2006, 12:18 PM
E-Challenged

There's just something special about vintage wooden speedboats and runabouts, really impractical like leaving your grand piano out in the rain, but beautiful. I have the old Sterling Century Sea Maid about 2/3 finished. I also have an unbuilt kit of the same Sterling 63 foot Motor Yacht and fittings set that I intended to build my way. I'll probably sell that on Ebay for big bucks.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:23 PM
LtDoc

E-Challenged - Wanna re-do one of my boats?? I wouldn't charge you too much...
- 'Doc
Old 06-27-2006, 12:30 PM
E-Challenged

Hansen Darn

I have M/S Streets and Trips but it doesn't show much detail about the park. Where do you guys run boats and is it permitted only on Thursdays?? Do you have a club with frequency controls?. Quite a long distance from Garden Grove want to know the details. Thanks
Old 09-06-2006, 08:07 AM
gcv_824

greetings! i still have a full scale plans of that boat. if in any case you need it just email me anytime. thank you.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: E-Challenged

Hansen Darn

I have M/S Streets and Trips but it doesn't show much detail about the park. Where do you guys run boats and is it permitted only on Thursdays?? Do you have a club with frequency controls?. Quite a long distance from Garden Grove want to know the details. Thanks
Sorry, E. I missed this post for two months! Here is a link to the Aquatic Centers webpage:

http://www.laparks.org/dos/aquatic/hansen.htm

RC boats can be run 7 days a week. It's just that the local group of guys meets on Thursdays. Some others go there on weekends too. To get to the boating area, you access the park as if you were going to the huge swimming pool facility. The fishing and rc boating lake is next to that. There is a concrete dock, and that is the area the rc boaters use to launch and retreive models. Fishing in that immediate area is prohibited so that lines do not get tangled with boats.

If you ever decide to go to Hansen Dam, PM me and I will fill you in more and also meet you there.

-Tom