Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Caracca Atlantica by Momoli???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Caracca Atlantica by Momoli???

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 08:21 PM
RBRrunner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caracca Atlantica by Momoli???

So, I have been into RC cars for a little over a year and am trying to venture into this new hobby. I have a few questions and was hoping someone could help me out. Here is a link to the model I am looking at http://www.modelexpo-online.com/cgi-...TRAN85=N&GENP=

Has anyone built this particular model or heard things about it? If not how about the manufacturer, good or bad?

Can this particular model be modeled to RC?

Besides things like radio, esc, and batteries, what are the items I would need and how do I know how to get the right equipment?

Is there a book that anyone could recommend?

I've been reading the forums a bit, but before I continue, I was hoping you all could tell me if this model is even worth the money or even possible to convert to RC.

I was going to start with a more simple model like the Lobsterboat, but I want to jump right in. I have a lot of patience and time to put into this hobby and I want to give it my all.

If anyone has any other suggestions or direction that would be great. You guys rock and have done some amazing work!!!
Old 06-28-2006, 08:36 PM
patmat

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Caracca Atlantica by Momoli???

I heartily recommend asking at the Seaways forum, where you'll find lots of "sticks and strings" modelers who'll critique the model itself.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SeawaysShipmodelingList/

There's also a few posts in the last couple days regarding scale sail and some resources and design issues (like, you'll need an extended keel). You'll also see a few posts from those same modelers bemoaning the amount of r/c content now appearing in "Ships in Scale" magazine (www.seaways.com, and so sorry about that!).

Also check out Lorenz's 50 gun Leopard, see how he did the access to the interior:
http://members.aol.com/LorKaest2/big/03_03.gif

Regards,
Patrick Matthews
Contributing Editor, RC
Ships in Scale

p.s.: ESC??? But she'll have sails!
Old 06-28-2006, 08:51 PM
RBRrunner

Thanks for the info!!!
Old 06-29-2006, 07:56 AM
LtDoc

RBRrunner,
Is it possible to 'R/C' it? Yes. Is it practical without a lot of information, is another question and I'm certainly not the one to help there! Also says nothing about the suitablility of that particular model. I'd recommend taking a look at;
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/
Theres one or two 'scale-sail' square riggers there. Martin had a forum up and running but took a 'hit' from some 'anti-something-or-other' hacker and it'll be down for a while. There was a thread there that covered converting a static model to a sailing model. Lots of help, huh?
- 'Doc
Old 06-29-2006, 07:49 PM
RBRrunner

Great help, any links are much appreciated. Thanks!!!