Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

plans

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 05:00 PM
jerni21
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plans

if i were to buy plans from rc boat modeler, would they come full size so all i have to do is trace the pieces onto the wood and cut them out???
Old 06-22-2006, 06:50 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: plans

can i ask what plans your looking for?,answer to question i think is yes.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:56 PM
jerni21

not really sure, lookin at some of the other members builds, i was liking the way the s.s. minnow turned out and that boat from jaws, damn, cant even remember the name, but the only problem is, these boats are smaller, id like to build something big if im gonna build something so not sure but i was just wondering if i did order plans that they would be full size and not just a 7.5x11 piece of printer paper because that would just defeat the purpose, it would be awesome if they were full size though
Old 06-22-2006, 10:31 PM
green-boat

Most plans sold will tell you the size of the boat or give you a scale that they have been drawn in. If you want the finished boat to be bigger or smaller than what the plan provides then a trip to Kinkos is in order.

At one time I was going to build a Russian Naptha tanker in !/48'th scale. The original plan was on a 8-1/2" by 11" sheet. The final plan turned out to be, are you ready for this....... 18 feet long, 3 feet wide, 13 inches from keel to waterline, 13" from waterline to the deck. Rough displacement was 3000 lbs at waterline.

The manager was glad to see me leave because the kid helping me kept making small adjustments to get to the final size instead of one good calculated one. Once the printing started you couldn't stop it and I refused to pay for the 8 tries that were the wrong size. Thats why you let them do it, let them eat their mistakes.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:55 PM
floatem6

check out Loyalhanna/Taubman Plan Service - hundreds of plans, all types of boats. Plans are in various scales that you may have to modify at Kinkos, to the scale you want to build.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:25 PM
jerni21

got a link, searched and couldnt find it
Old 06-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

http://www.loyalhannadockyard.com/

[8D]

http://floatingdrydock.com/

You can also do a product search for "model boat" plans on Traplet
http://www.traplethouse.com/
Old 06-27-2006, 01:51 PM
Kaymac

Once you get your plans to scale, I find that tracing is a long process that can be avoided by having a second set of plans copied at your nearby stationery store and then rough cutting out the various pieces and sticking them directly on the wood with Scotch brand Post it adhesive glue sticks. This is quick and allows easy stripping of the paper once the cut is made. I usually have two extra copies of the plan made, one for cutting and the second for a back-up when I make a screw up![sm=biggrin.gif]. Another benefit is that you can arrange the planned cuts more efficiently (due to the nature of the adhesive, you can strip and restick) on the wood stock, especially if grain orientation is an issue.
Keith
Old 07-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Vikasman

IF you get plans for a boat that are scale, cut & trace, and they are not large enough for you there is an option. Look in the yellow pages for printing companies in your town, or REPOGRAPHICS.... They make the blueprints for construction sites.
Decide how long or tall you want the boat to be. Find the plan piece that is the longest or tallest and tell the person the size you want. They will determine the % needed to make it right. Then the plans will be enlarged by that % each page.
So you know I had plans for a 48in. tunnel hull. It is now 73in. long. Bigest problem is finding an outboard motor that will fit that will not cost both arms and legg. Good luck.
Phil