Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

esc/motor compatability

Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

esc/motor compatability

Old 07-14-2006, 04:10 PM
fortune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default esc/motor compatability

I just picked up a used Midwest Lobster Boat ARR from an aquaintance. The boat is currently configured with the stock mechanical speed control and the stock 5 pole motor. I would like to put an LRP Runner ESC that I already have from an RC car (rated to 18 turn motors) in it but I don't know if it will handle the 5 pole motor. Will this ESC be compatable with this motor? In addition I am thinking of making a Y harness with deans ultra plugs (my 3300 nimh packs are so equipped), so I can have longer run times. Will this achive my objective and will it give it any increase in speed? This is my first scale boat and I'd like to rig it correctly from the start. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:49 PM
cowana

Default RE: esc/motor compatability

Will this ESC be compatable with this motor? - Probably yes. If it has a mechanical speed controller it probably doesn't take many amps. 5 pole is just the number of magnets - not how many turns the electromagnets have. However, the ESC should work with the motor.

In addition I am thinking of making a Y harness with deans ultra plugs (my 3300 nimh packs are so equipped), so I can have longer run times. Will this achive my objective and will it give it any increase in speed?

Batteries rigged in series - gives you twice the voltage (more speed), same run time. However, make sure the ESC and motor can handle double the voltage. Also, watch out - you may need to disable the BEC if there is one.
Batteries rigged in parallel - gives you smae voltage, twise run time, but more weight - so less speed. Watch out for the motor overheating if you do this.

Andrew
Old 07-14-2006, 05:25 PM
LtDoc

Don't know if your ESC has a reverse but you'll be happy if it does. Makes getting out of a 'goof' much easier - lol. I think Andrew has the rest covered pretty well. Good luck.
- 'Doc
Old 07-14-2006, 05:40 PM
cowana

These forums are amazing! In a few years I have gone from knowing nothing, to being able to help people.

One of my first 'mistakes', was when I was asking for help with a glowplug engine. I have a .12 marine engine, and I posted a picture of a different engine, and said it looks a bit like this.

The engine I posted was a .90, air cooled truck engine. It had a large purple cooling head, and was completly different. However, as that was my first post, I just saw the similarities - they are both model engines... Little did I know a few years later I would know so much more. Thanks to everyone!

Andrew