Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 07:11 PM
dauntlessfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Deep Sky do you have the two big sheets/blueprints that Dumas included with the kit that have dimensions for the doors, etc?

Rich those videos are absolutely awesome! Thanks for doing that.

Bill speaking of cabin doors, what did you do to so nicely highlight yours? Is that mahogany strips you used?
Old 03-23-2012, 07:19 PM
deep sky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes i do but i want to cut  the cabin door so i can later add int
Old 03-23-2012, 07:25 PM
deep sky

i just looked at my prints there only about 1/2 size and they dont show a cabin door for main cabin
Old 03-23-2012, 07:52 PM
dauntlessfan

Aaah, sorry I misunderstood, I thought you were talking about the port and starboard doors to enter the center deck/wheelhouse area. You are correct, the Dumas plans don't include the passageway to the right of the helm leading down into the main cabin.

I made mine about inline with and the same width as the passage to the owner's stateroom on the other side (which Dumas did include with their plans). The S&S plans show these two to be about the same width. My boat is semi-scale or sort-of-accurate, so I'm not sure how exact you are wanting to get on your dimensions. Rich is the man for exact measurements for sure.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53270.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1741940  
Old 03-23-2012, 07:56 PM
deep sky

thanks im allmost ready fo primer so i thought i better cut hole for cabin doors
Old 03-24-2012, 02:46 AM
Sound Sailor

The plan also shows what they call a hatch on the deck forward of the wind shield. That is not a hatch but a receptacle for the sliding hatch cover over the door you are asking about to slide into. Otherwise there is not enough room for the sliding hatch to go forward. That part shown should butt up against the windshield and have an opening for the slider to go through the windshield and into it.. It does not open .

DF, yes I outlined the small doors with mahogany strips. I did this because I was not going to make them operational and so it would be difficult to show there were doors there other than possibly making some scoring marks. While not really correct it does make them stand out and be noticed. I didnt make any of my doors operational since I didn't find it necessary without finishing the interior and also that it weakens the structural integrityof the cabins. I did make the forward sliding hatch on the owners cabin operational and have hidden the switch for the radarunder it.

Bill
Old 03-24-2012, 10:21 AM
Rich404

ORIGINAL: rblubaugh

O.K., so how many years hence has it been, less one day, when Captains Bill and Rich motored a 'near scale' model of the Dauntless on Long Island Sound?
Her keel was laid March 23rd 1947...which would have made her 65 years old. It would still be another year before she would be launched.

I learned this from Don Marshall whotold me that the keel was laid on his birthday.

-Rich.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Rich404

ORIGINAL: Sound Sailor

Dauntless then and now

As bought and after a winters work
She came such a long way in such little time!! This proves that all these little details really do make a difference...She looks like a full sized vessel in some of those pics...Truly spectacular!

I love the way your boat looks!

-Rich.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Rich404

ORIGINAL: deep sky

hi im building my main cabin i see a lot of different cabin doors for the main cabin can anyone give me a fairly close size in inches heith and width for a main cabin door and aprox where center or port or starboard
Hi Deepsky,

Dauntlessfan is correct....The main cabin (Salon) door should be directly across from the owners cabin door. Even though Dumas Doesn't tell you much about the owner's cabin door placement there is a mark where to put the hatch details which you can use as a marker.

The helm was directly across from the center windshield and it was also the width of the windshield. The door will be right next to the helm. In scale the door opening should be 1 1/2" wide.

Take the time to read the whole forum..It sounds like a lot but it is a fast read and it will really educate you on this yacht. I posted so much stuff and answered all these questions when I was working on that stuff. I even posted a picture of the bridge of the full sized Dauntless's helm and door so all the details and answers are here. Reading the forum is the best way to get up to speed and will arm you with the wisdom to truly make a great boat.

-Rich.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Apismelifera

I did not charge the batteries and this morning on the bench they ran the motors as if fully charged. I left the throttles on for a while and after a while she slowed and then stopped. Ok Batteries dead now right? Wrong. an hour later the whole scenario is repeated. Seems these gel packs give up power quickly but recover almost as quickly without charging!
Time to figure the next step but I sure have wasted a lot on batteries!.

Gel cell problem. Sounds like some but not all of the plates in one of the cells has a high resistance connection. The plate or plates with a good connection carry all the load till they discharge, and the terminal voltage drops off. Once you wait for a while that cell has a chance to equalize. The charge from the plates with the high resistance connection has a chance to trickle into the good plates, and the battery appears to recover.

The problem battery... What voltage? What is the Apere Hour rating?
Old 03-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Sound Sailor

John, Problem is there are 2 of them, 1for each motor, and both seem to go flat at same time. They are 12volt 5ah emergency light cells from Home Cheapo.

Bill
Old 03-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Rich404

John, Problem is there are 2 of them, 1for each motor, and both seem to go flat at same time. They are 12volt 5ah emergency light cells from Home Cheapo.

Bill
Hi Bill,

I agree with John, the batteries are the problem. A pair of 12V NIMH batteries are the best way to go...Those batteries are having a tough time keeping up with your stuff..

-Rich.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:22 PM
deep sky

hi agin thanks agin for the imfo i have a question i looked at all my plans and i cant seem to find the location of where to drill for the shafts all the plans say is that they are to be 2 1/2 1nches apart i have looked at about 60 pages here but i cant seem to find any specks is there a set number of inches from the stern and the keel
Old 03-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Rich404

ORIGINAL: deep sky

hi agin thanks agin for the imfo i have a question i looked at all my plans and i cant seem to find the location of where to drill for the shafts all the plans say is that they are to be 2 1/2 1nches apart i have looked at about 60 pages here but i cant seem to find any specks is there a set number of inches from the stern and the keel
Hi Deepsky,

A good way to do it is look at the dumas instructions and install the struts exactly where they tell you to put them. Then, once the struts are in place slide the prop shaft through the strut and see where it comes to the bottom of the hull and mark it with a magic marker or pencil. Then remove the shaft and drill a hole through the hull on the same angle as the shaft and make sure the hole is big enough to install your stuffing box.

After the holes are drilled push the shaft through the struts again and put the stuffing tube in place and make sure everything lines up correctly and adjust as needed to make sure that there is no binding. The shafts should turn freely when fitted in the stuffing box. Once you have it fit nicely epoxy the stuffing tubes in place, sand as needed and it should be all set.

I'm not sure where you are with the build but make sure the hull is glassed and sanded before starting this step.

WOW GUYS...WE ARE NOW ON PAGE 100...

-Rich.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:33 PM
deep sky

thanks but the problem is my plans dont even tell you what the mesurements for the struts are and my plans are not full size they are about 1/2 size there is a pix of where they go but with no mesurements  why dumas doesent give full size plans i dont know thanks for the advice im not to this stage yet i do still have to glass the hull i am still working on finishing the bottom
Old 03-25-2012, 04:00 AM
Sound Sailor

The plans give you the size and location of the rudder blocks and the strut doublers. (the doubler butts againt frame 10)The shafts and rudders are 2 1/2 off the centerline. The back of the strut (if you use Dumas)is 2 3/8 from the rudder post . The stut base is centered inboard of the shaft centerline because of the angle of the V bottom. The location of the shaft hole can be done as Rich suggestedafter you decide whose strut you are using. I personally woud get the strut and do the mounting holes before glassing soI could then re drill them from the inside later but I suppose you could do that from the inside later by placing them upsidedown on the blocks and marking and drilling the holes.
Knowing the centerline, the offset, and the back edge location of the strut you should be in business.

Bill
Old 03-25-2012, 07:29 AM
deep sky

many thanks your right ill drill and fit shafts and rudders before i glass
Old 03-25-2012, 08:34 AM
Apismelifera

John, Problem is there are 2 of them, 1 for each motor, and both seem to go flat at same time. They are 12volt 5ah emergency light cells from Home Cheapo.

Bill
Sounds like the battery has too much internal resistance and just can't discharge quickly enough to maintain output voltage. If you stick with lead acid batteries than try Power Star. I have had good results with them. And they are AGM batteries and a such will be able to discharge at a higher rate than a Gel battery.

http://www.powerstarsla.com/rbc21.html

Other wise I like Nicads in boats. When they start to run out of power the output voltage slowly drops off and I know its time to bring the boat in. I have tried Nimh and they have good run time but the output voltage drops off so fast at the end that you get very little warning before the boat stops. Been caught out too far when that happened once. A local kyacker retrieved it for me.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Sound Sailor

Thanks for the info John. I'll have to decide what I'll do when the finances have recovered from my last purchase.

Well I always said i was going for good representation not true scale. I'm satisfied.

Bill

Name:	Ax73101.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	1742714  
Old 03-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

But Bill, you're not done. You haven't installed a jackstaff on the bow yet
Old 03-25-2012, 04:34 PM
leebart121

I think that it would look even better if you placed a spray rail on the front like in the photo of Dauntless.
That would make the spray be directed back down towards the water and would look more relistic. As is the spray looks more like a sheet of water coming off the bow in my opinion.
It looks great and I love the work you have done to it Bill
Old 03-25-2012, 05:31 PM
Sound Sailor

Actually there is a spray rail there as in the real one and that is what causes that sheet of water. It just is different dynamics with the amount of water being displaced being much lighter with the model.
Thanks for the comments they are much appreciated.

Bill
Old 03-25-2012, 09:15 PM
dauntlessfan

Tonight I finally found something to model the big chrome domed compass found centered at the helm in a picture Rich shared way back in post #1376... now on to that little ashtray sitting on the left .

Name:	Xv64995.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1742924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46236.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	1742925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77238.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1742926  
Old 03-26-2012, 06:52 AM
Rich404

Hi Bill,
What a great comparison between the model and her big sister!! I love the action shots of the two boats.
Hi Dauntlessfan,
Great update!!
I have a question for ya…Which gauges did you use for your helm, I’m still trying to make sense out of which ones to use and where they should go..
Hi captains,
Last night I was able to get a little work done too…When I went into the workshop I didn’t know where to begin because it has been a while. After taking a glance I remembered that I was last making up the seat back foundation for the back wall so I will be wrapping those in tempur & leather soon.
Last night I got a jump on the seat foundation for the two main seats behind the helm. You can see part of the seat in Dauntlessfan’s post above.
Here is how I’m going about making the seat:
After studying the full sized seat I decided to go with aluminum as the material of choice. So I took measurements and went to work. I was able to make up the foundation plate for each seat. The foundation plate is ‘L ‘shaped and the cushions will be adhered to the plate.
Next I will round off the corners on top of the seatback. Then I have to make up (4) ‘L’ shaped brackets that will be either soldered or epoxied to the corner of each side of the seat. There will be two per seat. They will basically become a support that will encase each cushion.
Once that is done I will decide to either paint it signal red to match the cushions or cover the seat back and sides with leather. I’m still deciding which will look better but am leaning toward just painting it. (We’ll see) Then I will cut (4) small ‘L’ shaped brackets to go in the corner of each seat as depicted again in Dauntlessfan’s picture above.
After that is complete the bottom brackets for the chairs will be made. They will be done in aluminum and it will look like the letter ‘I’ . Each end of the beam will protrude out slightly on each side so that an aluminum tube can slip into a small hole drilled on each end for the arm rest support. Again see the photo above. The curved tubes will be soldered in place.
In the center of the beam will be where the pole will go from the seat to the floor. The pole will be a thick aluminum tube from my stash. I will get a washer that will fit on the tube and solder both the tube and the washer to the bottom of the ‘I beam support.
Once the poles are soldered to the ‘I’ beam bracket I will fit the top portion of the seats onto the bottom bracket without mounting them in place. This is to get the measurement between the two poles that go to the floor. Once I have the measurement I will cut another two pieces of aluminum that will bridge the two poles and act as a support.
Finally once this is all done the top portion of the chairs can be epoxied to the ‘I’ beam brackets and the bottom portion of the chairs will be painted gray. Once I reset the floor as described in an earlier post the chairs will be installed. The chairs will act as my access point to the engineroom. I will lift the chairs and the floor that they will be attached to will remove. The floor that the chairs will be attached to is ¼” thick and I will drill through the floor and epoxy the tubes into the floor for a very strong bond.

-Rich.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Sound Sailor

DF,looking good! Rich and I have been trying to figure out what everything was on the Big D. My feeling is that those plungers below the wheel on both sides were to engage or disengage the motors from the transmission.Notice you only have 1 shift lever and throttlw for each side.

Rich enough about how you are going to make em- get on it!

What do you think of this addition I was working on when you rang?

Bill

Name:	Hf10342.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1743171  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.