Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 09:30 AM
dauntlessfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

No shelter mods for me today.

But I am starting prelim design on the big radar display that adorned the bridge at one time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16080.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1746333  
Old 04-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Sound Sailor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool DF. You going to have plans for the helm and radar housing available for purchasefor us less gifted? Rich and I were talking about the radar the other day. I notice it had a removable eye hood to go on top of the screen.

Bill
Old 04-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Rich404

Dauntlessfan,

A TORNADO IS HEADING RIGHT FOR COPPEL TX AT 20-25MPH FROM THE SOUTH!! PLEASE EVACUATE & BE SAFE.......

LISTEN TO THE NEWS AND EVACUATE ASAP!!

BE SAFE BRO!

-Rich.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Rich404

IT IS ADVISED TO STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS & DOORS AND COVER YOURSELF WITH A MATTRESS AND COVER YOUR HEAD FOR PROTECTION...

Hopefullyyou & loved onesare not in the area right now...
Old 04-03-2012, 12:35 PM
dauntlessfan

Thanks Rich for the concern. I'm at home with the kids today and when the storm sirens started going off I grabbed a butane lantern and my police scanner, and we all took shelter in a half bathroom in the center of my house. Circulation went directly over our home but hadn't formed a tornado thank goodness. The hail was big as I've ever seen. I grabbed a few hailstones after the storms passed, but they had melted away quite a bit by then. So much for the new roof I had installed after last year's storm, but could be worse!

Name:	Ca80308.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1746370  
Old 04-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Sound Sailor

Very glad and relieved to hear you and yours are safe, DF. (and Dauntless also )

Bill
Old 04-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Rich404

Hi Dauntlessfan,

Thank god that you & your family made it through this storm! A roof can always be replaced...

That is the biggest hailstone that I had ever seen, wow!

-Rich.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:01 PM
rblubaugh
My Feedback: (5)

DF,

Really thankful you and your family are safe. Prayed for you ever since I read Riches post at about 3:10.

Bob
Old 04-03-2012, 05:09 PM
leebart121

Glad that you are and your family are good DF. Rich is right, Roofs are replaceable. I know as on Dec. 1st we had a large wind storm rip into my town here in Utah with speeds clocked at 120 mph one street over from my home and people had lots of damage, including my home, and we are all glad that everyone was safe and have been taking our time fixing things up. I have spent most of my days off of work replacing sprinkler lines that were ruined when trees were ripped from the ground and also removing tree stumps. My next task is to replace some shingles on my roof.
I know what it must feel like for you.
Glad you’re safe.
Those hail balls are big. They look as if they were the size of a tennis ball before they started to melt.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:30 PM
dauntlessfan

Thanks again everybody. Growing up in tornado alley I am sort of seasoned, but still this one was a bit scary for sure. Second largest hail I've ever seen in my life.

Back to the Dauntless: Thanks Bill, and yeah the eye hood would be a cool addition as well. I'll have a template on this project to share shortly for you (remind me if I forget ).

Tonight I completed the radar display cabinet. Ready for stain and installation.

Wow it's amazing how the bridge area is filling up with details. All thanks to Rich's dedicated research and generosity in sharing his findings on the forum [8D][8D][8D].

Name:	Qo39051.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	1746540  
Old 04-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Rich404

ORIGINAL: dauntlessfan

Thanks again everybody. Growing up in tornado alley I am sort of seasoned, but still this one was a bit scary for sure. Second largest hail I've ever seen in my life.

Back to the Dauntless: Thanks Bill, and yeah the eye hood would be a cool addition as well. I'll have a template on this project to share shortly for you (remind me if I forget ).

Tonight I completed the radar display cabinet. Ready for stain and installation.

Wow it's amazing how the bridge area is filling up with details. All thanks to Rich's dedicated research and generosity in sharing his findings on the forum [8D][8D][8D].

Hi DF..

I'm so glad that you and your family are safe and you only had minor damage...those storms are no joke...

Youbridge is looking great..thanks for taking charge of these awesome details!! I'm happy that the relentlessresearch (and some luck) has led us to a treasure trove of information regarding this yacht. Even though I can't do too much with my boat right now i'm glad that you guys can keep your builds and the energy of the forum moving forward. It's amazing to see some of the distinct features of the original Dauntless finding their way onto these models. I love how your bridge is filling up with historically important details. It's truly going to be an amazingconversation piece at the pond..And to think that much of the info we now have could have easily been lost forever...

-Rich.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Sound Sailor

My first feeble attempt at modifying the Dumas helm. I used thin brass rod and it was inpossible to get a perfect circle. I think I'll redo the ring using a thin insulated wire such as rc antenna wire.

Bill

Name:	Ki19073.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	1746983  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Rich404

ORIGINAL: Sound Sailor

My first feeble attempt at modifying the Dumas helm. I used thin brass rod and it was inpossible to get a perfect circle. I think I'll redo the ring using a thin insulated wire such as rc antenna wire.

Bill
I think it looks fine...most people will see it at a reasonable distance and it will be difficult to spot any flaw.

-Rich.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:52 AM
rblubaugh

It's difficult to spot any flaws as it is.  To paraphrase an old saying, "Only the 'builder' knows for sure".

Bob
Old 04-05-2012, 10:14 AM
dauntlessfan

Bill that looks really good as-is. I recently tried to make a chrome ring around mine using the rings from a presentation binder, but it was uuuuugly. I may try your method instead, much better results. Did you use CA glue to attach yours?
Old 04-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Sound Sailor

On that attempt I used solder to attach the brass. TEDIOUS! Since posting I removed it and first tried wire with plastic insulation. That drove me crazy tring to Ca it. Now used some pretty hard solder (almost wire hardness) and Ca'd it. Looks better and I'm about to paint the ring silver.

Bill
Old 04-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Sound Sailor

Well here is the second version and I guess I can live with this one with a little cleaning up. I get frustrated that I can't do the quality of work at 79 that I did back when I was in my 30's making extra money building and detailing scale doll houses .
Now I guess I have to make a new control panel to mount the wheel. I doubt I can do the guages etc though so I'll have to make do with the Dumas white metal version.

Bill

Name:	Jh15050.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1747081  
Old 04-05-2012, 02:27 PM
deep sky

hi does anyone know where to buy nicer portholes than what dumas comes with.i was going to cut out for them but i dont like the way dumas did theres
Old 04-05-2012, 03:41 PM
rblubaugh

DS,

You can try either Harbor Models at Harbormodels.com, Mack Products at mackproductsrc.com (go to accessories, page 2) or Cornwall Model Boats at http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/index.html and type in 'port holes' at the search  window.

Bob
Old 04-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Rich404

ORIGINAL: deep sky

hi does anyone know where to buy nicer portholes than what dumas comes with.i was going to cut out for them but i dont like the way dumas did theres
Hi Deepsky,

Save your money. Rather than purchase portholes which are not native to Dauntless take a piece of scrap wood and cut a template 1/2" high by 3/4" long then put it on the cabin side and trace around it with a pencil. Do four on the port side and four on the starboard. Then, cut out each one, lightly coat with epoxy, lightly sand and finally paint them.

Check out the below picture as an example. I hope this helps you a bit further.

-Rich.

Name:	Jh14465.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1747367  
Old 04-06-2012, 01:22 PM
rblubaugh

That's the way to go.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Sound Sailor

Well as I said, I wasn't up to doing a true scale helm so I went with the Dumas. As with everything on my boat it is not scale but is representative of the Big D. Throttle/shift made from dowel half and pins. Binacle from 1/2 dowel with the end rounded over and pins for what Rich and I feel were push levers to connect the 4 motors to the shafts.

Bill

Name:	Xv65385.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1747506  
Old 04-06-2012, 02:12 PM
dauntlessfan

Bill you're too humble buddy, that looks pretty dang scale to me. Very well done, sir!

Only growing up around tiny lakes with tiny redneck boats... I had to look up the word Binacle because I've never heard the term . So sad.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Sound Sailor

What I am referring to DF is that I used the Dumas panel where you and Rich went true scale with all the correct number and placement of guages, switches and meters. Mine just kind of mimics the real deal but I can live with it.

Guess you found out it's just a fancy name for a compass we salt water types use, huh.

Bill
Old 04-06-2012, 03:08 PM
deep sky

thank for the tip im makeing headway instaled shafts and struts im doing some moulding around the shafts il try to put up some pix later

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.