Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Old 04-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Sound Sailor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

OK thats a start. (although a couple of items don't fit needed ) Now we require a perp chart with completion dates so we can hold your feet to the fire.

Bill
Old 04-18-2012, 02:12 PM
dauntlessfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rich - do you mean you're selling that humongous boat that the Sea Wasp motors came out of? Think real hard before selling that ocean liner, dude. Over the years I've sold a few one-of-a-kind model boats on evilBay for quick hobby funds. I wish I could have every one of them back now [].
Old 04-18-2012, 05:18 PM
leebart121

Rich,

Things are looking great as of late with your boat. I am with DF on the large boat.
On another note. Has anyone heard from Werdon Morris, AKA Butch?
Old 04-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Apismelifera

ORIGINAL: Rich404

Can I interest anyone in a Large Ocean Liner? [img][/img]

-Rich.
A few pics and details please
Old 04-18-2012, 06:34 PM
deep sky

hi captains ive read from page 106 to 66 and my eyes are starting to hurt can anyone please tell me what size the aft cabin windows should be
Old 04-19-2012, 03:00 AM
Sound Sailor

It is easier to do a search of the thread. For instance I did a search "aft cabin windows" and found this http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_46...tm.htm#8454122

When i did mine I don't remember why butI made them 1" x 1/2" and I like the look of them but Rich has scaled everything to the real boat. If you are going for the true scale look be aware the placement of those windows differ port and starboard. HTH

Bill
Old 04-19-2012, 05:49 AM
Sound Sailor

Rich it is hard to find any fault on your beauty but I feel real nitpicky at the moment. I notice in the glamor shot of you with Dauntless on the mantle that you have the wrong flag at the stern. All the photos seem to show she flew the Yacht Ensign. (slightly different then the navy ensign).

Bill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82543.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	1752336  
Old 04-19-2012, 06:49 AM
Rich404

ORIGINAL: leebart121

Rich,

Things are looking great as of late with your boat. I am with DF on the large boat.
Hi Dauntlessfan, Lee & guys,

You are all tugging on my heart strings here...It's making an already difficult decision even more difficult....I will add up the costs and see what my wife says on the subject. You are all right, the Liner is a one of a kind ship and it is unlikely that someone will ever build another one because it had a long career without any mishaps. I know that I could make it awesome if I were to hold onto it..

John, if I decide to sell I will give you first dibs on it.

Now if I decide to keep it I can have the ocean liner up and running a lot faster and less expensivelythan the Dauntless....hmmm got me thinking...and finally, can I fit it inside my cars without roof racks and huge custom boxes? the final consideration...

Hi Deepsky,

On the full sized Dauntless the windows would be 3/4" high by 1" long....I sinned here and purposely made it 1 1/4" long so that there is a better visual of the interior. On port the windows were further apart whereas on starboard they were closer together. Take a look at the Dauntless video that was posted on youtube and note the arrangement. I hope this helps you further..

Hi Bill,

The flag was for pictures only and it will not be sailed this way. A while back I had bought a pretty expensive yacht ensign for the boat in 1/16 scale and it was way too small. Dauntless and the commuters didn't have small flags on the back but rather large flags were on the stern. I will have to order another flag in a much larger size for the boat.

-Rich.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:30 AM
Rich404

ORIGINAL: leebart121

Rich,

Hey Lee, Last I heard Butch bought a full sized boat and that has been soaking up most of his playtime.

-Rich.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:30 AM
deep sky

well here ia a little more headway got the aft cabin windows cut and a little more done on cabin

Name:	Vt58509.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	311.2 KB
ID:	1752397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55521.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	1752398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75109.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	1752399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22859.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	315.0 KB
ID:	1752400  
Old 04-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Rich404

Hi Deep..

Lookin' good!!

-Rich.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:32 AM
Rich404

Hi guys,

So I spoke to my wife last night about Matsonia, Dauntless and the funds needed to getD on the water. So her thoughts were: Sell the ship! She would much rather see Dauntless up and running and she was never a fan of the ship because it is so big.

-Rich.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:49 AM
Sound Sailor

Awwwwwh, I thought you might sell Dauntless and I'd offer $100 and pick it up to save you the trouble of shipping it. Heck I'd even let you keep the Krokers and I'd settle for the Astroflights. Thats the kind of guyI am!

Bill
Old 04-20-2012, 05:55 AM
Rich404

ORIGINAL: Sound Sailor

Awwwwwh, I thought you might sell Dauntless and I'd offer $100 and pick it up to save you the trouble of shipping it. Heck I'd even let you keep the Krokers and I'd settle for the Astroflights. Thats the kind of guyI am!

Bill
Gee thanks sport!!

-Rich.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:44 AM
Sound Sailor

OK guys I need some opinions. Yesterday I almost started to make a fighting chair for Dauntless. Then I debated with moi over to do it or not.It seems to me like the original Dauntless did not have one and the second owner put it in and removed the seat in the aft cockpitand replaced it with a fish box. he most likely did more fishing there in the islands.
What say you all? are you putting one on your Dauntless?

Bill
Old 04-20-2012, 08:00 AM
Rich404

The Dauntless had a fighting chair from the beginning..see the black & white photo without the shelter top...it was originally covered in fabric and later replaced by the mahogany chair which i'm looking to build...I'm going to add it and it will be attached to a removable floor hatch.

-Rich.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:45 AM
Sound Sailor

Rich, you are the resident historian so I'll take your word on it. From that pic I can't tell that that rounded object is a fighting chair or just some folding seating. Also the location is different from the later one which was toportof the centerline and pole for thecover. Did you have more to go on? The plans didn't seem to specify one but obviouslymuch can change from the drawing board.
Are you going to do the wood one with the 3 slat seatback?

Bill
Old 04-20-2012, 08:47 AM
deep sky

hi captains can anyone tell me ehere i can buy a GRAUPNER SPEED 700 BB 12 volt motor i just missed one on e bay and i cant seem to find a hobby shop that has one
Old 04-20-2012, 08:54 AM
Sound Sailor

Same answer, Harbor Models.

Bill
Old 04-20-2012, 09:03 AM
deep sky

thanks i just checked they have them iv looked at lots ov shops out of stock i forgot about you telling me about them thanks agin
Old 04-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Rich404

ORIGINAL: Sound Sailor

Rich, you are the resident historian so I'll take your word on it. From that pic I can't tell that that rounded object is a fighting chair or just some folding seating. Also the location is different from the later one which was toportof the centerline and pole for thecover. Did you have more to go on? The plans didn't seem to specify one but obviouslymuch can change from the drawing board.
Are you going to do the wood one with the 3 slat seatback?

Bill
Dauntless never had a fighting chair by the definition we know of them to be today. It was a simple fixed fishing seat that was put back there. Like anything old the original chair was replaced over the years but the wooden chair is still vintage compared to todays stuff. It was likely custom made by a local builder. Yes, i'm going to do the wood 3 slat seatback out of solid mahogany. It was nothing fancy so don't try to incorporate todays 'fighting chair' leg amenities to it.

I'm going to take Dauntless outside and work on it today....

-Rich.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Sound Sailor

Rich, 2

Bill
Old 04-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Rich404

Hi captains,

Today I went to work on my boat when I realized that the cradle scratched up the bottom of the boat from being put in and out of the cradle a bunch of times...Also part of the chine was dinged on the bottom too. I decided that it was time to finish the cradle off once and for all. I was going to heavily detail it initially but I decided that no one would really se the details so I just went at it to get it done.

I took the cradle outside and sanded the epoxy so it could be paint ready. I wanted to keep the cradle rough looking so I deliberately didn't sand it very neat and even because this would give the 'rusted' surface more character..Afterwards I painted it in steel.Then I put balsa strips over the top of each cradle arm and epoxied them in place. Towards the bow after adding the first balsa strip I had to cut acouple moresmaller pieces and shape it to fill the gap from the hull curve. Even on PT boats this area was filled withmore wood in place.I wonder if they sat the PT's on balsa blocks? The balsais going to protect the hull from damage because the wood is soft. Finally I went ahead and coated the cradle with RUST ALL to give it that rusty old worn look.

I know Bill...this is veering from the list but it had to be done..

The cradle looks like crap and the Dauntless looks great sitting on it...My job is done here...

Here are those pictures.

-Rich.

Name:	Tr49401.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1752959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62419.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1752960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25739.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1752961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34018.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1752962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99626.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1752963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38407.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1752964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50506.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1752965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98394.jpg
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1752966  

Old 04-20-2012, 10:44 PM
dauntlessfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rich you never cease to amaze... the cradle looks very realistic and certainly fit for museum display. May want to hit it with a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol and a few drops of Indian or calligraphy ink? You'd be surprised how it forces a nice layer of 'grime' into all the nooks and crannies (sp?) just as would happen in the real world. Of course try it on a test piece first to make sure your paint doesn't mind rubbing alcohol.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:15 AM
Sound Sailor

Looks great Rich. Good you didn't sand it as it adds to the look of forged I beams. Suggestion; when working on the boat regularly use the pipe cradle with the foam padding and just put the boat in the display cradle when not working on it for any great length of time. These are heavy boats to move around and get easily banged up the more we handle them.
I'll let you slide on this one but next time I'm calling a meeting of the disciplinary board and it could mean the suspension or loss of your captains liscense.

As for me I am taking a bit of a side track to do some things with the lobster boat since it will be going to Maine with me in June and will be run in Boothbay Harbor with the biguns. I was looking at vids of lobstering and realized the tool they use constantly is a length guage to make sure they are legal. So last night I fashioned one out of sheet brass.Next is the tool for banding the claws.
I have cooling coils coming for Dauntless and that will require some extensive reworking of the motor mounts so she will be in dry dock for a while.

Bill

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.