Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 12:07 AM
mcomp93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Yeah Rich404, I've been in contact with Bill. Last i heard he was getting me some pics of the interior.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:44 AM
Papower

So, Where is the full scale boat? Last time I looked at a pic of dauntless it was beached somewhere on an island. Do you guys have any pics of it as it sits today? Location?
Bruce
Old 07-25-2007, 08:07 AM
Pusar
My Feedback: (1)

Here is the info where she is:

http://response.restoration.noaa.gov/av_subregion_vessel.php?RECORD_KEY(vessels)=vessel _id&vessel_id(vessels)=1942

Here is a better look of where she is.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_46..._3/key_/tm.htm

No updates to the website. Too much work to do right now but am still hoping to have it running.

Marty
Old 07-25-2007, 08:19 AM
Rich404

MComp,

Was this recent or a while ago?

Papower,

Pusar's post basically summed it up. That is where she currently is. There is a road nearby, therefore, the owner has access to her, i don't think she is just dumped there.

-Rich.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:25 AM
Rich404

Marty,

What are your plans for your new Dauntless? Do i see an interior in store for her future?

-Rich.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Rich404

MComp,

Your boat has come a long way in a short amount of time...Cool.

One suggestion, is to do all your sanding and prep work now before you glass. This way it will be easier on you afterwards. Then you do not have to fill and possibly sand away portions of glass trying to get out the imperfections left prior to glassing.

-Rich.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:56 PM
Pusar
My Feedback: (1)

Rich and all..

I think I am going to be a copy cat and do the interior! I think it is just asking for it. If you will notice the 1.) front does not have the windows installed. (correct square windows?) and 2.) the equipment locker is not installed???

The hull was done VERY nice and is straight as an arrow. I think I am going to do the hull in black, grey superstructure etc. There is "glass" in all the windows so I am going to have to do a lot of taping. I am finishing up some other projects as well!

Marty
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92544.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	729856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77444.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	729857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72956.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	729858  
Old 07-26-2007, 08:34 AM
Rich404

Marty,

I agree, i think your new Dauntless is asking for an interior. It looks like a good candidate to be taken to the "next" level.. Until then, try to hold off on cutting the fwd windows until you lay out the fwd cabin walls...It is a blessing they were left uncut.

When time allows you to get started, let me know and i will do whatever i can to assist you.

BTW: Beautiful job on your boats! You have a nice Marina!

-Rich.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:48 PM
mcomp93

rich404 it was a while ago. maybe 2 months sence i last heard from bill. Yeah, my boat has been coming along fast. 4 months now and would be about done if i spent more time on it.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:36 PM
Rich404

MComp,

When getting into the detail phase of the boat, it does tend to slow things down and get really time consuming. I never thought i would spend so much time detailing the exterior. I kind of under estimated it.

Last i heard from Bill, was the post i left a few pages ago...March or something...If he comes through, cool, but if not, no biggie.

Bill's insight was very helpful when he answered the original set of questions i gave him. It was his insight that led me to change the height of the Bridgedeck floor that has had a positive impact on my model. The sliding hatches that will eventually be installed on my Dauntless was his influence as well, therefore, i am grateful to whatever he can contribute.

As far as the interior goes, i may even have solutions to get that detailed in the event he is unavailable.

Using the date range of Dauntless's interior designer "Rose" i put together a timeline that she was with S&S and found existing S&S yachts for sale from years (1942-1952) and noted the consistancies in the various interiors and colors used. I also found a smaller 52' sister ship to Dauntless and noted her similarities as well. When i put that all together with the info that we already have (S&S blue prints, sketches, etc), i pretty much have a good description of what Dauntless would have originally looked like and how it all came together.

This will all be translated in future pics...

Luckily, the interior of yachts were simple then and not very difficult to recreate, unlike the sophisticated interiors found today.

-Rich.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:10 PM
mcomp93

rich404,
Thanks for all the great info. yeah, i figured that most of the work was in the detailing. hope to see more of your pics soon.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Rich404

Dear Captains:

Here are some things i have been doing with my Dauntless.

A few pages back, i mentioned that i was still unsure if there was actually a hatch over the main cabin. After going over all the details, i concluded that there was not a hatch over the main cabin but over the door leading into the main cabin as previously guessed. I went ahead and gave that hatch one final salute and sealed her off. After a little primer, it was like it never existed. (Buh-Bye)

Don't get me wrong, i did like the hatch, but it did not line up with the door hatch, therefore, it looked out of place.

Also, on the pic of Dauntless's transom, if you notice just ahead of the flag, there is a curved piece of wood with trim over it.(See Pic) I went ahead and created that as well. I cut a piece of mahogany with some excess height that i was able to create the curve as seen. Dumas provided us with a piece of wood to go back there, but it was too small, and would not be able to correctly detail that area. I took that piece of wood that they gave us and threw it into my wood bin. It will be re -incarnated into something useful. The cockpit area now has a full wall along with the curve. The piece of wood i made, has been epoxied in place as part of the cover..(Herc and friends do not have to worry about falling overboard while watching the pretty wake!)

As far as the cockpit/Bridgedeck floor goes, I just have to decide if i am going to go ahead with the wood planking as previously thought, or just paint until i get more info. I am currently undecided. (The More i learn about this yacht, the more careful i am about executing it's detail)

I went ahead and made the Bow lip out of aluminum. I was able to cut the notches into it and am happy with the results. (I had a few practice runs on another sheet of aluminum) It will be mounted after i do a little more sanding around the bow.

-Rich.

Name:	Zw69551.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	737600  
Old 08-07-2007, 01:21 PM
12skipper

Hi Rich;
Are you going to install duct work from the bridge deck side wall louvers to the engine room for intake and exhaust air? This would help keep your model motors cool. As usual your research work amazes me. I am sad to say they are going to amputate Sally's leg tomorow so I still have done much with my "Dauntless". Please keep us posted on your progress.
Chuck
Old 08-07-2007, 01:26 PM
dauntlessfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear that, Chuck. Best of luck and many prayers to you and yours.

Rich, those will be some great details. Do you plan on adding that odd circular antenna above the main cabin to yours? I wonder what that thing transmitted/recieved? Is there another antenna/mast of some sort between the circular one and the forward flagpole?

The circular antenna looks lined up just right with the helm so that you could use it as a crosshairs to aim at your target .
Old 08-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Rich404

Dear Chuck,

I am sorry to hear about Sally's condition. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

**The good thing about a hobby is that it is there when you are ready.

The duct work will be done on my Dauntless. I have ideas for that as well, too wordy to just tell. So happens that the men's room at my job has the same vents and i noted it's construction and found a simple method to get them right.

Once i build them, i will post their construction.

My Dauntless will have 2 microfans in the engine room. one will be connected to the ceiling with simple duct work for intake from the 2 forward vents to pull air into the engineroom.

the 2 aft vents will be for ventilation of excess hot air.

The 2nd microfan will be connected lower in the hull to an assembly to blow air that will let out at the end of the watercooling tube to spray water just before it leaves the exhaust pipe. (Hope that one works.)

I will keep you posted.

-Rich.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Rich404

Lennoxman,

The odd circular antenna over the main cabin is so that the Captain can use it for aiming the ship. When he looks at the circle, it is like a scope, it is in perfect center so that he can align it with the flagpole and aim the yacht into a narrow channel or whatever. -I will add that.

Off to the starboard, however, is an antenna for the boat radio. I may or may not add it. My reciever antenna will go through the radiophone mast. Maybe in the future, i will find something to transmit through the boat radio antenna.

When i make those parts, flagpole, scope, radiophone mast, etc, i will make them all removable because i know they will never last with me carrying them around..lol.

-Rich.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Rich404

Dear Captains,

Thank you for the compliments! It does mean a lot to me.

-Rich.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:29 PM
dauntlessfan

That's wild. I had no idea that circle was really for aiming the boat!

So now, on to the Dauntless's signature tripod/mast. Did that radar roatate?... Or maybe oscillate or something? I've already noticed I mounted mine facing the wrong way if they were stationary.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Rich404

Lennoxman,

The scopes are usually used on ships rather than small yachts, but i have seen cases that they were used. On big ships, they were usually built on the center windshield so the captain had no choice but to use it.

The Tripod mast was used for the Radiophone/and possibly radar combo. Most yachts of that era usually had a simple mast anyway, but this was Rockefeller and wanted a Radiophone installed. I am sure that it did rotate to gain signal. The Radiophone is VERY Expensive to use.

There is a book called "The Thousand Dollar Yacht" In it, the author described a "Large Dark Blue Power Cruiser" that read: "Dauntless of Tarrytown". He said the gentleman pulled to shore and waited patiently to use the phone.. When he was done he relinquished the phone to Laurance Rockefeller who put in a dime to use the payphone although there was a radiophone on his yacht.-Those are the author's words, not mine.

-Just to show you how expensive they are to use................

-Rich.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Rich404

Lennoxman,

Here is a pic of the old famed Calypso. -Another tragic great ship. Anyway, Note the circle on the front windshield. Just as an example.

I hope you can see it.

-Rich.

Name:	Eb86622.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	737727  
Old 08-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Rich404

Lennoxman & Captains,

I went back into my S&S notes and realized that the tripod mast was indeed the Radarmast. I recently found the info about Dauntless's Radio phone and figured it may have been related to the Radarmast without rechecking my notes. My bad!

Sorry for the confusion.

P.S. When i get closer to modelling that piece, i will see if i can locate info on it to share with all.

-Rich
Old 08-09-2007, 09:37 AM
dauntlessfan

Here's a quick history of the radiophone for folks like me who aren't familiar with them --

After the second world war, a few radio telephones were fitted into the automobiles and yachts of the rich and important.

These units worked by connecting to one or more base stations, and were half-duplex (meaning that although the transmit and receive frequencies were different, you could either talk or listen, not both at once).

The transmitters had output powers of 20 or more watts, and the areas they worked in were restricted to the range of their signal.

Because of the wide channel spacing and high powers used, combined with the limited range of frequencies available, there was only capacity for a few thousand radio telephones across the country.

As with early fixed phones, calls had to be connected by an operator, and it was some years before automatic exchanges were widely introduced. There was no possibility of hand-portable units: these devices could run a car or boat's battery down quickly if you weren't careful!
Old 08-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Rich404

Lennoxman & Captains,

Lennoxman, that is an interesting tid bid on the Radiophone..

Just to inform you all that i will not have computer access for the next 2 weeks (Vacation) and will post pics upon my return. Until then, keep the posting alive!

-Rich
Old 09-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Rich404

Dear Captains,

Work is finally resuming on Dauntless after bieng away for over 2 weeks. Before i left, i filled the inside part of the hull deck with Marine epoxy going around the perimeter of the deck. Last night, i sanded and used small wood planking and epoxied them in place. I did that so i can build the hull deck as close to the cabins as possible to minimize water seepage from splash that may come over the decks in choppy water. Tonight, i will sand, fill, and add additional planks as necessary to complete this task. When i am done, the cabins will be custom fit to the hull.

In the next day or 2, i will begin to make the exterior door for the Main cabin, and two more for the aft cabin.

I will keep you posted.

-Rich.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:25 AM
Rich404

Dear Captains,

Here are some recent pics of my dauntless. These Pics are of the Built in Transom Moulding, the Gate and Bridgeshelter Support primed.

RPM

Name:	Rp44684.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	757517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20316.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	757518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek15360.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	757519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47503.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	757520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq89320.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	757521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mc50201.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	757522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zb60626.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	757523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us64317.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	757524  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.