RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Old 04-27-2012, 10:07 AM
deep sky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

hi does anyone have any more pix of dauntless without her bridge top
Old 04-27-2012, 11:06 AM
Sound Sailor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Rich is the resident expert on the subject. I can tell you that at that point she did not have the radar mast but rather a wood conventional mast with a crossarm.

Bill
Old 04-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Rich404

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: deep sky

hi does anyone have any more pix of dauntless without her bridge top
Hi DeepSky,

Here is the only other photo here without the shelter top. Save it on your computer and zoom in on it to try to grab more details. also is a side profile drawing of Dauntless without the shelter top.

Bill is correct, when Dauntless didn't have the shelter top she had a simple mast like the one he described.

here are some pictures for you.

All of these photos are in the forum. If you want to search for pictures without digging in the pages scroll up to the top of this page and click on: Gallery. This will open up a box with every photo ever posted on this forum. I just used this feature to find these two photos.

Hopefully this will help you better navigate the site.

-Rich.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79239.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1755667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76515.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	1755668  
Old 04-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Rich404

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi captains,

I had a conversation with Bill on the phone after my last post on the antenna. After conversing with him we concluded that it is better to run the antenna to the radar mast as originally planned. Additionally I will not include the VHF and UHF antennas beside the bridge shelter because they were not on the vessel early on. These were likely added post rockefeller years which is not the era I am planning to model for historical purposes. . Additionally we concluded that it was more of a risk than anything to be plugging antennas into antennas as proposed for the UHF antenna.

Instead of focusing my energy on those antennas it will be focused on the radar mast instead.

Thanks Bill for keeping me a straight path!!

-Rich.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:06 PM
deep sky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks im trying to get an idea of what the bridge looked like this helps
Old 04-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Rich404

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi deep check out the pictures me & Dauntlessfan posted in recent months...there are some good clues as to how the bridge looked.

-Rich.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Sound Sailor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A couple of other things about the topless bridge. On the drawing it shows a venturi similar to the one in the forward cockpit and also a folding windshield. I don't know if she had the venturi as built but you can see the windshield in the pic.

Bill
Old 04-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Sound Sailor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I ordered a streamline bow light with clear lens today. Not sure what It's going to look like but we'll see early next week.

Bill
Old 04-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Rich404

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Sound Sailor

I ordered a streamline bow light with clear lens today. Not sure what It's going to look like but we'll see early next week.

Bill
Where did you order it from? I got one but no clear lens....

-Rich.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Sound Sailor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ordered it from your namesake at MACK. BTW he wanted to talk at length about Dauntless and says its on his list of want to builds including interior.

Bill
Old 04-27-2012, 04:43 PM
Rich404

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can't wait to see the lens...hopefully I can order it from him rather than take more time to do a home grown job..

-Rich.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:11 AM
Rich404

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi captains,

Update: The port side was fused and the ESC and motor was wired up late last night. Also the power distribution panel was fixed under the salon floor using some epoxy and the wires ran under the center of the engine room floorboard and into the owners cabin area where the wires will be made longer. The wires will connect to the LIPOunder the aft cockpit floor which will be a designated control area to turn the boat on-off and to monitor LIPO activity. The cockpit floor will be removable by removing the fishing chair.

The next order of businessis wiring in the sound module. The module will be wired up to both motors so I have to go over somediagrams to see how that will work. I have a feeling that I may have to wire it in with the ESC's but I will see later...There is no way my wife will let me in the boat workshop now..

As always my honey-do lists are plenty so I won't be able to look at this until late tonight.

-Rich.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:58 PM
deep sky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well i made the frame for lower windows with mags in front inlayed and the brass canopy supports it should stay in place
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sq46788.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	1756682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27238.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	1756683  
Old 04-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Rich404

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi DeepSky..She is looking great man!!
Hi captains,
Recently I checked out the instruction book and sound module unit. It is a complicated piece of equipment. One thing that learned about it a while back was that there were complaints that many of them were ‘dead on arrival’ and did not work. After looking at the unit I can see why. All it is is a small motherboard with all the bits to the unit built right on it. There is no case whatsoever so the smallest bit of static electricity is a big enemy to this unit. The unit came with 2 nylon washers which have to be installed on the board between screws otherwise the unit will be toast. I think that this is very poorly thought out and something as simple as a case would be so beneficial to this unit. Being the thinking man that I am I plan to design a small case so that it will have the proper cutouts that I need to access this thing and offer it some kind of protection.
The unit will be located in the engine room side wall forward the port side fan.
The unit is also a very complicated piece of equipment. I had to read the instruction book three times to fully become acquainted with the unit. No worries though because I think I have it figured out. The unit is also computer controlled so it came with a CD that you download onto your computer. It required a mini-USB cable that I did not have but I bought one today at Radio shack. It says not to try to use the unit until I plug it into the computer and follow the instructions making this little bugger computer controlled. One of the cool features to this is if I want to download new sounds or make custom sound clips for the boat I can easily do it and program the sounds to be played aboard the yacht.
It is likely that I’m going to need more wires to wire up this boat. As of now it seems that every wire I need to use needs to be extended and my local hobby shop doesn’t have the wires I need for such extensions. Am I the only one that needs a mile worth of wires to rig up an RC boat? So I’m going to have to get all the electronics installed in their proper place and then make up an inventory of wires needed to get this puppy plugged in.
A couple nights ago I went to home depot for an aluminum run. While I was at it I wanted to find a mesh screen to cover the sides of the engine room walls. I ended up finding aluminum plates that already had a punched design and it will give the engine room a pretty cool look while letting any heat escape the side walls. I bought the plate and will use it to plate both port and stbd engineroom walls. This will sort of hide the ESC’s and components while keeping them cool.
I also went ahead and started making the sound system speaker box. I used solid mahogany for this because this material will give better acoustics than many other woods because it is so dense. I made the box a little wider than needed to that I can drill a hole in front of the box to help get the sound out. The box pieces are cut but still need assembly and glue
-Rich..
Old 04-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Sound Sailor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

H i guys looks like most of us have a progress report but where is DF.

Sky i'm glad you will attach the canopy to the removable roof. I like the looks of Dauntless 2 ways. 1 the way you are going without the bridge roof and canopy and 2 with the roof AND canopy. To me with the roof and no canopy looks cut off and doesn't flow.

Rich sounds like one step forward and two back. I was going to get that same sound unit but now I'm not so sure. I would expect better for $200.

I just got back from the pond and was really happy how Dauntless ran with the 1 1/2" props. She planed real easy and seemed as fast as before. The motors sounded happier as they ran a lot quieter and while they heated some it was no where near as soon or as hot.Pehaps the heat problem is moredue to running the 9v motors at 12v. I do think there may be just a bit less power as she seemed to lose a little speed in fast turns but no biggie. At low speeds she handled well and they could still stop her in a hurry by reversing. I will be keeping these on and keep the 1 3/4" as backup.

Bill
Old 04-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Rich404

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

\Rich sounds like one step forward and two back. I was going to get that same sound unit but now I'm not so sure. I would expect better for $200.

I just got back from the pond and was really happy how Dauntless ran with the 1 1/2" props. She planed real easy and seemed as fast as before. The motors sounded happier as they ran a lot quieter and while they heated some it was no where near as soon or as hot.Pehaps the heat problem is moredue to running the 9v motors at 12v. I do think there may be just a bit less power as she seemed to lose a little speed in fast turns but no biggie. At low speeds she handled well and they could still stop her in a hurry by reversing. I will be keeping these on and keep the 1 3/4" as backup.

Bill
The unit seems cool but as I keep emphasizing it is very complicated and the lack of a case is a drawback. I guess we will have to see how it works out. The big plus on the unit is that it supposedly sounds better than all the other sound modules on the market.

I am really happy that the 1 1/2" props are doing your boat some justice. It is great that we can report our findings for others to follow. it takes a lot of the guesswork out of the equation. So it looks like the 9V 700 sized motors are happiest on those propsthan bigger sizes.

-Rich.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Rich404

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I keep forgetting that those were 9V motors on 12V power. That would be a big contributor for the extra heat generated so it makes sense that the lighter load will help out with the heating issues.
Hi DeepSky: Keep Bill’s assessment in mind when you pick out props because you guys are running the same motors.

It’s funny that the old standard way of thinking was that these boats should run on 2” props but we are proving with these tests that this is not necessarily true. We are proving here that even 1 ½” props can run a Dauntless or equivalent sized planning hull just fine.
-Rich.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:17 PM
deep sky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well i added a thin strip around bottom of windows overlaped 50% to hide seam also helps keep cabin roof on still have some sanding on it to go later it will have staind 1/2 round on it here is some pix one with and one with out the roof
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ol31371.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	316.6 KB
ID:	1757097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34519.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	314.4 KB
ID:	1757098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79776.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	320.7 KB
ID:	1757099   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27527.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	315.1 KB
ID:	1757100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn79243.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	1757101  
Old 04-30-2012, 01:49 PM
Rich404

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

well i added a thin strip around bottom of windows overlaped 50% to hide seam also helps keep cabin roof on still have some sanding on it to go later it will have staind 1/2 round on it here is some pix one with and one with out the roof
Dude you are the MAN!!! What an AWESOME solution!!!!

You are going to be the first to rock a Dauntless in both configurations...Sweet! I am very impressed!!

-Rich.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:41 PM
deep sky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi i was looking at a pix of dauntless the cockpit area had a clear vinel curtan around the sides im thinking if i make them out of some sort of clear plastic it would give more strengh to my top when it is removed im also going to make it so i can take the cross mast off and put the radar mast on when the top is on what do you think
Old 04-30-2012, 09:09 PM
dauntlessfan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

H i guys looks like most of us have a progress report but where is DF.
Hey everyone - I'm still here, just no spare time lately to tinker with my boat.

However I just got the invite to my annual summer college reunion at a buddy's lake house, ya know the one where they always want me to bring my "big giant remote controlled boat". So once again the pressure is on to get her up and running before then. You'll remember last year I installed the 700-size motors right before the event but they ate up the plastic Dumas dog bones on the test run, so I had to leave my Dauntless at home.

Also, yeah, Deep Sky OMG this guy came out of nowhere and is building an incredible model at break-neck speed. Astonishing work! What's your background in the hobby to have these skills?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:32 PM
deep sky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi i if you are talking about me i did body work and built real boats for 30 years i even had my own boat yard .now i build small ones
Old 05-01-2012, 02:57 AM
Sound Sailor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

DF!!! Good to see you are still here.(missed your avatar ) Did you see my report on running 1 1/2 props on mine with the 700's? I am running 12v NiMH packs now also and that cut down on weight. Speed was still about the same with easy plane, and motors seemed happier. Only minor negative was there was a little slowing in high speed sharp turns. I'm leaving them on.

Sky, I put rolled up weather curtains on my shelter top that I made out of clear acetate sheet protectors. If you make the top like Rich andI did (you should be able to search the pics here) they are strong enough to handle. I remove mine often to work on the helm etc. One suggestion that will help to hold your entire top in place is to make brass sockets for your support poles to slide into.

Bill
Old 05-01-2012, 07:09 AM
Rich404

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

hi i was looking at a pix of dauntless the cockpit area had a clear vinel curtan around the sides im thinking if i make them out of some sort of clear plastic it would give more strengh to my top when it is removed im also going to make it so i can take the cross mast off and put the radar mast on when the top is on what do you think
Hi Deep sky.. I think you are going to have the best of both worlds with your model.

-Rich.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:21 AM
Rich404

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: dauntlessfan

Hey everyone - I'm still here, just no spare time lately to tinker with my boat.

However I just got the invite to my annual summer college reunion at a buddy's lake house, ya know the one where they always want me to bring my "big giant remote controlled boat". So once again the pressure is on to get her up and running before then. You'll remember last year I installed the 700-size motors right before the event but they ate up the plastic Dumas dog bones on the test run, so I had to leave my Dauntless at home.

Also, yeah, Deep Sky OMG this guy came out of nowhere and is building an incredible model at break-neck speed. Astonishing work! What's your background in the hobby to have these skills?
Welcome back Dauntlessfan...This forum is not the same without you chiming in!!

I cannot believe that ithasalready been a year since the last time you took her out!! Dude get those motor mounts in!! The pitch and height of the motor mounts can be adjusted with scrap wood if they are not a perfect fit. Also the bottom of the mounts can be sanded down or trimmed to fit. If you have any questions on those give me a holler...

I am also very impressed with Deep-Sky's building skills! He is doing very nice work and he is also greatly contributing to Dauntless by blazing a new path for the bridge shelter. It's amazing that a handful of guys from around the U.S. came together and forever changed this model!!

-Rich.

Search this Thread