Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 139 of 207 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149189 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,475 of 5172

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

well i got the red on looks good so far have to redo the blue i think the molding on the shaft tubes came out good
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig11995.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	313.6 KB 
ID:	1801493   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr54139.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	315.1 KB 
ID:	1801494   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gm22195.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	314.7 KB 
ID:	1801495   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tn31904.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	313.8 KB 
ID:	1801496  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bill - Your fighting chair is remarkably accurate, well done!

Rich - I wouldn't be surprised if Laurence knew the Vom Hofe family personally, right?

All - Another important detail of the model I've been putting off is the canvas shade for the rear deck. Tonight I finally dug in and got started by shaping the frame, soldering it together, and cutting a canvas piece to attach to the brass frame.

I've tried for more than 20 minutes to upload pics. It fails every time. I'm getting messages like below. I'm REALLY ready to take this discussion elsewhere....

500 - Internal server error.

File is too large!!!

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: deep sky

well i got the red on looks good so far have to redo the blue i think the molding on the shaft tubes came out good
    Deja vu... good luck with the repaint.

-Rich.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dauntlessfan

Rich - I wouldn't be surprised if Laurence knew the Vom Hofe family personally, right?

All - Another important detail of the model I've been putting off is the canvas shade for the rear deck. Tonight I finally dug in and got started by shaping the frame, soldering it together, and cutting a canvas piece to attach to the brass frame.

I've tried for more than 20 minutes to upload pics. It fails every time. I'm getting messages like below. I'm REALLY ready to take this discussion elsewhere....

500 - Internal server error.

File is too large!!!

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.
    I can't wait to see the added rear canvas...

I think we will expand this forum elsewhere soon enough. I just need to get through this tax deadline & we'll get the ball rolling on that.

-Rich.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Rich,
    Did you get my e-mail about the lights. They may be good for your interior lighting for "Dauntless"? Sailing season is coming to a close so I may be able to get back to my "Dauntless" soon.
    Chuck

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Alright folks, trying again with pics of the aft deck's canvas top...

Name:	Tr49732.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	1801864   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Up47535.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	1801865  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Captains,

O.K., here's what going on, provided the pictures will post. I started with a picture of the Dauntless, what she looked like on the inside and where I've gotten so far, which isn't that far but it's a beginning. One thing I did was to remove the drive shafts to inspect them. The oiler tube was full of grease so I expected a lot of greas - WRONG, very little. So I removed what greas was in the oiler tube, cleaned off the drive shafts and will lubricate them with 30 weight oil, especially the struts. This should lubricat the oilite bearings all the way through.

There was a question about the universals, if you read through the build article, so I checked them and they are in great shape, Robache universals of the proper size for the dirve shaft and motor. There was a 'flat' ground on the drive shafts but none on the motors. My Dremel tool and I will take care of that in short order. I've already resoldered the capicitor to the motor, which in one of the pictures is shown broken loose.

I have a list of things to do, in my head; I'll have to reduce it to paper so I don't miss anything. Now that I've written all of this I'll give a try to uploading the pictures. Wish me luck.

Bob

Name:	Wu59979.jpg 
Size:	162.0 KB 
ID:	1802170   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xs57518.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	1802171   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gl20492.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	1802172   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ey69988.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	1802173   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bm76308.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	1802174  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ka42798.jpg 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	1802175   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ac63912.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	1802176   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ts61995.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	1802177   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ji77749.jpg 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	1802178  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

WOW! It worked!

From left to right, First Row: the Dauntless; the parts box I received for what wasn't finished; the velcro motor mounts; an overview of the electronics less the battery - how I received it.

Second Row: everything removed (The board on the right is a 2x4 supporting a lamp); I also removed the rudders; note the Hitec EZX-R ESC, MAX voltage rating is 8.4V when it was set up for 12V - No No [X(]; This is why I decided to take out the rudders. I thought the connecting wire was too small and needed upgrading.

Third Row: This fan, which can be seen in the fourth picture of row one, back by the rudder servo, was just 'sitting there' not connected in any way. I will mount it in the middle of the hull, back forward of the rudders to blow air onto the motors. I checked it out and it runs just fine.

So there you have - so far.

Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rblubaugh

Third Row:* This fan, which can be seen in the fourth picture of row one, back by the rudder servo, was just 'sitting there' not connected in any way.* I will mount it in the middle of the hull, back forward of the rudders to blow air onto the motors.* I checked it out and it runs just fine.

So there you have* - so far.

Bob
    Hi Bob,

Been following this nice thread and came across the use of a Computer Case Fan to be installed in the Hull for purposes of cooling the motors as I understand.

I am a little confused because the Computer Case Fan really does not have the Forced Cooling that is needed to cool those Brushed motors with Internal Fan units.

Of course one would say, "Something is Better than Nothing," however, Computer Case Fans are a low Forced Air Quantity type of cooling and in Computer Desktop cases of Consumer Grade they are used for easy Flow and not intended for high Demand such as in the use of RC Boats where the Temperatures can get pretty high inside the Hull. Additionally, you need "a" Hole for Inlet of Fresh AIR and the Exit Hole to permit for actual AIR flow cooling, assuming you will go through this type of setup and use this fan unit.

In RC Airplanes, and especially Electric the above is very true to cool the ESC, and Batteries inside the Fuselage (Inlet and Exit Holes) to allow for Forced Air Cooling, this is called dynamic Air Pressure in dynamic flight. Believe me, it is a challenge depending on the type of Airframe of the airplane model and location of the components.

Here we have a deep Hull and I am just curious to note your use of this low volumetric Fan unit and how you intend to provide Inlet and Exit holes, if any?

Like others who have posted, very nice project and progress.

Here is my method for "Water" Cooling for Electric RC Boat Hobby:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it5LY9hLtkQ[/youtube]

Regards,
    Carlos[8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well captains how does this look

Name:	Yv66031.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	313.6 KB 
ID:	1802195   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Av68124.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	314.1 KB 
ID:	1802196   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rw58086.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	312.9 KB 
ID:	1802197  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Deep,

Looks really great.  What more can I say.

Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Carlos,

I agree with what you are saying however, at least at this time, there is plenty of air in and out.  This model is not a scale as Rich's is and is therefore wide open.  There are four windows on either side of the lower cabin that are open (at least right now), on this particular boat, the bow lip is open and there are open doorways all the way up through the Bridge-shelter and even aft to the aft deck.  Flow through is not a problem.

It is further true that the computer fan is not going to provide a large 'volume' of air, they weren't designed for that, but it will provide 'some' air especially when the boat is not moving.  I have a lot of tubing available (3' lengths) for the purpose of making cooling coils for the motors, if they need them.

Right now I am concentrating on making this boat sea worthy, giving her some sea trials then putting her up for sale on flebay.  If she doesn't sell then I'll keep her and be doing quite a lot more to her, and she won't be for sale.

Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rblubaugh

Carlos,

I agree with what you are saying however, at least at this time, there is plenty of air in and out.* This model is not a scale as Rich's is and is therefore wide open.* There are four windows on either side of the lower cabin that are open (at least right now), on this particular boat, the bow lip is open and there are open doorways all the way up through the Bridge-shelter and even aft to the aft deck.* Flow through is not a problem.

It is further true that the computer fan is not going to provide a large 'volume' of air, they weren't designed for that, but it will provide 'some' air especially when the boat is not moving.* I have a lot of tubing available (3' lengths) for the purpose of making cooling coils for the motors, if they need them.

Right now I am concentrating on making this boat sea worthy, giving her some sea trials then putting her up for sale on flebay.* If she doesn't sell then I'll keep her and be doing quite a lot more to her, and she won't be for sale.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks so much for your reply. I had no idea about the top side windows and the bow lip. Perfect for Air Flow!

I was asking because there is ZERO information to this topic and your initial POST got my Attention as I have that large 72 inch long Plywood PT311 and it has lots of room inside the Hull and top side the cover with the gun turrets do have some holes and the front windows for Forced Air Cooling.

Well, in any case I will be looking to see what you do with the Computer Case Fan unit and how you end up doing your final setups as I was trying to do the same for good measure on my boat.

Thanks again!
    Carlos

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 12skipper

Hi Rich,
    Did you get my e-mail about the lights. They may be good for your interior lighting for "Dauntless"? Sailing season is coming to a close so I may be able to get back to my "Dauntless" soon.
    Chuck
    Hi Chuck,

The lighting on the Dauntless was already done. All I have to do is finish up the wiring on the hull side and they will work.

-Rich.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dauntlessfan

Alright folks, trying again with pics of the aft deck's canvas top...
    Hey Dauntlessfan,

Mr. Rockefeller looks very cool under there!! Nice work!

-Rich.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: guapoman2000

Been following this nice thread and came across the use of a Computer Case Fan to be installed in the Hull for purposes of cooling the motors as I understand.

I am a little confused because the Computer Case Fan really does not have the Forced Cooling that is needed to cool those Brushed motors with Internal Fan units.

Regards,
    Carlos[8D]
    Hi Carlos, I am using computer fans in my engineroom. They are not used for directly cooling electronics but will rather be used to regulate* room temperature because it does get really hot in there.. My engineroom is basically a*sealed metal*box filled with electronics so when the Astroflight motor fans blow through the motors the*heat*is released into the engineroom.*Without the intake and exhaust fans all that heat*has nowhere to go and will heat everything in the room.

*Using duct work the computer fans will be used to*pull outside air in and blow out the engineroom air outside the boat using working intake and exhaust louvers. There are two fans for intake and another two for exhaust louvers which can be seen on the side profile of my boat.* I still need to finish making the ducts and other items in the engineroom.

For motor cooling, My Astroflight motors have factory external cooling fans on the shaft that will blow forced air through the motor case for cooling and they are in line with the electronic intake fans so the motors get fresh air. In addition The motors and speed controls are water cooled which is the bread & butter for keeping the electronics cool. Each motor and speed control has their own dedicated watercooling line so nothing is shared .

In the next few weeks I am going to complete this system so stay tuned on how it will work. While on the subject, the four fans in the engineroom will have a servo operated on'off switch so the fans are not on at all times. Those fans will drain the battery in a heartbeat so this will allow me to flush the air once every few minutes. It would be nice to*find a temperature sensor for this.

-Rich.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi captains im looking at a graupner 700 speed turbo that is a 9.6 volt just wondering if it will run ok at 12 v and what size the shaft on the motor is if any one knows

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rich,

First, thanks so much for replying!

Second, I own several Astro Flight Cobalt Brushed Motors, some in gearbox form and others in direct drive so, I am very familiar with them and they do get pretty HOT!

Third, I believe that I have found another method and it is used in High Performance GAMING Personal Computers!!!

I just came across these systems so, my next step is to acquire the most robust Dual Fan unit and largest Radiator that I can get my hands on and will experiment with my PT311 to provide ESC cooling and will report back. It may take me a few weeks until I get the correct Flow Rate unit and size etc...

For my purpose, I really don't give a hoot if it is for an Intel processor, AMD etc.. since for our Marine Application it is more to match up the surface area of a thermal transfer on the ESC and Flow Rate to perform good enough Heat Dissipation from the ESC.

In the meantime check these out!

Check it out (Perhaps to cool off ESC with moderate Demand?)

Web Site:
    http://uk.thermaltake.com/products-m...?id=C_00001876

Video:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB6ENUPObLo[/youtube]

ORIGINAL: Rich404

ORIGINAL: guapoman2000

Regards,
    Carlos[8D]
    Hi Carlos, I am using computer fans in my engineroom. They are not used for directly cooling electronics but will rather be used to regulate* room temperature because it does get really hot in there.. My engineroom is basically a*sealed metal*box filled with electronics so when the Astroflight motor fans blow through the motors the*heat*is released into the engineroom.*Without the intake and exhaust fans all that heat*has nowhere to go and will heat everything in the room.

*Using duct work the computer fans will be used to*pull outside air in and blow out the engineroom air outside the boat using working intake and exhaust louvers. There are two fans for intake and another two for exhaust louvers which can be seen on the side profile of my boat.* I still need to finish making the ducts and other items in the engineroom.

For motor cooling, My Astroflight motors have factory external cooling fans on the shaft that will blow forced air through the motor case for cooling and they are in line with the electronic intake fans so the motors get fresh air. In addition The motors and speed controls are water cooled which is the bread & butter for keeping the electronics cool. Each motor and speed control has their own dedicated watercooling line so nothing is shared .

In the next few weeks I am going to complete this system so stay tuned on how it will work. While on the subject, the four fans in the engineroom will have a servo operated on'off switch so the fans are not on at all times. Those fans will drain the battery in a heartbeat so this will allow me to flush the air once every few minutes. It would be nice to*find a temperature sensor for this.

-Rich.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DS - your boat is looking great. I think if you go with the 9.6 version of the Speed 700 its going to spin really fast at 12V. I think it can handle it fine, since these are often used on "fast electrics" at 14+ volts with much success and performance. Of course your going to have to consider heat and prop size and come up with a sweet spot for all.

Captians - Carved out the wood parts for Laurence's fishing chair tonight. Next is stain and assembly.

Name:	Vt57438.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	1802667  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: deep sky

hi captains im looking at a graupner 700 speed turbo that is a 9.6 volt just wondering if it will run ok at 12 v and what size the shaft on the motor is if any one knows
    Yes indeed it will run up to 12 Volts Max.

For additional information go to:
    http://www.funrcboats.com/ProductInf...oductid=GR3308

Check out this Video:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkzfpOm8khw[/youtube]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Carlos,

That fan looks awesome!! Thanks for sharing it!! I'm sure at some point I will look to upgrade the intake fans so when that time comes that will be my fan of choice. I really like it. Ironically it was made by Intel. The owner of Dauntless was the financier that got that company off the ground so it would be fitting to have some Intel inside...

-Rich.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Carlos and Deep,

Thanks for the video on the Graupner Speed 700 Turbo 9.6V motor.  Curious, do you know if it runs equally well in reverse?

I have the below portion of a chart I have about the motor that may prove helpful.  It has a lot of good information which is probably on the video but outside of the viewers sight.

Bob

Normal 0 false false false oNotPromoteQF/> EN-US X-NONE ontGrowAutofit/> ontVertAlignCellWithSp/> ontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> ontVertAlignInTxbx/> MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Graupner SpeedSeries Motors

Motor

Nominal Voltage

Voltage Range

No-Load RPM

NO-Load Current

Current @ Max Effic.

Stalled Current

Max Efficiency

Case Length

Case Diam

Free Shaft Length

Shaft Diam

Weight

Speed 700 TURBO

9.6v

4.8-14.4v

2A

12.5A

65A

75%

67mm

42.2mm

14mm

5mm

320g

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bob,

The Gruaper Speed 700 Turbo Brushed Motor will go forward and reverse perfectly.

I have swapped the motor leads and the motor runs the opposite way without any issues.

Yes, this motor's Specification are on several web sites and your posted specifications are a little off since this motor really was not made to run with so little Voltage at 4.8Volts and I believe those specifications are a wide brush of perhaps more than one motor as please look at:

http://www.alwayshobbies.com/Model-Boats/Running-Gear/Electric-Motors,-Bow-Thrusters-$4-Accessories/Graupner-Speed-700-Turbo-C-9$36V-(With-cooling-fan).ice

Specification
    Nominal voltage 9,6 V
    Operating voltage range 7,2 ... 14,4 V
    No-load speed 14600 min -1
    No-load current drain 3,1 A
    Current drain at max. efficiency 18 A
    Stall current 120 A
    Max. efficiency excl. gearbox 74 %
    Permissible directions of rotation R and L
    Case length excl. shaft 67 mm
    Case diameter 46 mm
    Free shaft length 18 mm
    Shaft diameter 5 mm
    Weight 340 g

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not having the technical data available and not having the intelligence to do any tests, I installed 2-Graupner 9.6v 700BBs in my Dauntless. I run them counter rotating on 12v (separately) and they perform perfectly. I had some overheating problems with first 2" and later 1 3/4" props. That has become less of a problem now with 1 1/2" props. I don't have any cooling other than the internal fans on the motors and all windows have no glass. It probably would benefit from water cooling butI have yet to see that work efficiently with the length of tubing runs required in this boat.

http://youtu.be/xim53MEv4Ew

Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Sound Sailor

Not having the technical data available and not having the intelligence to do any tests, I installed 2-Graupner 9.6v *700BBs in my Dauntless. I run them counter rotating on 12v* (separately) and they perform perfectly. I had some overheating problems with first 2'' and later 1 3/4'' props. That has become less of a problem now with 1 1/2'' props. I don't have any cooling other than the internal fans on the motors and all windows have no glass. It probably would benefit from water cooling but*I have yet to see that work efficiently with the length of tubing runs required in this boat.

http://youtu.be/xim53MEv4Ew

Bill
    Bill,

A super looking dumas dauntless, if I may say!

Reminds me of........

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eXB1Yj05Fw[/youtube]