Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 150 of 201 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152160200 ... LastLast
Results 3,726 to 3,750 of 5021

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

ORIGINAL: dauntlessfan

Hey DS looking really good! The round screen on my radar unit was pretty simple - I carefully cut the bottom off of a small clear plastic cylinder I found at the dollar store. It was in the craft section and held glitter. A pack of four cost me a buck .
    Hi all...Happy Turkey Day....

Hi Deep. Dauntlessfan's idea is the super-duper easy way for sure....I didn't make my radar yet but know exactly how i'm going to do it...I have scale guages including radar in differnt sizes. I'm going to use one of those in mine. It will also be lit up from behind so it can be seen at night with the rest of the instrument lighting.

The hardest part is finding the time to do it all these days...

-Rich.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Dumas Dauntless kit plus running gear I mentioned a few days ago has a real bidding war going on.  With a little over 4 hours left its up to $171.50, 25 bids and 9 bidders!  Wonder what the top bid will be?  We'll see in less that 4:30.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Captains,

Where was I, oh yes, an empty hull, devoid of motors. This is how I got there plus some of the other work.

Since then I have replaced both drive shafts, one was very much bent and the other showed (and sounded) worn at all bearing areas. It looked as though it had been run dry. Any way, it needed replacement. Next came some realistic motor mounts but first I had to make room for them. I tried using 1/8" ply for the base but it seemed too thick so I epoxyied three pieces of 1/32" together and that seemed to work better. (I know, some one will say the overall thickness is probably the same but it did fit better) Attached are a few pictures of that progress.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv63233.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	1823121   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uq49555.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	1823122   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fk17875.jpg 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	1823123   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pi16630.jpg 
Size:	166.2 KB 
ID:	1823124   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ep84908.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	1823125  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oe57269.jpg 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	1823126   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tv38861.jpg 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	1823127  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Bob,

It's good to see you getting into the groove...Hopefully there is more to come...

Hi Dauntlessfan,

If you are going to do a build log surely do it on RCGroups. We seem to be the very few that are keeping the 'lights on' in the scale boats section here...All the scale boat action with the exception of the Dauntless is on RCGroups..

-Rich.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi captains i got my radar cabnit built not installed for goodyet after long thought im listing my 2 evx-2s and the 7.2 batterys for sale on e bay im starting over with the esc thing.i still neeed input as to what kind i just dont have an extra 200.00 for astro flite escs i just want to run 1 12v battery per motor someone has to make a esc that i dont have to hock my boat for

Name:	Tq48818.jpg 
Size:	312.3 KB 
ID:	1823235  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Deep here is one ESC idea for you (pic).

Name:	Nl28526.jpg 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	1823293  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dauntlessfan

Deep here is one ESC idea for you (pic).
    This one seems to makes sense..you can use a regular 12V battery on it without wacky configurations..

-Rich.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

what do you captains think about pro boat esc is rated at 30 amps and up to 12v the only thing i dont understand is the motor turn thing pro boat is a 15 turn limit how many is graupner 700 i cant find out and what does that mean

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: deep sky

what do you captains think about pro boat esc is rated at 30 amps and up to 12v the only thing i dont understand is the motor turn thing pro boat is a 15 turn limit how many is graupner 700 i cant find out and what does that mean
    Hi Deep....When you have more questions than answers...skip it...

-Rich.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Captains,

Here's the latest progress. The motor mounts have three generous coats of epoxy on them, the third coming after I cut the air vents. The vents aren't perfect, but they're close. I am thinking of putting an "O" ring on the back side of the motor mount to further hold the motor away from the mount thus providing more air circulatoin, any thoughts on this would be appreciated. The "O" ring is neoprene and about 5/64" thick, maybe 3/32", I don't have one in front of me to measure. I'm using a flat washer and lock washer combination with the mounting screw.

This morning I put some 'lock tight' (medium of course) on the props and the locking nut, also used another "locking nut" plus lock tight to lock the thrust washer in position (thrust washer moves freely) vs using a wheel collar. I can post pictures of that operation later although all you will see is the finished product.. Thought about using a flat washer in front of the thrust washer but that would be overkill, don't need a metal to metal joint grinding away making EF noise.

Next will be mounting the motor mounts permanently in position. One of the pictures shous a battery box with three 'AA' batterys which gives me approx. 5.1V with fresh batteries and about 4.0V when they're getting run down (m/l). With the pack connected to the motor I can really "hear" when the motor is humming smothly in position and will try to 'somehow' clamp it there for the epoxy to cure (6 minute) then slather it up with some longer curing epoxy, probably two coats.

Here's the pic I have so far.

Bob

Name:	Db84079.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	1824577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gc91367.jpg 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	1824578   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ty63977.jpg 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	1824579  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Those look great Bob! You're moving along nicely! And what a clever trick to use a piece of brass tubing as a 'dummy' battery in the pack. I need to remember that trick .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DF,

Thanks.  The brass tubing in the battery pack is not an original idea, I got it from "All Day Dan" when he built his Sterling 48" Chris Craft Corvette here on RCU.  I think his wiring job was better but at least it works .

I'll try to get a little more done tomorrow.  Wish I could build like Deep!  He's good, and fast..

Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi skippers heres the latest pix got the captains chairs allmost there put hinges on the benchs so i can get acsess to engine room and radar is allmost there

Name:	Tr50883.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	317.2 KB 
ID:	1824736   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh20907.jpg 
Size:	316.9 KB 
ID:	1824737   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ot46930.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	310.7 KB 
ID:	1824738   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xr45421.jpg 
Size:	303.3 KB 
ID:	1824739   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hs96610.jpg 
Size:	309.8 KB 
ID:	1824740  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vl80980.jpg 
Size:	310.3 KB 
ID:	1824741   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vx46536.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	313.6 KB 
ID:	1824742  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DS - Your details are really looking classy! I think the chairs really speak to the original boat's style. Kudos! Oh and can you remind me what you are using to clear coat everything to get that nice smooth coat of shine?

All - Check your powerball numbers now. Hopefully one of us will be contracting S&S to build a spectacular Dauntless II tomorrow .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Only if you live in AZ or MO[:@]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Captains,

Just saw a Dauntless for sale, hull started, on RCGroups asking $150.00.  Here's the link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1778350

Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Bob..I'm glad to see that you are making progress on your Dauntless. The motor mounts look great & it's good to see your men at work!!!

Hi Deep...you are moving along with great momentum, keep up the nice work!!

-Rich.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rblubaugh

Hi Captains,

Just saw a Dauntless for sale, hull started, on RCGroups asking $150.00. Bob

It's funny how people buy these kits, get started and then throw in the towel...I wonder how many kits were sold over the last few decades that ended up never being built?

-Rich.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is an update of my own...

So I bought that sound module a while back and hooked it up. There was a piercing feedback sound that came from it to later find that it was defective. So now I finally got around to sending it back to Canada for servicing...The thing is this...Even after it gets serviced I don't know If I want it in the boat....I got used to driving the boat without the sound on and don't miss it...She sounds good enough with the 2 Astro 25's and I might just be happy without the module.

I'll still have to see but as of now the novelty of the sound effects wore off & I don't care to put it back in. The boat is now laid up until I make a decision. Soon enough I want to get back to work on the lighting system. I would like to have it all work by Christmas if possible. This is another 'we'll see' because each time I try to work on the boat, I have been getting derailed by other commitments...There is still not a day that doesn't go by that I don't fiend for working on it...This boat has me wrapped and I long for the day when I finally complete it...

-Rich.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rich - I gotta agree that the sound of the motors is pleasing and realistic by itself. And at full speed, my hull resonates a really cool, low-frequency growl that makes me smile every time. But... it'd also be cool to be able to "blow the horn" at the park when cruising leisurely past onlookers.

What else do you have to do for lighting?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi DF,

For lighting I have to wire up the hull side to get the lights to work. After lots of consideration the lights will be manual and the switches will be under the lazarette floor for easy access. There will be a panel with 4-5 switches that control the lights. The panel will be on the wood box that I began using for the ballast near the transom. There will be wires going from each switch to a corresponding bulkhead that contacts with the cabin contacts. There will also be wires that run straight to the pwr dst panel for power.

When I put those lights in I am also planning on installing on/off switches for the three LIPOS. This way I don't have to remove the entire cabins at the pond to turn the boat on or off. The LIPOS can be installed at home and removed at home. This will make life a bit easier at the pond.

So I know exactly how to do it but finding the time has been a huge issue.

-Rich.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Every holiday I say I'm going to deck out the boat in mini Christmas lights, take it to the pond after dark, and get some great photos. Once again it didn't happen (since I am still saving up to replace a smoked speed control). So my daughter helped me light up the boat at the kitchen table. And these super-micro LED lights show more promise than anything I've found in the past...

Name:	Ca82114.jpg 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	1825691  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very nice Dauntlessfan!!!! I love your boat!!!!

I actually got a pass this weekend...mainly becausemy wife took her entourage to the inlaws for the weekend...Needlessly to say I worked on Dauntless... I made up the brackets for the 4 waterpumps and started the installation process. They look good. Now I need to order 4 more (Y) connectors so that the water will split in different directions...I know I ordered them but they are missing in action....While I was at it I also worked on the owners cabin...It took a few beatings over time from lifiting the cabins on & off at the pond so the weak door supports kept fracturing. So to fix this once & for all I made them very strong by epoxying 1/8" wood strips on both sides of the top of the walls for support. Now the top of the wall structure is 3/8" thick making it super strong to last well into the future. In addition I epoxied more of the joints on the owners cabin wall structure for strength.

Finally, I ordered very small earth magnets that will be used throughout the cabin structure to secure it in place. I am also going to find a way to magnetize the owners cabin so that it sticks to the cabins when they are removed from the hull. My hope is by keepingthem together it will help from damage.

I took pics and will post them shortly...

-Rich.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Arrrg...RCU won't let me upload pics...

-Rich.