Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Rich404

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!!

Today I Hooked up all the plumbing aboard the yacht. There are now 8 water intakes that feed to four pumps that split back out to 8 water lines. This should put on some water show. Now I am working on the servo controlled switch unit. I am making it smaller but it still takes up some space. I am now at terms that the engineroom will not be as scale as I had hoped. No biggie. I just need everything to work properly. The rest of the yacht will remain scale.

So hopefully tonight the 4 pumps and two fans will be hooked up and in working order.

-Rich.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:41 PM
rblubaugh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Captains,

Don't understand why but one of the 3/16" inserts for the cardan style universal joint couplings doesn't fit the 'new' 3/16 drive shaft? I've tried to file the end of the shaft a little with very little help so my next measure is to drill out the insert with a 13/64" drill bit. I have measured everything prior and it measures properly but just doesn't fit?!? We'll see later if the extra 64" will do the trick. Hope so.

Bob

P.S. Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and got that little something extra in their Christmas stocking they were looking for.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:21 AM
Sound Sailor

Bob, don't want to sound like I'm making you out a fool but have you checked that the set screw is backed out far enough and that also there is no burr where it was drilled and tapped for it? Voice of experience here. Don't know how often this has happened to me and that was all itwas. Also you can get the inserts separately from Harbor although he doesn't list them that way on the site.

Bill
Old 12-27-2012, 07:27 AM
rblubaugh

Bill,

No offense taken.  The set screw was the first thing I checked.  Also ran a 3/16" drill bit through the insert, by hand, and it went through without a hitch, twisting all the way (almost sounds like a song).  If there were burrs they would have been removed however this did not make any difference.  I also ran a small 1/8" round file all around the inside of the insert for a couple of minutes, not being too forceful, just a little to see if I could remove any offending surface.  This also was of no benefit.

For the past couple of days I have had the privilege of having the company of a 5 year old grandson (he's go a cough and runny nose) and not had the time to go down to my shop and try to drill out the insert.  Maybe I'll take him down later this morning and 'do the deed'.  I know he's fascinated with my boats; I have even bought a Midwest Skimmer for him to put together (with supervision of course) this spring or maybe sooner since his sixth birthday is coming up soon.

Bob

Old 12-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Rich404

ORIGINAL: rblubaugh

Captains,

Don't understand why but one of the 3/16" inserts for the cardan style universal joint couplings doesn't fit the 'new' 3/16 drive shaft? I've tried to file the end of the shaft a little with very little help so my next measure is to drill out the insert with a 13/64" drill bit. I have measured everything prior and it measures properly but just doesn't fit?!? We'll see later if the extra 64" will do the trick. Hope so.

Bob

P.S. Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and got that little something extra in their Christmas stocking they were looking for.

I had this happen to me...it was because Harbor accidently sent me metric instead of SAE. If it's not right have them exchange it for the right size..

Also make sure that your shafts are 3/16..the builder was from Canada and other builders I know from there prefer metric.

-Rich.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Rich404

Hi caps...

I am making some headway on my big girl....I completed the switch for the servo...painted and all...Also while i'm at it I worked on the exhaust fan....This was the custom thrust unit originally make for the smoke exhaust..Anyway, it got cut down to a square cube and more detail was added to it. One fan was removed to make it more efficient and it was painted gull grey. Today signal red trim was added to tie it all together...I think it will draw attention in the engineroom. This will now be used to whisk hot air toward the ceiling out of the engineroom and they will blow out of the aft side louvers near the gate.

I came up with a place in the engineroom to install both the switch and the exhaust fan. This will be on the aft wall on both sides. Now I need to run the lighting contacts and wires so that I can install these units so I am going to finish up the cabin lights so that I can mount these items onto each aluminum wall...

Lots of electricity will be ran over the next day or two..

-Rich.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Rich404

Hi Captains,

I wanted to post progress pictures but RCUniverse gave me this lovely message instead...

500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

-Rich.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:12 PM
dauntlessfan

Pic post test in three... two... one....

Dang, no good, same error .
Old 12-28-2012, 06:27 AM
rblubaugh

Rich,

Good call.  Probably is (was) a metric instead of SAE.  I have no idea from whom the former builder ordered his parts so I went ahead and ordered a replacement yesterday.  My idea was a flop but maybe it will fit a large motor shft or something someday or maybe it's just trash.  My mistake.

Bob 

Old 12-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Rich404

ORIGINAL: rblubaugh

Rich,

Good call. Probably is (was) a metric instead of SAE. I have no idea from whom the former builder ordered his parts so I went ahead and ordered a replacement yesterday. My idea was a flop but maybe it will fit a large motor shft or something someday or maybe it's just trash. My mistake.

Bob

It's likely not trash see if you can exchange the part...Contact the builder through RCGroups and see if he can confirm the shaft size..Send him a PM and see if he responds..Also, there is an option that will allow you to send him an e-mail..That might be the best thing to do if he hasn't been on the forum in a while..

Another solution would be to bring the shaft to a reputable hardware store and have them size it and let you know what it is..This will take out the guessing once and for all..

-Rich.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:09 PM
Rich404

Hi captains,

Been pushing weight on Dauntless all day!!! I have been wiring up the yacht so that all lighting will work on 4 switches...This is such a slow process and the amount of wires going through the hull side walls are crazy! Once I finish this then a lot more wiring will follow..It looks like a mess so no pictures yet...

It's time to get back to work!

-Rich.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Rich404

Hi captains,

A couple days ago I set up a sister forum on RCGroups. The purpose of that site is so that the historical information that is spread out over 100 pages here is in a few posts over there. That forum should be used primarily for discussions and showing off progress. Save the grunt work for this forum.

Here is a link to that forum:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1796983

-Rich.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:01 PM
deep sky

hi captains i tryed a couple of times to put up some pix dident work anyway got the inside of the hull painted started the wireing im still trying to get some ideas on how to mount the escs like i said before i tryed to glue velcro to the back and it fell off i used 5 min epoxy maybe you captains have a better way like a bracket of somekind any input would be helpful
Old 12-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Rich404

Hi Deepsky,

Every so often try to post pics...at some point its gotta work...

Post pics of your ESC & we will chime in with suggestions...On my Astroflight ESC's I took thin aluminum and wrapped it around each ESc and glued the aluminum to the side wall in my boat. If I need to remove the ESC all I have to do is bend the lip on the aluminum and the ESC can come out.

I need to see your speed control to make a suggestion though..

-Rich.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:37 PM
deep sky

i was able to copy and paste this pix of my esc
Old 12-30-2012, 05:05 PM
deep sky

trying agin to upload i made some headway on the raft not done yet also made forward hatch and painted hull inside i dident like my bow so i started over for the bow light stand
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27536.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	313.6 KB
ID:	1835247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85978.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	1835248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99430.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	1835249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd86968.jpg
Size:	311.3 KB
ID:	1835250   Click image for larger version

Name:	It99160.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	1835251  
Old 12-31-2012, 06:19 AM
Rich404

Hi deepsky,

If there are no mounting screws on the ESC try 3M double stick tape.

Your boat is looking great! Notice that on the full sized Dauntless you have the bowlip but it is covered. I have yet to get up to it on my model but it will get done. Use the Dauntless video on youtube for reference when he gets up to the bow. The lip is sort of like a platform.

-Rich.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:11 PM
deep sky

hi caps i was able to start puting the motors back in servo ext. iv got to get some doble side tape to try for my escs anyway here is some pix

Name:	Xv65050.jpg
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	1835578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55926.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	1835579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io29063.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	1835580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha79614.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	1835581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm73926.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	317.5 KB
ID:	1835582  
Old 12-31-2012, 08:26 PM
Rich404

Happy new year captains!!

-Rich.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:38 AM
leebart121

Yes happy new year.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:02 AM
rblubaugh

Ditto, Happy New Year.

Deep, the boat is looking great.

Bob
Old 01-01-2013, 10:13 AM
rblubaugh

Captains,

I have successfully epoxied the Port motor mount. After adjusting with my battery pack attached I applied some 6 minute epoxy, kept the motor running for a couple minutes to make sure things hadn't shifted, unpluged the battery then left it alone for a few hours. When I came back it purred like a kitten.

Tried switching the universal to the Starboard motor but wasn't as successful, the motor ran rough so I broke the epoxy joint and about a 40 thousandths shim seemed to smooth it out but I ran out of time so will go back later to re-test it. Otherwise I'm waiting for a replacement coupling insert. Might be better to use it's own universal before permanently epoxying in place
although I really don't see any reason why.

Here's a few pics. The first one shows the Port motor in place, the second shows both motors with the Starboard crippled without its universal and the last two just to show the alignment "looks" pretty close, but not close enough.

Bob

Name:	Ki20458.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1835823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86354.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	1835824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek14886.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1835825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv59779.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1835826  
Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 AM
dauntlessfan

Deep - another idea for mounting those ESCs is to make little wood frames to set them in. That's how I mounted mine last time just made a shallow wood case to set the ESC in, waterproofed it, then of course the wood frame is easy to glue into place anywhere you'd like. But my last ESC had the cooling fins on top, looks like yours may be on the sides, so a few holes for air circulation.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:17 AM
deep sky

thanks for the idea im thinking about that same thing or maybe drilling 4 small holes and useing 2 small zip ties in a + pattern to hold them but i will most likely build a frame for them
Old 01-01-2013, 03:09 PM
Sound Sailor

All my ESC are just mounted with industrial hook and loop tape. (Velcro) Some of mine are the same make as yours which do not have cooling fins and are sealed units. Once in a rare while the tape doesn't stick (on the boat side) and a little medium Ca takes care of it . As I said that is how they are mounted in all my fleet of8 boats incuding the one brushless with fins . My rcvrs are mounted the same way.

Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.