Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 06:41 AM
Rich404

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

ORIGINAL: deep sky

i also have a 12 volt johnson motor came from a dewalt cordless drill 386366-00 looks like a 1/8 shaft you can have it if you can use it it looks the same size as the 700s
I also have one of those..I yanked it out of an old cordless drill before I chucked it..

-Rich.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:58 AM
Rich404

ORIGINAL: dauntlessfan

Wow lots of action lately, cool!

Rich - Is your cabin unit(s) all one piece, or split up into sections like Dumas plans call for? I can't remember...

I have nothing to report. Wife asked me to wait for the 2012 tax return to buy new speed controls. At least I won't have to sell toys to come up with the cash-ola!
Yeah man..I'm trying to iron out the technical details so that Dauntless so can run the Long Island Sound, Tarrytown & possibly Oyster Bay before I migrate south.. Today I am going to Tarrytown on my lunch break to scout out launching points.

Tonight I am going to do the last bit of work to the bilge tank and get it installed. Also, last night I reworked the watertubes so all I have to do is take wood strips and create brackets to neatly keep the watertubes and wiring along the side walls. As of now the watertubes are pushing away from the walls and I can't put the cabins in place because they are in the way of the cockpit floor. Once these brackets are in everything will be tidy & ready for the hobby shop tech...

My cabin structure is one piece...I defied Dumas as much as I could during this build.

In no particular order here are some pictures,

These include the exhaust cube, the making of the bilge (sump) tank, the intake duct on the hull side, watertubing and more..

Continued below..

-Rich.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25314.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1838125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63047.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1838126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95836.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1838127   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10180.jpg
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	1838128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79785.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	1838129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70012.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1838130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48664.jpg
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1838131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32816.jpg
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	1838132  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24175.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	1838133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48054.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1838134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49679.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1838135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53112.jpg
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	1838136  
Old 01-08-2013, 07:03 AM
Rich404

Here are some more pictures..

-Rich.

Name:	Xv62938.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	1838137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93380.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1838138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46594.jpg
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1838139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73374.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1838140  
Old 01-08-2013, 08:50 AM
Rich404

Wow lots of action lately, cool!

I have nothing to report. Wife asked me to wait for the 2012 tax return to buy new speed controls. At least I won't have to sell toys to come up with the cash-ola!
Hi DF, this is my Dauntless tsunami...i'm sure you all know the drill....I blast in tons of info and go quiet for a while the next tsunami brews...

It's cool that you will get new ESC's soon enough...I can't wait to see that beauty up and running...

-Rich.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Rich404

Hi captains,

I just got back from Tarrytown..What an amazing experience!!! I now know how the yacht club is laid out so I stood at the spot where the boats come in and out of the marina and I couldn't help to think of Dauntless slowly passing by the place where I was standing!!!

So here's the deal...

At the water's edge to the right of the boat club is a stretch of land with a public walking path that goes along the Hudson...Off the path there are large rocks before you get to the water. After scouting the entire area out I found one launching spot that is doable. This spot is great because once the boat sails off there are beautiful panaramic views of the Tappanzee bridge. This is what you want if you want to sail a model Dauntless..

If I was to make arrangements to have the Dauntless launched from the docks I would lose this amazing opportunity because the large protective bulkheads from the marina side are an obstruction from the bridge. I can however sail the Dauntless from the launch site to the inlet where the boats enter. This would be a spot where the Dauntless once sailed when she was in pristine condition before she was ever sold. I would have to launch the boat and walk about a block along the path towards the yachtclub. My Dauntless would be heading south on the Hudson. across from me.

At the inlet/outlet to the marina is a large rusted and sinking barge that is tied up to the bulkhead and very old..I think that it just might have been used as Dauntless's personal gas dock..I had read somewhere that Dauntless had 110 octane aviation fuel on a dock specifically for Dauntless..Nonetheless I plan on photographing Dauntless beside that old barge in case I can one day confirm that is what it was used for.

Also near the site is a lighthouse that can be seen in the distance. I would love to get some pics with both the lighthouse and Dauntless together.

In order for me to do this I need to check the weather forecast and the tide report. Thie tide report is very important because of the rocks. She needs to sail at high tide because the rocks that get submerged are covered in seaweed which could be trecherous to step on.

Also, this mission could either be remarkable or a complete disaster. If something goes wrong on the Hudson I could lose the boat.. But if all goes well I might end up with a great photo that could be frame worthy as well as the documented fact that the model sailed this site while the Tappanzee bridge was still there.

So I have to get the Dauntless ready for this mission...

I also need one very important element to make this all happen...I need my sailing buddy Bill!! I will need Bill to take the helm (TX) while i'm photographing her. This is a very important task!

Today the temps went up to 52 degrees which is rare this time of year. The weather forcast a few days ago said that this week will be a good one..So I am going to do a little research on temps and tides and see when I could do this..

-Rich.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Rich404

Hi captains,

So I found the best time to possibly sail this boat on the Hudson.

It would be Saturday morning when the tide is high at 10:05 AM. So I think sailing the around 10AM or so would be good. It will also be sunny with a high of 58 degrees and the winds will be light at only be 4mph. Does anyone want to meet up for a mission on the Hudson?

-Rich.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:31 PM
rblubaugh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Deep,

Thanks for the offer.  I checked the motors I have and the numbers don't match .  Numbers on mine are 16 digits long and your numbers were not included in them.  They apparently aren't Johnson motors, possibly Mitsubishi.

I finished adding caps and re-soldering the leads and, thankfully, the motor runs very well now; no speeding up and slowing down, just nice steady running.  I've been able to set the motor mount on this motor now and will start "filling the gaps" and putting on layers of epoxy.

Bob

Old 01-08-2013, 10:33 PM
Rich404

Hi Bill & capn's

The bilge pump is just about complete..All I need to do is make the covers for the stuffing tube box and drilland install the through hull fitting to bail the water. On full size vessels would you happen to know if there is a common preference for it to be installed? I'm wondering if I should put it on port or stbd. Does anyone happen to see it in pics?

-Rich.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:48 AM
rblubaugh

Starboard in pics I've seen.

Bob

Old 01-09-2013, 06:49 AM
Sound Sailor

I don't know of any standard for bilge pump plumbing as to location of output. Obviously it needs to be higher since it is used when the boat has the additional weight of water in the bilge.
In real life larger boats have more than one pump. Many timesI have seen them with to little capacity to be of much use except for rain water accumulation. Proper protection in the real word includes a shut off on all through hull fittings. Therefore if a hose breaks etc. the shutoff can be operated and the bilge pump can rid the boat of the water. True story; I once was demoing a 26' Chris on LI Sound and noticed the performance was slowing and headed back to port.. When I throttled back a huge amout of water rushed forward and was high enough to rise above the carpeting in the forward cabin.I knew we hadn't hit anything, so immediately lifted the engine hatchesand sawthe intake hose toone engine water pump had broken. I closed the shutoff, returned to the slip on one engine and was able to pump the boat with just the bilge pumps.
Long answer but thought it might be of interest to those who may not have experianced 1:1 scale boating.

Bill
Old 01-09-2013, 06:56 AM
rblubaugh

Also through the transom, looked at some pics.  Looks like it's your choice. How about through one of the exhaust ports?

Bob

Old 01-09-2013, 07:18 AM
Rich404

Hi Bill,

This is why I love asking these questions, the answers are usualy helpful. By you mentioning the bilge hose mishap this has just inspired me to add another pump. This one will be all the way aft where the hoses come and go through the hull. Just last night I was trying on the superstructure after spending a lot of timetaping the tubes away from the cockpit floor when two of those hoses popped off when the floor was put back on. If I had the boat on a pond or even the Hudson for that matter it could have been disasterous. I decided last night that I have to cut out the floor corners in the same area that I thought it was done on the full sized boat. This will allow the watertubes to correctly travel to the transom and in my case, let the superstructure rest on the hull. So the next time I mess with the boat will be to cut out the corner section and make & install the step/seats in each corner.

Also I am going to create a bulkhead likely adding to the one that was created for the waterpump mount and epoxy.silicone it. This would let me know if a hose broke and started filing that area. I would have to order another pump which is no big deal.

Last night I installed the sump pit and hooked it up. It operates automatically so I don't have to do anything. It runs on a 9V battery which I have mounted to the wall with 3M hanging tape with velco. In addition, the rudders were hooked back up and I ended up using black duct tape to hold all of the wires and tubes to the aft walls. I tried to epoxy wood strips in place but it became a grueling task because the tubes were trying to push away from the wood.. So after an hour of me being all glued up and the woods not sticking...I said to heck with it and ducked tape those sons of puppies to the walls...It actually looks neater because you don't see the wood or the wires..This is what happens when it's late at night and frustration kicks in..

Here are some pics..

This will give you all a general idea on how the engineroom looks. In addition you can see that the rectangle boxes have the hoses going to the sump pit. The sump pit hose inlets are in a lower area than the rectangle hose outlets so that gravity will do it's job. This is important if you do this. I still need to install the thin aluminum splash guards and tops to the rectangle boxes. Furthermore I am pointing at the bilge hose. It is too short and has to be replaced with a longer one. So today I will swing by and buy one.

Hopefully my bilge tank will further inspire you guys to keep the water gremlins out of your hull.

-Rich.

Name:	Rp43985.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1838504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63510.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1838505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50680.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1838506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54619.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	1838507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22328.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1838508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47262.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1838509  
Old 01-09-2013, 07:26 AM
Rich404

ORIGINAL: rblubaugh

Also through the transom, looked at some pics. Looks like it's your choice. How about through one of the exhaust ports?

Bob

Thanks Bob, I will try to zoom in on some full sized Dauntless pics and see if one stands out..I would put it through the exhaust port because I would have to make a custom fitting and I will never know if there is a big leak. I want to see how much water is coming from the boat. I am likely going to install it on one of the engineroom side walls. Being that I am going to have to drill into the hull I want to make the location count. I will also look at videos and pics of my boat underway so that I get an idea of the waterflow on the side of the hull. I don't want outside water coming in either.

all the little things to consider..

-Rich.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 AM
Sound Sailor

That is why I usually try to stay away from water cooling. with my real life experience and I have seen videos of RC boats sinking that appeared to be hoses coming off since there was no other obvious reason. So far only the Red Baron is water cooled.

BTW did you see the fire that happened to the Boeing 767 Dreamliner at Logan was caused by a lithium battery? Boeing took a big stock markethit from it.

Bill
Old 01-09-2013, 08:12 AM
Rich404

Hi captains,

I found the bilge outlet on the hull. It was on the starboard side just at the bootstripe It was located next to the bulkhead either on the engineroom side or the owners cabin side.

Then I was looking at the running characteristics of my boat in the Binney Park video and most of the water kicks up right where I would place it. I see two scenerios. One, nothing will happen because the tube will travel very high up before settling back into the pump and the water won't make it over or two it wil lkeep my bilge pump busy because of all the water will backwash back into the sump pit. It's hard to say for sure what will happen.

What do you guys think?

-Rich.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:39 AM
Sound Sailor

Rich just a fyi. The sump tanks you are referring to on big D were not to collect and get rid of bilge water but were what we refer to in RVs as grey water tanks.Since I only see the two of them it is possible they were also black water tanks for the heads.Notice there are two of them each near cabins with lavs. It is very possible they also would empty overboard in those days before the polution controls were put in place. Even heads emptied overboard in those days.

Bill
Old 01-09-2013, 08:44 AM
dauntlessfan

Bill - "Everybody, we're going to stop for a swim... nobody flush please!"

Rich, I wouldn't think there's enough pressure for water to force iteslf through the tube, past the pump and into the hull. My only point of reference is how much pressure is necessary to get water to travel through my cooling coils (a lot).
Old 01-09-2013, 08:45 AM
Rich404

ORIGINAL: Sound Sailor

That is why I usually try to stay away from water cooling. with my real life experience and I have seen videos of RC boats sinking that appeared to be hoses coming off since there was no other obvious reason. So far only the Red Baron is water cooled.

BTW did you see the fire that happened to the Boeing 767 Dreamliner at Logan was caused by a lithium battery? Boeing took a big stock markethit from it.

Bill
I haven't seen the news yet but it's crazy that such a small battery can do so much damage under the right cconditions.

I am skeptical to put the pump outlet there because an rcboat pump isn't the same as a full sized boat pump. i'm concerned that any water that washes back will drain into the tank and will have to constantly be pumped. Thinking more about it I might raise it up a bit but in that case I should just put it wherever it's most convenient. I'm a bit afraid at this point to make the boat more vulnerable than it has to be. We'll see..

-Rich.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Rich404

Bill - "Everybody, we're going to stop for a swim... nobody flush please!"

Rich, I wouldn't think there's enough pressure for water to force iteslf through the tube, past the pump and into the hull. My only point of reference is how much pressure is necessary to get water to travel through my cooling coils (a lot).
Very true!! Good point! I couldn't get mine to work at all.

-Rich.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Rich404

Rich just a fyi. The sump tanks you are referring to on big D were not to collect and get rid of bilge water but were what we refer to in RVs as grey water tanks.Since I only see the two of them it is possible they were also black water tanks for the heads.Notice there are two of them each near cabins with lavs. It is very possible they also would empty overboard in those days before the polution controls were put in place. Even heads emptied overboard in those days.

Bill
another great point!! Do you happen to see the bilge outlet anywhere?

-Rich.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:07 AM
Rich404

ORIGINAL: Rich404

Hi captains,

So I found the best time to possibly sail this boat on the Hudson.

It would be Saturday morning when the tide is high at 10:05 AM. So I think sailing the around 10AM or so would be good. It will also be sunny with a high of 58 degrees and the winds will be light at only be 4mph. Does anyone want to meet up for a mission on the Hudson?

-Rich.
Hi Bill..Are you available for a Saturday mornin' mission to Tarrytown?

A photoshoot on the Hudson!!

-Rich.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Rich404

Hi captains,

for years I had my heart set on installing my Rolex anchor on my Dauntless...But today I had a change of heart and decided that she should get a Danforth anchor just like she had for all those years..So today I splurged and bought her one...

She will have a working Danforth and it also comes with the mounting brackets so I don't have to fuss with making them. I bought the 55mm one.

I just called up and was told "It is PRETTY!!"

Here it is..

http://wetgoose.com/catalog/catpgc.html
Old 01-09-2013, 09:49 AM
Sound Sailor

Hi Bill..Are you available for a Saturday mornin' mission to Tarrytown?

A photoshoot on the Hudson!!

-Rich.
Would you make me wear white ducks, a blazer, and a Hugh Hefner captains hat and answer to Tommy?

Bill
Old 01-09-2013, 09:52 AM
Rich404

Would you make me wear white ducks, a blazer, and a Hugh Hefner captains hat and answer to Tommy?

Bill
Nope but you could wear a blue Dauntless cap that says 'skipper' on the back...

-Rich.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:14 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Bill, even today sewage is dumped over the side, but with a twist. Many of the larger yachts have a unit called a macerator installed in the sewage system that "processes" the contents of the black and grey water tanks before pumping it over the side. With that being said, to use one in any fresh water environment or within 12 miles of the coast will cost you a hefty fine IF YOU GET CAUGHT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.