Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Old 02-21-2013, 03:39 PM
BigWoodie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Sig manufactoring, www.com, has 600 size can motors for $4.95 in addition to some fine German brushless motors for under $100. At their website just click on electric flight accessories. Surplus can motors can also be found at www.allelectronics.com, a company I have done business with for over 20 years and only once been disappointed. They also stock lead acid gel batteries to 18amps. If you don't mind spending a little more on shipping there is sciplus.com. who also have motors and other stuff.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Sound Sailor

Y'all are certainly encouraged to do your own research and buying. I am just a dottering old fool giving my observations and 'sperience. If you go with a can motorI would think water cooling would be mandatory as they are pretty sealed whereas motors like the Grauptner have large openings and an internal fan by the brushes. Just sayin.

Bill
Old 02-21-2013, 04:34 PM
dauntlessfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another option - The Johnson 700 motors I'm using came from All Electronics. I don't remember the exact price but I'm pretty sure they were less than $10 each. They have vents and cooling fins. Plus I added cooling coils but not sure they're necessary with my setup. With 12 volts they're turning 1 3/4" props nicely. They aren't listed on the site right now, but do come up from time to time. I see a few on FeeBay but one is $30 + 20 int'l shipping. The other is $13.95 with free shipping but the output shaft is odd.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:36 PM
deep sky

here is a pix of mine. these mounts are on e bay under 700 motor mounts in toys and hobbys they have plenty of room for cooling tubes they came from england i was suprised at how fast they came my 700 graupners fit nice
Old 02-22-2013, 12:00 PM
kokaneezer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gentlemen: 
         Can anyone help me with info or tips on the side hull? Do the side pieces cover the edge of the sheer or fit just under it so that the lamination of shear would be visible or would lamination in shear be covered by the side? I'm at work and don't have plans in front of me. The plans as I remember show lines indicating lamination showing. I have spent the last two hours reviewing this site and cannot find clear evidence either way. Some of my frames are even with the edge of the shear and some are short of edge so that is not much  of a clue.
 Thank you so much.
Steve
Old 02-22-2013, 12:50 PM
deep sky

here is a pix of my hull if you look starting on page 122 you can see my hull and skining progesss. anyway the side skin covers the sheer when its all sheeted and the deck is on you sand the sides down tothe deck
Old 02-22-2013, 01:06 PM
kokaneezer

Thanks Deep Sky! and thanks for your previous tip on handling the chines. The double 1/8 X 1/4 was extremely helpful. I added a piece for securing to the bow and will post pic soon
Old 02-22-2013, 05:35 PM
BigWoodie

Am I the only one whose kit is plain 3 ply white plywood? I keep stumbling over notes in the instructions about the mahoghany this and the manoghany that. What mahoghany?
Old 02-22-2013, 05:48 PM
kokaneezer

Mine is fresh and came in white 3 ply as well. From what I been reading it's a plus as the grain is not so deep.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:49 PM
deep sky

hi bid w some of these kits were made with manoghany ply and some were mixed ply and some were made with white ply so it was a toss up of what they had on hand the last kit i built 1/2 the cabin roof was white ply and the outher 1/2 was manoghany ply
Old 02-23-2013, 06:45 AM
BigWoodie

Thanks guys for clearing that up. Beginning to sound like a fire sale. A couple of years back Pat Matthews posted a photo on RC groups of one he saw in Germany. It was almost all mahoghany topsides and is what convinced me to buy the kit. I would use stained pear but cannot find sheets longer than 12 inches and I do not like seams and splices. Mahoghany veneer in 1/16 thickness is available from Constantines.com. in lengths longer than 12 inches but as mentioned, it does have some open grain problems. A 1/12 scale model might lend itself to door skin but I have too many unfinished projects for that at present.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:03 AM
Rich404

With this kit you can substitute the wood for whatever you want. For example if you would want to do the Dauntless in ALL mahogany it is easy enough to get the wood and trace the parts and cut them out using the superior wood of your choice.

I used lots of solid mahogany in my boat when I was adding interior sections with new bulkheads. I sourced the wood from:Rockler.com

At Rockler they have everything you need to make the Dauntless as exotic as you want. They have mahogany, cherry, walnut, Oak and tons of exotic woods. I bought mahogany 1/8" thick by 6" and lengths that went to something like 72". You can get as wild as you want to make her as exotic as you want.

They even sell wood species that are extinct! I also bought the fastners for my superstructure through them as well. I can't speak highly enough about this company.

http://www.rockler.com/

-Rich.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:26 PM
BigWoodie

Thanks for the heads up Rich. I finally did find another company that sells pear veneer. Unfortunately they were not open today so I emailed a request as to the thickness. My professional modelling friend in England uses it because of its fine grain in lieu of real mahoghany.

The hull bottom is finished and I started fairing it today with some bondo filler. Maybe will be in glass by Wednesday or so and then on to motors and such.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:44 PM
kokaneezer

Here is short version of how I handled the chines. Its a 9 step process and I will be glad to send them if needed. Very easy compared to wrestling the 1/4" piece. The result is very strong and pleasing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84437.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1855474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90785.jpg
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1855475  
Old 02-23-2013, 08:23 PM
dauntlessfan

Steve and BW - Thought I'd post a few pics of my hull being finished and then glassed. I think this is right about the point in the build you guys are at.

I put many extra fiberglass layers around the bow to make it extra tough. I used wood filler paste to fill in the low areas. I glassed all the cabin roof/decks as well.

On that chine, I cheated and used balsa when the bends got tight, then coated with epoxy inside the hull.

Name:	Ay74804.jpg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1855505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72079.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1855506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz70059.jpg
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1855507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88312.jpg
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1855508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te46828.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1855509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dt18925.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1855510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ce68874.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1855511  
Old 02-23-2013, 10:02 PM
dauntlessfan

My daughter found a male figure that fits this model, wearing a nice suit. I think it may be a wedding cake topper?

I remember as a kid in the '70s, we would dress in our Sunday best to fly American Airlines and see my grandparents. I miss the days when travel was so formal and respectful. Anyway, my daughter also picked out a puppy for the boat so I took a pic of that as well.

Rich - I still have a semi-scale outboard motor for my tender but removed it a while back, thinking it wasn't accurate. Knowing what you've learned on your St. Croix trip, do you think I should reinstall it?

Name:	Sq47602.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	1855524   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73712.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	1855525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq35631.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	1855526  
Old 02-24-2013, 05:12 AM
Rich404

Hi Dauntlessfan,

The figure you have for your boat is PERFECT!!! He doesn't get much better than that!!

I agree, lost are the days when people are required to dress formal to do such things as flying or riding on an Ocean Liner...Oh I mean cruise ship...I've been working for the same company for 21 years and I remember when I started if someone came to work without a tie you could expect to get sent home..and that wasn't good... Today if I wear a tie, which I sometimes call 'going retro' people laugh and say:" Are you going on an interview?" Woman on the otherhand suffered the same consequences when they wore opened toe shoes but today no one really cares. So the attitude of America went from very formal to much more relaxed. I think this trend will only continue on in the future.

As for the motor, I know that Rockefeller and Marshall had it stowed away for sure. I will ask the former owner what their approach was. I think it would have been stowed away not only because it looked neater but those outboard motors were fairly light and could easily be stolen if left out in the open. Here i'm talking about experience with my father being a boat owner. Valuables that can easily be stolen are generally locked away.

-Rich.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:50 AM
Rich404

Then there's the etiquette thing. For example sailing with your fenders on this side of your boat is called "hanging your laundry" and is frowned upon in the boating community so having the motor on a stowed tender could fall in the same catagory..I'm sure Bill will have some good insight on this one...

-Rich.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Rich404

It's funny how boats play a part in our car choices. It was time to trade in my little Toyota for a larger car and this time around I made sure to buy a car big enough to fit the family and my boats with ease. Needless to say the car I bought is huge. I can pack up the Dauntless, Brooklyn, the carrying cart and my whole family. Do you guys consider the boats when determining what kind of car to buy?

-Rich.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:28 PM
BigWoodie

Coupe de ville work?
Old 02-24-2013, 03:20 PM
Sound Sailor

So, you got an Escalade? How will i recognize you now, I went the cheap disguise route with the beard and it worked.

BTW you would not believe the scratch built Thunderbird that was at the show!!!!

Bill
edited to add: Paul posted some photos of the Tbird on the club thread
Old 02-25-2013, 07:18 AM
Rich404

Hi captains,

I bought the Buick Enclave. I love the fact that we don't need to take 2 cars to the pond anymore. Before this car I would fill up one car with the boats and another car with my wife and and kids to follow me to the pond.

I know the Thunderbird, I used to follow her build log. She is a beautiful boat. I'm not surprised at all that she took first place for scale boats because she's a very photogenic subject. I had no idea that they were holding beauty contests at the show.

So what goodies did you pick up over there? Did you get to take any pictures?

-Rich.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:20 AM
kokaneezer

I'm looking for pics of clamp setup to form the forward bottom planking. I have skimmed through 1st 90 pages of this forum and haven't seen any. I did find post #2208 dated 2/12/2012 where Rich posted " Forget Dumas and go MACK for hardware. MACK is so much better for the money." This is where I got the idea to search elsewhere for hdwe.
Steve
Old 02-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Sound Sailor

Ahhhhhhhh you listened to Rich! We never listen to Rich.

Bill
Old 02-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Rich404

ORIGINAL: kokaneezer

I'm looking for pics of clamp setup to form the forward bottom planking. I have skimmed through 1st 90 pages of this forum and haven't seen any. I did find post #2208 dated 2/12/2012 where Rich posted " Forget Dumas and go MACK for hardware. MACK is so much better for the money." This is where I got the idea to search elsewhere for hdwe.
Steve
Yes, It's true!! I like MACK so much better than Dumas...BUT....Under the circumstances I'll give Dumas a pass for now..When MACK's operation is in full swing again...ALL bets are off!!I will go back to pushing MACK when the running hardware question comes up..

BUT you don't have to listen to me if you don't want to..

-Rich.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.