Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Old 03-29-2018, 03:14 AM
Darron16

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default I hope it flys?

Originally Posted by dauntlessfan View Post
Great looking lettering Darron. Any more pics? With those props and trim tabs, the boat must really fly across the water!

Mine is still in dry storage until Spring...
Hello Dauntless fan I have been trying to add more pics for you to see and having trouble figuring out this site the pic you have allready seen was just blind luck I will ventually figure it out however thanks for your kind words I have a long way to go before my Dauntless is ready for its maiden voyage so I still do not know if it will fly along or not? Im using Como drills 850 motors to drive the props and connected directly to the props there a big motor so should give her a good speed However I do not know yet without reduction how many amps the motors will pull? if its to much i may have to gear them down So its all pie in the sky at the moment PS dig your winterised ticket loll .
Old 03-29-2018, 03:34 AM
Darron16

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Silly rules? I still messing about trying to upload more pics of my Dauntless when i try to upload I Keep getting a message you can only upload urls when you have atleast 10 posts? well somthing like that? dont ask me how I got my first pic f may Dauntless on the site for you to see? But anyway despite knowing the original Dauntless did not have trim tabs Im glad you like mine. that sead the original Dauntless did not have planked woddern decks eather Loll And That is what Im doing.my number one rule when it comes to model bouilding is there is no rules. Critics might dissagree?
Old 03-29-2018, 12:37 PM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Darron16 View Post
my number one rule when it comes to model bouilding is there is no rules. Critics might dissagree?
I TOTALLY DISAGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THERE ARE RULES FOR EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now, the question is do you want to follow the rules? If you're building a scale model, you stay within the guidelines to make it scale. If you're building something that isn't to scale or a one off, KNOCK YOURSELF OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2018, 02:50 AM
Darron16

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello Hydro junkie. your opinion is noted my dear fellow. As it goes I did not plan to build my Dauntless to scale so yes I'm going to knock myself out! With the Dauntless kit That I got to be frank I was not impressed with the metal cast fittings finding some In my opinion UNUSABLE! Ive found others accordingly to replace them. I wonder if anyone else thinks the same? perhaps I got a bad batch? as for the little Tender that comes with the kit the first word that sprung to my mind was BATH TUB I truly hate it so have replaced that with a RIB again this is not what the Dauntless had. none the less I like the look.
HAPPY BUILDING FELLOW MODELERS.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:40 PM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Unfortunately, Dumas cast parts and hardware are all pretty much at the low end of the quality spectrum. Mack has much better stuff and has been used by many when it comes to building "scale" Dumas boat kits. Their address is
MACK Products Model Marine
Old 04-10-2018, 08:35 AM
Darron16

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Many thanks Hydro Junkie Like your Name by the way. I do not know MACK PRODUCTS Its a new one to me I am in Europe Spain to be exact ,and local supplyers are not very good and few and far between ,so you can be sure I will be checking out Mack products you have kindly informed me about.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:26 AM
Darron16

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default props

another pic of the props and trim tabs
for Dauntlessan if it works? tring to attatch a prop pic

Last edited by Darron16; 04-13-2018 at 09:48 AM. Reason: want to add pic
Old 04-13-2018, 09:33 AM
Darron16

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Work is still ongoing Today I have been working on my Bridge windows I have chose to use Styrene for my window frames as I am painting them white as opposed to wood finish Since all my decks are woddern laminated planking and varnished I think I have enough wood finnish at it is?
Old 04-13-2018, 09:36 AM
Darron16

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The styrene strips ,and clear window glass / I can buy here is from evergreen scale models Woddinville USA Er darn expensive here in Spain nodoubt because its imported?
Old 04-13-2018, 09:44 AM
Darron16

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello shipmates
I have two Como drills 12v. 850 motors fitted to my Dauntless and Wondering about what batterys to use as he main power supply? The motors are direct to the props so I asume the current demand will be a tad on the high side? So thinking want to pack as much in regards to the power suppy as possible, but wondering about weight and battery size Anyone out there have any sugestions?
Old 04-13-2018, 10:02 AM
Darron16

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Another prop pic By the way found them at cornwall model boats UK

Last edited by Darron16; 04-13-2018 at 10:03 AM. Reason: trying to add pic
Old 04-13-2018, 10:05 AM
Darron16

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Opps upside down
Old 04-13-2018, 10:12 AM
Darron16

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

these are my motors I chose there big and powerfull but cheap . despite that hey are fan cooled I also water cooling them as well if they overheat Im going to give up Loll

Last edited by Darron16; 04-13-2018 at 10:17 AM. Reason: like to add pic
Old 04-13-2018, 10:19 AM
Darron16

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Como drills 850 motors
Old 04-13-2018, 11:27 PM
Darron16

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Work in progress ,

bits and pieces I have ready to add so far

A window frame made from Styrene Ive shoved inplace to give you an idea It is also glazed by the way
and where I am at today
Old 04-13-2018, 11:41 PM
Darron16

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Summer is near

Great looking lettering Darron. Any more pics? With those props and trim tabs, the boat must really fly across the water!

Hello dauntlessfan I have finally managed to get some pics on this site I hope you like? Summer is getting near so you have not got long to wait to get yours back in the water I have no chance of getting mine finnished this year so Im just going to have to wait fellow Captain.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:45 AM
Darron16

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Building to scale

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
I TOTALLY DISAGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THERE ARE RULES FOR EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now, the question is do you want to follow the rules? If you're building a scale model, you stay within the guidelines to make it scale. If you're building something that isn't to scale or a one off, KNOCK YOURSELF OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hello again. I think you perhaps miss understand me when I say there is no rules Perhaps I did not explain properly? I mean there no rules to the methods used to achieve your goal everyone seems to have different ideas when it comes to constructing something but achieving the same result a few years ago I built a model of Captain Cooks Endeavour. however looking at various model kits available I noticed none were the same the differences to vast for me to regard as acceptable. because of this I decided to scratch build a model of the Endeavour replica built by the Australian Heritage museum .old photos of the original Endeavour do not exist but I found a great deal of information .Drawings and photos of the replica Endeavour So this i what I chose as my topic my motive for building my Endeavour model is the original Ship was built in my home town of Whitby and My mum worked as a tour guide on board the replica . But my methods of building my model and materials I decided to choose are my own and my own do not really follow any Rules I go on if it looks right ? it usually is! I will add a few pics of my model and a photo of the Endeavour for your good self to have a look at Wonder what you think? and I I'm sure you will disagree Loll.

the full size replica of the Bark Endeavour

stern view

Bow
Old 04-14-2018, 08:51 PM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is one fantastic model. Just out of curiosity, does the full sized replica have an engine? We have a replica of Captain Cook's Lady Washington that is home ported on the southwest Washington coast. To make it meet US Coast Guard requirements, it had to be built with watertight bulkheads and an auxiliary engine, a diesel in this case
I have to agree with you about the "no rules on materials or techniques. The rules I was referring to are the ones related to judging criteria, requiring that a scale model needs to look as close to the original as possible, meaning detailing and color scheme
Old 04-15-2018, 05:08 AM
Darron16

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello Hydro junkie.
Many thanks for your kind words. as or the Replica of the Endeavour Yes it dose have an engine Maritime law says it has to. because it Carry's passengers and works as a charter vessel People pay to sail it! It also has to have life rafts The original Endeavour had six cannons on its main deck however the replica dose not have these as the space is needed for life rafts instead also the replicas steering is hydraulic the original of course used blocks and tackle Hence the replica has what reminds me of a little dog kennel over the tiller to hide the hydraulics where the original had a little bridge over the tiller so the officers could cross from one side to the other. other than that and complying to maritime laws They went to a great deal of trouble to build here to as near as possible to the original Different timber was used to build the replica so that she lives a long time the original only lived 40 years as 10 years it took of research before they actually started to build the replica However Despite the modern differences to the original ship I tended to trust the accuracy of the replica ship to the original than I could trust model kit makers who main motive is to make money. I cannot recall the cost of building the replica? but it was millions All funded by Charity Ooh Thanks for the pic of the lady Washington I must admit I did not know Captain Cook was related to this ship. I thought Cooks second ship was called the Resolution?I may be wrong I know quite a lot about Captain Cook but I can say with confidence I do not know everything.All the same the Lady Washing ton sure looks Pretty Just made me think about my next project once I finish my Dauntless .
Old 04-15-2018, 04:51 PM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You could be correct as well as I've found references to Cook being associated to the Lady Washington and others that don't mention him at all. Here's a link to the Wikipedia information but, as we all know, Wikipedia isn't a totally fact based source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Washington

Here's a little tidbit on the present ship from a credited site:
n March 7, 1989, the Lady Washington is launched into the Wishkah River in Aberdeen, as part of the 1989 Washington State Centennial celebration. The vessel is a full-scale replica of the original Lady Washington, which was built in the British Colony of Massachusetts in the 1750s. Within months, the new Lady Washington will conduct her first tour of Puget Sound and Columbia River ports.

The original

Lady Washington

was captained by Robert Gray (1755-1806), British explorer and eponym of Gray’s Harbor. In 1987, under the auspices the Gray’s Harbor Historical Seaport Authority, work began to create a full-scale replica of the ship that would also conform to current U. S. Coast Guard safety requirements. Thoroughly researched by historians and constructed by skilled shipwrights, the vessel was launched on March 7, 1989, during Washington’s centennial celebration.

The 112-foot, 99-ton ship soon began touring ports around the state, and was met with cheers in every city she visited. Thousands of maritime and history buffs would come to each waterfront to tour the vessel. The Lady Washingtoncan carry 48 passengers, and many booked trips aboard the sailing ship.

In 1991, the Lady Washington sailed on its first trip to Canada, and in 1993 the ship traveled to California, making its movie debut in Star Trek: Generations. The vessel has appeared in other motion pictures, most notably as the HMSInterceptor in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.

In 2007, the Washington legislature designated the Lady Washington as the official ship of the state of Washington. The Office of the Secretary of State for the State of Washington holds a mortgage on the vessel to secure the investment of the people of Washington.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:02 AM
Darron16

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello Dauntless fan I have been trying to add more pics for you to see and having trouble figuring out this site the pic you have allready seen was just blind luck I will ventually figure it out however thanks for your kind words I have a long way to go before my Dauntless is ready for its maiden voyage so I still do not know if it will fly along or not? Im using Como drills 850 motors to drive the props and connected directly to the props there a big motor so should give her a good speed However I do not know yet without reduction how many amps the motors will pull? if its to much i may have to gear them down So its all pie in the sky at the moment PS dig your winterised ticket loll .
Hello Dauntless fan Summer is here and nodoubt you have your Dauntless out of storage now? I wish you happy sailing I however am still in production and although My Dauntless looks like a boat now I am still a long way off been finnished here a few pics of my progress so far in cace you are interested? PS I hope you found the aditional prop picks you asked me for? RegardsD.

Still lots to do and that includes making a better stand the one in the photo is only temp

same stage just different angle
Old 08-15-2018, 05:13 AM
Darron16

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have been busy with fitting more detailing

Hope you are having a good summer? update photos of my Dauntless for your interest
Old 08-15-2018, 05:17 AM
Darron16

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

latest update I had a struggle finding red leather for the seating I finally found would you beleave my mum found a red leather mini skirt in a charity shop Loll did the job just perfect

I have been busy with fitting more detailing

Hope you are having a good summer? update photos of my Dauntless for your interest
Here is another updated pic