Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Rich404

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Here is the copy of an article I just found on Dauntless.
This article is called: “Yacht Aboard” from the Sarasota Herald written on February 2, 1954.
“Captain Fleming said he would hug the coast as far as Hatteras because we had aboard us just forward of the bridge and the quarters of the captain and passengers a 40-ton yacht belonging to Laurance Rockefeller, who ships this glorified soap-dish down every winter, accompanied by his skipper, Thomas Taxter and his wife Dorothea, a very pretty young woman, and Charles Karr, the engineer. The yacht had been towed down from Tarrytown in her own cradle and hoisted aboard by a 50 ton crane, at a cost of thousands. Shore side carpenters were bracing her with timbers and when they finally had her secure, we were two hours late getting into the steam.

We made San Juan Dec. 23 and I gave ungrudging credit to the longshoremen, who are. I understand, Joe Ryan’s subjects, as they tore away the lumber from Rockefeller’s toy and, and with extreme delicacy, hoisted her over the side and set her gently in the water where a tug waited to haul her somewhere. Rockefeller uses her to snatch fish by the face around Trinidad, but she barely has enough cruising radius to cross a bath tub. They would be unloading all night with winches going and men calling so we went ashore to the Caribe Hilton, a bizarre and very expensive resort hotel with beautiful swimming pools and a roulette layout.”
Old 04-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Rich404

Hey guys,

On page 46 I posted this:

Old 04-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Rich404

Hey gang,

As promised, enclosed is the article mentioned above and some pictures.

In addition to the article, note the captionswith the pictures.

Chime in all Dauntless-fans, what do ya think?

-Rich.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74136.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	1425778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84211.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	1425779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68301.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	1425780  
Old 04-29-2010, 05:55 PM
werdonmorris
My Feedback: (7)

Hey Rich

It has been a while, but I finally made it back to the scene.
I just bought a deep v boat fully assembled, which I normally build my own.
But this boat could not be passed up, for I only paid $300 for it without the transmitter.
But everything else is there like the heavy duty servos, kill switch, receiver, and the hybrid racing engine.
The boat if almost five feet long, fifteen inches wide, and ten inches high.
It is a Magnum Hybrid Enforcer Racing Boat, it even came with the stand to protect the hull, and it is bright yellow,
with black strip, and lettering.
It has the radio box, gas tank, water pump, the only thing I have to do is buy a good radio-I feel like a little kid, with a new toy.
But the only time I can run it, is if my son is with me. For my heart will not take the stain of lifting it, and carry it to the RC pond,
so I really thing about selling it to make some kind of profit, and finish putting the money into my build.

Butch
Old 04-29-2010, 07:26 PM
joe31hat
My Feedback: (5)

Glad to hear your back!!
Where do you 'float' your boats in the Detroit area? I live in Clawson and don't have a good place yet!

Joe "Looking for a pond' Urkshus
Old 04-29-2010, 08:12 PM
werdonmorris

Joe
I go to Belle Isle on the Canada side, just past the large fountain about 500 feet. It will say RC Model Boat pond. It is weed free, and no branches or large rocks. Just a soft sandy beach side to bring her back to shore.

Butch & thank you
Old 04-30-2010, 08:50 AM
Rich404

Hey Butch,

I'm glad tohaveyou back on!

Yournew boat sounds awesome!! Good luck with it & let us know how it runs. It sounds like it is going to be a good summer for you!

By chance, have you heard from Whitewolf lately?

-Rich.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:36 PM
werdonmorris

Rich

Whitewolf was staying in touch with me, and saying he was driving his son around. Then he stated he had to go back to the hospital, and fall off the grid around Jan. or Feb. I sent him many emails but all un-answered.

From what I am told with the special engine mods this big brute has, and other mods, it should do a easy 45 plus. With the mods I have already put into her, and the help of a off duty officer, we think it is in the 60mph range now. Any faster, and I will have to put jet wings on it!

Butch
Old 04-30-2010, 05:58 PM
Rich404

Hi Butch,

I also noticed that he fell off the gridbetweenChristmas&January. He is generally really good at staying in touch and replying to info. I hope that he is OK.

Your boat sounds like an animal! That thing is going to be a blast to run! Have fun and post pictures!!!

-Rich.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:08 PM
leebart121

Butch,

Your new boat sounds like a fun new toy.
Hope you get to go test it out soon.

Lee
Old 05-07-2010, 11:46 AM
werdonmorris

This boat cost new is $1,400, the person that had this boat was in great need of the money. So I offered him a chance after one month to buy it back, but he said no. And if I did not take advantage of the sell, he would sell it to someone else.

If has the best of electronics, steering system, cooling system, and a 30 cc two cycle engine attached to a true balanced clutch. I believe the HP'S to be around 4.6, it is just a rough starting line.
Will be doing more mod's as time permits.

One thing I did change, was the servo linkages from stock to ball bearing relief joints. I replaced the solid wire for the carb accelerator to the servo, with a stainless steel easy glide cable, with grease fittings installed in the tube, in the front, middle, and the rear.

As far as the water proof box for the electronics, instead of using tape to seal the lid down. I made a cover just slightly larger, and used the same adhesive the body shops use. Put apply the glue to the box lid area, and let it dry. Then apply the cover, and each time you need to remove the lid, you can. And just place the cover back on, and it reseals. The body shop uses the glue for there air sanders, or some knows them as D/A sanders. They can then apply a sanding disc, and once worn, they remove the old, and put on the new one, without the need for more glue. It will allow at least 25 replacements.

Will take pictures soon

Butch
Old 05-07-2010, 12:01 PM
werdonmorris

I hate for people to take advantage of there selves, I offered the gentleman a way out of making a bad mistake. But He was really not want to hear the chance to re-purchase his boat withing 30 days.
I even extended his chance, but he was determined to get cash now, and not retrieving the boat.
I may not go to church, but it does not mean I do not have a heart for the ill faith.

To all Captains, hope you have the best of both holidays-Mother's day, & Memorial day
Old 05-07-2010, 10:11 PM
leebart121

Butch,

You are very genuress in your dealings with others and it is very admerable. I hope you ave some great holidays as well.

Lee
Old 05-08-2010, 09:42 AM
werdonmorris

Thank you Lee, I was never given a chance when I was growing up, and now that I am a adult, I can give others the chance they deserve.
There is some exclusions, with certain issues with persons I have met. But all in our daily lives, I honestly believe we are only strangers once.

Butch
Old 05-08-2010, 09:52 AM
werdonmorris

I tried the boat out this week, and it is extremely radical when it comes to get up and go. It handled 12 inch waves with hardly any slowing down.
When it comes to a high speed turn, it takes it with a lot of grace. when I first punched the throttle, It looked like the boat was going to jump out of the water.
I priced the boat at several hobby shops, and they all sold around $1,200 to $1,400, and I only paid $300.00. And this is with the radio setup, and ready to play on the
water.

Being a captain is radical, But I still love my luxury yacht I am building, with some grace, and speed to boot.

Butch
Old 05-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Rich404

Hi Butch,
You got a great deal & I give you credit for doing the right thing by offering this guy a one month buy back. Now the boat is yours and the price was certainly right. Enjoy it! Well deserved! Squeeze the throttle once for me!
The other day I began charging and balancing the LIPO for my 1/8 scale racing boat. I am going to give it the first run of the season this coming weekend.
Hi Captains,
Speaking of fast boats, after doing all the calculations on weight & such on Dauntless, It is going to come in around 27 LBS once she is slipped into water. I invested in Astroflight 25’s for the boat, but the specs on the motors say that they can push up to 10 pounds per motor. So I am thinking about using 4 of those motors. I would run 2 motors per shaft and still use the brass 2” props to keep the load down. This set up should get the 27LB boat up on plane with no problems being it will be rated for 40 LBS.
The hard part seems to be finding another pair of these motors. I bought them when they were in the height of their popularity a few years ago but they have since been discontinued along with the rest of Astro’s brushed line up. I have been scouring the net without any luck and even posted a wanted ad on RCU that has since expired. I have always liked the quality of the brushed 25’s so I would still want to use them if possible even if they are considered “old” technology.
Does anyone know where I can find a good pair of brushed Astroflight 25’s Super Ferrite Marine motors in good condition? The model number was 425.
All suggestions & leads are welcome. Thanks!
-Rich.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:08 PM
joe31hat

Hi Rich,

I have a extra pair. I'm kind of jammed this week but when I get a chance I'll dig them out.

hang in there I won't forget.

Joe
Old 05-25-2010, 09:59 AM
Rich404

HeyJoe,

Awesome!! Very cool, I really appreciate it!!!! When you are ready shoot me a PM. Many thanks!!

Hey captains,,

Recently my company moved buildings so my commute got changed around. I have to go through Tarrytown/White Plains to connect to the highway to get me home. I was in a rush and I did not have my GPS with me (still learning the area) when I missed my exit. I now needed to get offthe highway to turn around. I got off the first exit I could find and guess what the sign read: Taxter Road. I was blown away when I saw this. What is the chances of that??And in all places, Tarrytown NY!!!!! Where the captain was (or is) a life long resident. So, Dauntless's captain has a street named after him over there...Bizarre. The street name was likely influenced by Rockefeller himself.

You can't make this stuff up....

-Rich.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Rich404

Hi captains,
I am currently setting up a permanent boat shop for Dauntless. Over the past few years, I would occasionally move Dauntless from room to room as my wife claimed them. The last shipyard was a vacant bedroom that is now occupied by my newborn son. I have a feeling that he will also become a Dauntless -fan as well. When he is big enough to run model boats on his own, I may let him skipper Dauntless once in a while (Under a very watchful eye).
-Rich.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:01 PM
12skipper

Hello Rich,
Only you could get lost and find something related to "Dauntless". Congradulations to you and your wife on the new SON!!

Chuck
Old 05-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Rich404

Hi Chuck,

LOL..I think it is wild how clues of Dauntless turn up around me..I really enjoy it though!

Thank you for the warm wishes. This is a very new exciting chapter in our lives!

-Rich.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:55 PM
joe31hat

Rich contact me at [email protected]
Old 05-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Rich404

Hi Joe,

Done! I sent you an e-mail from "Atlanticswell".

Thanks again!

-Rich.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:41 PM
flyboy4422

Hey Dauntless Captns,Im havin trouble gettin the spruce to bend around the front of the keel.Im going to try to soak the wood then bend it,its kinda discouraging to run into building problems.Ive been so busy gettin ready for Rose Festival that my building has gone by the wayside.Im part of the Tigard festival of Balloons this year and I only have a few weeks to get all the plans together,pretty rough job.I wished I had more time to work on my models.I have purchased a enterprise for $150 that had never seen water but was poorly finished,Im workin on that too.Needs the decks redone and side panels rebuilt,there was no real filler used in the finish work so you can only imagine what was needed to get the decks done.I kinda multi task when building,a little here and little there when glue drying or paint drying.My garage looks like a total dust mess right now but as the weather gets better it will change.Good luck on you projects! Keepem floatin
Old 05-29-2010, 08:51 PM
12skipper

Hello Flyboy,
Have you looked back near the begining of this forum to see how we did this step in construction. If you don't find what you are looking for, just post some photos of your problem area. I can't remember having to bend the spruce pieces. Let us know, please.

Chuck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.