Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Old 10-16-2010, 09:37 AM
werdonmorris
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Rich

From what I have seen lately from your build, one can very well state your build is one that others can build from. Museum quality work is a rare find, and the attention to detail, is a fetish of my own heart that I see time after time with your boat.
Your project is very easy on the eye's, for one to study, and learn off your build site. Your build site has set the true to detail standards for others to follow, and correct there plans with.
I honor you sir, and it would be to your advantage to have a glass show case made, to preserve your boat and others to see without touching.
Later today, after taking a nap-I will take pictures of the second place National Regional Veterans Contest canoe I built from scratch. I built it with a home made jig, and planked the entire canoe from 75 different strips of wood, the oars are made from five different strips of wood. Then the whole canoe was sanded to shape, and cleared 7 times, with wet sanding in between each coat.
The first place winner was a home made tow truck I made from spare parts, and the lighting all works. The canoe took me four solid months to build, with 20 hours per week. The truck took me a year to build, for I had to make molds, and cast the parts, then solder together.

Butch-HEALING ONE DAY AT A TIME !
Old 10-16-2010, 08:18 PM
leebart121

Butch,

Keep on healing and letting us know how you are doing. I would love to see the photos of the Canoe and Tow Truck as well. Please share them with us. I enjoy seeing the marviless works of art and great displays of endless talent that you and Rich so freely share with us.

Lee
Old 10-17-2010, 06:19 PM
rblubaugh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rich,

In brief, because I wanted something to run, I purchased a Aquacraft Atlantic Tug, which will be modified sometime in the future to look "unique" and more realistic.

Because I like to build, there are three boats under construction. I've been working on the Dumas 1954 Chris-Craft Commander Express Cruiser the longest, about two and one half years, going very slowly and modifying the kit by putting a canopy on the bridge rather than leaving it a flying bridge. That was an option offered by Chris Craft which I thought looked better. The decks are all planked with mahogany and the hull is ready for fiber-glassing, just need time to tackle that job.

The other two boats are Midwest models. First is the Boothbay Lobster boat which I started in early March this year thinking it would be an easy build I could easily get finished and onto the pond by mid summer. Well. . . best laid plans of mice and men, etc..

The third boat is the Midwest Liberty Tug I bought, partially finished, off eBay. Unfortunately (for me) it was badly misrepresented on the sale page BUT since I am a fairly decent (past noob) modeler, with the help of other modeler friends, I was able to construct the missing parts plans(?) so now I am at the stage where I need to 'cut out' these parts and assemble them in accordance with the assembly instructions.

So, from time to time, I work a little on one or the other of these boats. Now that Fall and Winter are upon us, at least here in Indiana, there is a distinct possibility of getting a lot of the assembly done over the next several months (I hope).

That's it, in a nut shell.

I have enjoyed your work and admit it is far beyond my ability/skill level, but a true beauty to look at each time I come to the site to see how you are doing. It will be great to see the finished product of your labor of love.

Bob
Old 10-17-2010, 06:25 PM
rblubaugh

Butch,

I see you are online. Happy you are feeling better today. I'm also looking forward to seeing your Canoe and Tow Truck.

Bob
Old 10-17-2010, 06:29 PM
werdonmorris

Captains

Sorry for the delay of the pictures, but will get to it Monday morning. Been trying to get use to a new medicine that makes me woosie.

Butch
Old 10-17-2010, 06:33 PM
rblubaugh

Butch,

Maybe even Tuesday or Wednesday, don't rush it. Better to get well.

Bob
Old 10-17-2010, 08:36 PM
dauntlessfan

Butch - working on you Dauntless will be great healing therapy!

Here's the bridge picture that Rich provided, flipped to its intended exposure:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41811.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1518598  
Old 10-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Rich404

Hi Lee,

Why not set up a build log with your friend? It’s a cool way to document your progresses as the boats progress. It would be fun to have both of you drop progress reports on the boats in various stages. You’ll notice that it is cool to look back on them once their complete.
Hi Bob,
You have some interesting builds going on. The Chris Craft Commander is a great looking boat when it’s done. The Boothbay lobster boat is another great subject. I’ve never built a Midwest boat but have heard that they come together quite nicely. I also agree that the Atlantic tug has a nice platform for mods.
Hi Butch,
As always, thanks for the kind words. I agree with the rest of the guys, you can post your tow truck and canoe here if you like. I remember seeing them a while back and the details are superb. This reminds me; later on I will have to build the life raft and lifeboat for Dauntless. The raft will be scratch built and the lifeboat will be assembled. Eventually I’m going to research the full sized lifeboat and scratch build one as well. If I can do half as good of a job on the lifeboat as you did on the canoe, I’ll be more than happy!
Hi Dauntlessfan,
Thanks for the picture! Good looking out!
Hi captains,
Over the past few days some work was done to Dauntless.
· A final coat of white was applied to the exterior cabins. This was done to finalize the separating line between the white and grey.
· The bridge deck walls: port, starboard and aft were painted white as well. The lower section of the inner bridge shelter and the forward facing wall, and gates were left grey.
· The wood trim for the bridge was made up. This trim goes from port around the back wall to starboard. The wood trim was painted sea grey, lightly sanded with 600 grit sandpaper and re-coated
· The mushroom vents over the forecastle were painted sea grey
· The direction finder tube on starboard was also painted sea grey.
Tonight the bridge shelter and forward wall will be given a final coat of gull grey. Afterwards, the bridge deck trim will be installed. I will also finalize the direction finder loop and the crew hatch. The direction finder will be painted in sea grey and candy apple red while the crew hatch will be done in sea grey.
Next, final light grey touch ups will be done only in certain places where the white meets and the exterior paint will be done. Then, I will focus on installations such as windows, ceilings and walls. When the ceilings go in it will mark the beginning of the electrical work.

Afterwards,i'm going to get geared up to install all of the exterior trim. I have the half round trim which will mostly be 3/16" basswood The top of the shelter seperating the white from grey will be a really thinsquare basswood strip .I'm looking to get the stain color matched to the trim on the full sized boat. This trim is going to seperate the white from the grey and give the exterior it's distinct look. The inside of the shelter and most other trim willbe solid mahogany and won't need stain, just clear coat..

-Rich.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:18 PM
12skipper

Hi Rich,
I was looking back at the interior views from several years ago and I noticed recessed lighting in the cabins. Are you going to install the wiring before the ceilings go in?
Sailing has not produced high scores for me this season because of my lack of mobility IE: I can't tweek the sail tuning between races as in the past. Sometimes I will ask someone to make adjustments for me, but is not the same as doing it yourself.I was able to win three races two weeks ago but still came in second over all.
Your "Dauntless is looking GREAT.

Chuck
Old 10-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Rich404

Hi Chuck,

Yes, the wiring is going in before the ceiling goes up. There will be one light in each square in the ceiling. Each square will have a notch cut out so the light will slip into place. Thenthe inside of the ceilingwill be covered in foil & taped. On the finished side, there will be a clear plexi square on the ceiling where the light is and a frame going around it. It will be set up so that the light does not come into contact with the plexiglass.

For example, over the forecastle, the wiring from each light has a positive and negative wire. All the pos & all the neg's will merge into a thicker pair of positive and negative wires. The 2 wires will come to the bulkhead where it will come into contact with 2 springs pos & neg when the cabins are in place . The two springs are on the hull side connected to wires which will run down the forward port wall in the main cabin, through the floor, and make its way to the engineroom. (You will not see the wires from the main cabin because I made up finishing walls that simply get glued over the bulkhead walls. They were made up a couple of years ago) There will be light switches on the wall in the engineroom dedicated to different banks of lights. The switches will have wires running to the power distribution panel to the correct voltage, IE: 3W. I'm still deciding where I want the power distribution panel to go. The two choices are either under the main cabin floor or under the cockpit floor all the way aft.

The lighting banks will be as followed: Forecastle, main cabin, owner's cabin, navigation and exterior. Each bank will have several lights.

It's going to be cool to finally get to that part.

-Rich.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:15 PM
leebart121

Rich,

I have put together a build log but not much on it as I have not got the boat all cut out as off yet. waiting on my friends son to cut it all out in his wood shop class with him and his dads boat.
I have posted the motors I have and the parts that I have recived from our friend Butch. I have also made a few things for the trailer that I plan on building once it is done.
here is the link to my thread.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_91...tm.htm#9162708

Lee
Old 10-21-2010, 08:24 PM
leebart121

on this thread of mine I show the leaf springs and the hitch and trim tabs for the boat. The jeep in the thread that I am fixing turned out great and I made a drop down hitch for it so that my buddy can back his boat right into the water for some fun
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_94...tm.htm#9485659
and on page 4 of this thread are the diagrams and photos of my hitch and trailer toung as well as the trailer jacks.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_57...tm.htm#9795621
Old 10-22-2010, 12:28 AM
dauntlessfan

A bit off topic but nice Jeep Lee. I found a New Bright Jeep just like that at a thrift store a while back, removed the stickers and put the body on a Traxxas Stampede, and it would wheelie all the way down the street, or even in tall grass. Sold it on on FleaBay, unfortunately [].
Old 10-22-2010, 02:32 AM
leebart121

Dauntlessfan,

that jeep belongs to my buddies son. I just did some repairs to it and a few body mods.

Rich,

Looks like you have quite the little fleet going on. Have you done any work on the Ocean Liner??

Lee
Old 10-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Rich404

Hi Lee,
I agree that is a cool Jeep. That drive that Butch hooked you up with is awesome! When you resume the build I will be sure to check it out.
Here’s a summary of what was and what will be done to Matsonia:
I removed the motors, cleaned the commutators and the motor case. Afterwards I custom ordered new belts for the motors, made up felt motor mounts and re-installed the motors. I went over every part of the electrical to see how the owner set it up and I was able to start the ship. She purrs like a kitten at full throttle with no vibration or clanky noises.
I set up a float tank for her to check out her seaworthiness. This was the same tank that I floated Dauntless a page or 2 ago on this site. (The tank was actually made for the ship but Dauntless could easily float in it.) Matsonia’s hull sat up very high on the water because it needed ballast. The former owner left clues on how much weight needs to go in certain spaces to fill the ships ballast requirements so I will follow suit. When I floated her, I could not put the cabins on due to the lack of ballast. She listed and wanted to roll over with the cabins in place so the ballasting is imperative. I did find that she had 3 small leaks below that waterline that need to be addressed.
I began removing the exterior stain wood decks. It was added to simulate planking on decks. It was an old fashioned ugly wood laminate that they used to use on cabin cruisers in the late 50’s early 60’s. It was cracked and looked ugly. Fortunately I was able to use a razor to get it up and clean the decks. Under the laminate were at least 1/8” wood sheets that made up the subfloor structure. I’m going to wood plank over the subfloor with the type of planks that I use to make ceilings on Dauntless. .
The ship is going to get the following treatment after Dauntless is finished:
· Sanding and all new paint
· Sealing the bottom to eliminate leaks
· Planked wood decks
· Full railings and ladders
· New lifeboats and accessories.
· Exterior details will mirror the full sized ship including mast rigging, repair swimming pool and detail courtyards.
· Lighting will be properly hooked up with switches
When I was bidding on the ship there were many of us talking about it on another site. Once I won it, I posted the pictures and all the details on that ship there. Once I begin the restoration it is going to be continued there. Dauntless is my priority so I’m going to start the ship once Dauntless is complete and on display. For all I know that may take another year of 2 before I start but she’ll have her day in the spotlight.
Here is a link to the cruise ship Matsonia. That is where the restoration will happen. Afterwards, I will post her on this site only as a discussion. Dauntless will later be posted on that site too but only as a discussion after she's done. It's good to mix it up between sites but keep the build log on one site.

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php
Old 10-22-2010, 10:37 AM
werdonmorris

Rich

That is one nice ship, and will give you the challenge you been looking for.
I have 4 smaller boats, and some larger ships to re-vamp as well, that is in the future.

I have been feeling much better, so I drilled the holes required for the wiring of the lighting
for the first cabin. I have to design a electrical feed block for the distribution block.
I want to do more on the build, but I listen to my body-so it will be a slow go. But it is helping me
get back up and healthy.

Butch
Old 10-22-2010, 01:08 PM
cheesewizz69

Figured I let you Dauntless guys know that there is a NIB Dauntless for sale on Ebay for $150 and free shipping.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:48 PM
Rich404

Hi Captains,

Over the last few days the direction finder was painted candy apple red and greyand thetrim was made up for the bridgedeck. Last night they were installed and today the trim near the gates were trimmed and shaped. Next, they need to be touched up where they were shaped.

On the full sized Dauntless thetrim looked like this.They were very simple greywood planks and the trim did not look fancy at all in this area.
Here are those pictures.

-Rich.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16960.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	1521772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20371.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	1521773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44249.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1521774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25651.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1521775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66050.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1521776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66525.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1521777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51885.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1521778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96036.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1521779  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91263.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	1521780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32716.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1521781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68074.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1521782  
Old 10-23-2010, 11:05 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks awesome!
Old 10-24-2010, 02:38 PM
werdonmorris

Lee & Rich

The upload finally took, and now the pictures of the canoe is on my build site.

Butch
Old 10-25-2010, 11:00 AM
Rich404

Thanks Tom!

-Rich.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Rich404

Hi captains,

I am currently in St. Croix for a family trip. I visited the Salt River where Dauntless was for many years. I'm going to see if a former owner can tell me where the hull is (or what's left of it) so I can possibly check it out.... Wow it's so humid here...

-Rich.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:12 PM
flyboy4422

Hey Rich and fellow boaters,I was involved with the great pupkin regatta that was posted on the 23rd of October in the Dock Talk section.We were pushing around 1,000lb pumkins with our boats in the tualatin commons pond.I was running my proboat runabout and my Lindberg PT 109 all day.Last weekend I was test running my Hydro and the speed controller blew up on start up,luckily the boat was in a shallow part of the pond so I could get to it before it burned.I was running a proboat 3630-1500 brushless with 2- 7.4 lipos for a total of 14.8v and a 60a speed control.It had run a couple of times before that with no problems with speeds reaching 50mph with a Dumas Older Atlas Vanlines hydro.Well it looks like its time to clear the bench and get back to work on the Dauntless while I lick my financial wounds to get another controller for the hydro.I have been gathering up parts for the cabin and upper decks while waiting for better weather to float my fleet.Im thinking of getting a washer pump motor for engine cooling that works all the time and order some lighting for the interior of the cabins.Cant wait to get goin again
Old 11-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Rich404

Hi Flyboy,
So you got to go to the “Great Pumpkin” regatta, that’s cool! I saw pictures that Umi posted a couple of years ago on that regatta & it looked like fun. She was pushing pumpkins with one of her tug boats. If you have pictures from that day post them on this site. They are always fun to see.
I just got back from St. Croix & Florida. I had a great time over there. While there, we visited the Salt River Marina where Dauntless was docked and also near where she was abandoned after hurricane Hugo. I was able to GPS the coordinates to the exact spot where she was so for me that was cool to stand there. I took a few pebbles from that site that will be stowed aboard my model.
To Dauntlessfan & Chuck: This was also the same spot where we have those cool detailed photos. In one of the pictures that we have, there are a couple of pictures when she was floated again. One was the first half and the second photo was the second half of her taken at a dock. She was sitting next to a palm tree in one of those photos. Those pics were taken at the Salt River Marina.
The funny thing is that I happened to be staying 10 minutes away from that Marina. We did a night time kayak excursion from the marina into the bay. About 2 minutes away from where Dauntless was abandoned is a bay full of bioluminescence. It was one of the most amazing aquatic moments that I had ever experienced. I had no idea that Dauntless sat in such a magical place.
Now that I am home some work was done on Dauntless. The wood boxes were glued in the planked ceiling where there will be lights inside the trunk cabin. There are two lights in the stateroom, one in the corridor, one in the head and another in the pantry. All I have to do now is cut out the planks and frame the ceiling side.
Also, the sea grey wood trim was added to the aft cockpit. I did not emphasize them in these set of pictures but they can be seen.

The half funnels were also added behind the aft port and starboard windows. I made them up and painted them a long time ago so this was just a simple installation.
Finally, I began working on the sliding hatch assembly. The foundation is 1/8” wood strips. The wood strips has 3 half round cut outs on each side for water drainage if water happens to splash over the hatch rails. The foundation should keep water from leaking down into the corridor because there were cross members installed near the openings. Above the foundation sits 2 metal strips where the bottom portion of the hatch gets inserted so that they will slide. The hatches are 1/8” thick solid mahogany and they were stained red mahogany. The red mahogany sliders will be seen from the corridor.
The next steps will be the following:
2 very thin aluminum rails about 1/8” wide will be glued on top of the metal rails. They will not be painted. They will be there so that it looks as if the hatch rides over it. Then, thin wood planks will be glued on top of the mahogany sliders. The planks are so that the hatch height will be raised to sit on the aluminum top rail. Then, aluminum covers will be cut the same length and width of the mahogany slider and will be epoxied onto the sliders and painted grey. This will be the part of the slider that will be seen externally. Finally, there will be stain wood handle on each hatch along with stain mahogany stoppers will be installed on the bottom of each hatch. The stoppers will have a thin strip of magnet on it so that it can stick to the doors when they are installed. The thin magnets will help keep the doors from swinging open when the boat is moving. The doors will open out just like on full sized vessels.

Before I forget to mention, In the 4th picture on top of the cabin is a piece of mahogany. That is going to be the door and will be painted white. I made one in the past but it will be too short so this is a replacement. ..more to come on the doors later.

-Rich.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:27 AM
Rich404

Hi captains,

Update: The sliding hatches are now permenently installed and they slide perfectly without being loose.

The door going to the aft deck is also made up. I gave it one coat of paint so it needs another coat. The hinge assembly was also installed on the door. Once the door is painted, it can be installed and then mahogany trim will follow.

While The paint was drying, I went inside the main cabin and did a little work. In past pictures you could see a gap between where the cabin meetstop meets the port and strarboard bulkheads on the hull side. This is also where the door leads to the forecastle. I rolled up some mighty putty and fixed it along the top of the 2 bulkheads. Then I put plastic wrap on the putty so that it would not adhere to the cabin above. Then I put the cabin top on and put my hand inside the cabin and pressed the top down onto the putty until it sat naturally. After the putty dried the plastic wrap was removed. Now I will use a dremel to remove some of the excess putty and sand smooth. Then touch ups will follow. The end result is that there will be no gaps where the cabin tops meet the hull side of the yacht. Mahogany trim will eventually go over the putty.

It's late now so now it's off to bed. G'night.

-Rich.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.