Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Old 01-31-2012, 07:01 AM
rblubaugh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Bill,

I really like the work you do on your boats.  Nice attention to detail and the craftsmanship is excellent.

Bob
Old 01-31-2012, 07:09 AM
rblubaugh

Bill,

I really like the work you do on your boats.  Nice attention to detail and the craftsmanship is excellent.

Rich,  You are in a league by yourself,  I'm always amazed by what you are doing and the things you attempt to do.  Just because I'm silent for the most part doesn't mean I'm not watching and appreciating your craftsmanship.

All of the Dauntless Captains make me strive for excellence in what little modeling time I have.  Hopefully I can get my Dauntless whipped into shape one day, following your lead.

A humble hobbist,

Bob
Old 01-31-2012, 07:33 AM
werdonmorris
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ATTENTION RICH 404:

It has been a very long time since I been on here, or worked on my model.
My mind has been calculating much needed data, of any and all un-foreseen incidents that may
arise in the near future of my water craft performance.
This is why I bought a 22.5 foot Seville Searay boat and new EZ-Loader Trailer. Plus I just bought a 14.5 foot
aluminumn, and fiberglass fishing boat, with new trailer.
Now this summer, I can fish and work on the tons of data for my boat project, and come to a final conclusion.
both boats have Merc Cruiser engines. The bigger with a 4.0 staight 4 cyl out drive unit from Merc. And the other,
with outboard performance edition engine and drive prop.
The smaller I sent out to the marina, and had it re-sealed, and all new paint. I upgraded the wiring for the troller motor, lighting, emergency gas run off, bilge pump.
I know I over did it on safety issues, but I need to have peace of mind while on the water. Both boats total cost me $4,200, with a investment of another $2,700.
What I used to say, and always will. IT IS THE NAVY'S WAY ! I always had two back up plans, for once we was dropped off to do a mission.
We only had to rely upon the six of us, and several times we had to miss the LZ for one reason or another.
All the wood of my project is sealed water tight in marine spar, inside and out. The same will go for the paint as well, as well as the polished brass in clear epoxy.
Have a excellent day, for it is 54 degrees here, and no snow what so ever in Detroit, Mich.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:57 AM
Sound Sailor

Thanks for that, Bob. Have you done any work on your Dauntless lately?

Here is the ship to shore antenna Icobbled togetheryesterday. The mounts are as I remember from my boat, back in the day, when the mast was not a fold down .(back in the days beforeVHS service and 2182 was the distress freq) I used a piece of brass to simulate the coax connection.
Bill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78332.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1721526  
Old 01-31-2012, 10:44 AM
dauntlessfan

Very nice work Bill, I'm impressed! Here's a useful image of the Dauntless radar tower for reference.

Name:	Db86402.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	1721556  
Old 01-31-2012, 11:45 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Wow, that thing looks hammered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I take it that shot was taken in the "Post Rockerfeller" era
What I see is the dish speed can be controlled by a gear set inside the motor housing and the motor mounted inside the cabin with a drive shaft running up to the motor housing inside the forward leg of the mast. The only real change needed would be a slight tweek to the rear of the housing to make the room needed.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:26 PM
Sound Sailor

Thanks DF. I 'vegot it "close enough for government work" as they say. I think that box halfway up the mast may be the device to remotely sound the bell.

Bill
Old 01-31-2012, 12:35 PM
Rich404

Hi Dauntlessfan,
Thanks for posting this photo of the radar!
Hi Bill,
You are the man!!! The radar is looking awesome!!! The craftsmanship of your work definitely shows and thanks for documenting your work for us to see!
Perhaps this photo will help you put some finishing touches on your radar. It shows a cross section on the top of the mast where a wire on each side goes up and supports the antenna behind the rotating radar.
If you look about halfway up the mast here was the small box on the mast painted silver that had the rope attachment for the bell. The rope is wrapped around a support but it looks like it was torn away from the bell that has some of the rope evident.
Not seen in this picture but the antenna behind the radar also had a smaller looking antenna coming off the back that was actually an anemometer. In some pictures the anemometer was not seen but the base was always there..
The ship to shore antenna also looks sweet! It also looks like the one on Dauntless that I may use for the receiver wire. Is this what you are using for your wire too? The mounts are also exactly as they appear on the full sized Dauntless..Well done!
Here is a picture that shows both the anemometer and the ship to shore antenna.
Would you happen to know which antenna would have been used for the radio phone?
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the compliments. I also have very little time for the building aspect of this hobby so I can definitely relate to you there. This is a very challenging hobby if you don’t have the time for it. I steal time from other things each week just to keep on this boat. I have concluded that this will be my last major boat building project until I retire. At some point I’m going to thin the herd and sell off the rest of my un-built fleet. I also have a large rare ship in need of a restoration that I may eventually sell because I don’t have the time and energy that it requires. No worries though, I won’t stop until Dauntless is built exactly as planned. Thank goodness I chose to build a boat that I am so passionate about.
Hi Hydro-Junkie,
Yep the radar and the rest of the yacht was dogged here. The picture was taken after a major fire ripped though the yacht. This was post-Rockefeller era. It was here when the stop-watch began ticking against her.

Hi Butch,

Congrats on your large "RTR' boats! I'm sure they are lots of fun to play with! I had a feeling that your model was going to be the gateway to bigger toys!
-Rich.

Name:	Jg14341.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1721602  
Old 01-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Rich404

ORIGINAL: rblubaugh

All of the Dauntless Captains make me strive for excellence in what little modeling time I have. Hopefully I can get my Dauntless whipped into shape one day, following your lead.
Hi Bob, When the day comes for you to tackle your Dauntless it will be spectacular! The path is still being blazed but the day will come when you and others can use the info here as a template to finish your own projects. My hope for the future is that anyone who has the will, will have the chance to build an accurate or close to accurate Dauntless..

-Rich.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:02 PM
Rich404

ORIGINAL: Sound Sailor

Thanks DF. I 'vegot it "close enough for government work" as they say. I think that box halfway up the mast may be the device to remotely sound the bell.

Bill
Hi Bill, This is wayy better than GuBment work! Yes, I think the device halfway up the mast is indeed the thing used ot sound the bell. Notehow the rope is torn on the end where it comes from the box side and when you look at the bell you can see the other half where the rope was torn away. We can see that the rope once went from the box on the mast to the bell.

-Rich.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:16 PM
Sound Sailor

Hi Rich, I really don't know much about other antennas. WhenI was boating the Ship to Shore (also sometimes referred to as radio-telephone) operated at 2 mhz and used a very long antenna. The antenna you see is a long wire coiled around a fiberglass tube. On a boat like Dauntless the physical antenna woud be pretty high but on smaller boats the length would necessarily be less. Some interesting (I hope) things about he service were that the transcievers were crystal controlled and could be in various watt outputs and that created havoc on coastal waters and led to the demise of the system. You installed crystals for 2182 (International distress frequency), a couple of ship to ship frequencies and possibly some port freqs. Initially the sets were big, heavy tube sets requiring a heavy power supply. Towards the late stages transistorized sets became available allowing smaller boats to have one. I even built a Heathkit one. These sets would be able to call a good distance (about a mile per watt). That created the problem. Realistically 25 watts were enough for coastal boaters. If you needed help, lets sayon LISound,you didn't need someone 100 miles away. Large pleasure boats seemed to alwaysbuy the biggest wattage because they could afford them. By law you monitored and made initial contact with others on 2182 then switched to a ship to ship channel for your conversation. Distress calls were made by saying "Mayday" three times and other urgent calls by saying "Security" three times. The guys with the big rigs calling their buddies would overpower the smaller boats that would be trying to get a distress call out and that presented many problems.
My first set was 25 watts but when I was patrolling under Coast Guard orders I had trouble getting through the clutter to the station at Eatons Neck 6 miles away and I had to get a 65 watt set. This system was replaced by VHF sets which had a range of only about 6 miles or so. Then small boaters started using CB but that was not monitored for distress calls by the CG.

Well I really rambled but my memory about this got jogged. I apologize but I hope it was either entertaining ot informative.

Bill
Old 01-31-2012, 04:16 PM
dauntlessfan

Hey Bill, I think you should show us more pictures of your model Dauntless! From the parts I've seen so far it's one heckuva nice boat.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:18 PM
Rich404

Hi Bill,

I think your post was both interesting and informative. Things such as the radio telephone are a thing of the past much like the Dauntless. A story such as the one you told may not sound interesting to you because you lived it but I find it interesting because it helps me understand the life and times of Dauntless (and her components). I have a picture of Dauntless's(STS) radio telephone and i'm going to model it. One day I (or even others here) may have to explain what the phone on the chart desk is and thanks to you wecan better explain it.

-Rich.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:00 AM
Sound Sailor

DF, my Dauntless is not very special and not as nicely done as yours and Rich's. No seat cushions etc but she is a lot better than when I got her. If you recall I bought her already built and with very little details and some thing to be desired as to quality of the initial build. I have to large a fleet I spent money on to spend more on a total makeover so that is why I try to make her "semi" scale rather than go for exact detail. At my age it is hard to do more precise worksince for some reason my hands don't always do what my head is telling them.

Rich , Thats me you describe "a thing of the past" at 79. I try to add things logically asI remember from my experiance as a boater from an early age to about 1970. That may or may not be as on the real boat such as my handrails on the cabin roof. I just did what I thought was right for the antenna and got lucky except it should have been a little more forward. As I was making it I remembered there was chrome fittings where the sections joined and at the base and then thought why not add the coax. i am not using an outside antenna since I am using a 2.4 with a short wire. Hasn't been a problem on my other boats. Seems to work as long as it is above the waterline.

BTW are you going to the WRAM show in the Meadowlands?

Bill
Old 02-01-2012, 05:43 AM
rblubaugh

Bill,

The only thing I've done with my Dauntless is buy a 12V  SLA battery and change the ESC to one that will handle a 12 v system.  I also need to put in better motor mounts, velcro just doesn't hack it! 

Internally it needs to be re-wired and a needs to be fused.  Externally I need to sand down the unfinished epoxy , probably add at least one more coat (you can still see. the fiberglass weave in many - large -  areas).

I need to finish up the boat I'm working on before I tackle this one.

Bob
Old 02-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Rich404

Hi Bill,
We are all in the present my friend. Technology however isn’t as lucky because it becomes obsolete over a short period of time to make way for new products. The ship to shore is a good example of that. Your examples however does explain how the device worked during a particular point of time while explaining the flaws that came along with it.
I’m unsure if I am going to make it to the WRAM show because it happens when I’m getting geared up for busy season at work which usually trickles into the weekends starting in mid February. What I will do is play it by ear and see if it is feasible when it gets closer to the date. I have never been to the WRAM show.
I am joining the Empire State Model Mariners club on Friday and am sure they will be there. Are you planning on going to the show?
Lucky you! I think that having the 2.4 is the way to go and I don’t foresee there being range issues. My receiver on the other hand needs an antenna for good distance.
You have an awesome boat man!! I thought it was a nice looking boat when you first got it. The work done thus far has enhanced it very nicely.
-Rich.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Sound Sailor

Rich, hopefully I will make the WRAm show. MACK is supposed to be there also. If you are going maybe we can meet up.
I also am going to the NY Toy Show for the industry at the Javits Center. My SIL has a diecast sales business so I am going as part of that..

I wouldn't say my Dauntless is bad but some of the original workmanship could have been better. I'll leave it at that.

Bill
Old 02-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Rich404

ORIGINAL: Sound Sailor

Rich, hopefully I will make the WRAm show. MACK is supposed to be there also. If you are going maybe we can meet up.
I also am going to the NY Toy Show for the industry at the Javits Center. My SIL has a diecast sales business so I am going as part of that..

Bill
Hi Bill, If I can make it to the show then I would shoot for Sunday, February 26th. The owner of MACK, Rich is a great guy to talk to on the phone so It would be cool to finally meet him too. As it gets closer to the date I will keep you posted and if it works out I would like to meet up with you.'

http://www.wram.org/show_details.html

-Rich.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:28 AM
dauntlessfan

Just in case MACK is giving out free samples at the show... I need some struts, couplers, and prop nuts... .
Old 02-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Rich404

Hi D/F Will do!

Speaking of buying and selling my old 2" props are now on e-bay. These props were put in water only once when Itested the unfinished Dauntless hull on a pond back in the 90's.

I don't know if anyone can use them for other projects but here is one of the props.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250984353948...84.m1555.l2649

-Rich.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Rich404

The Dumas Dinghy for Dauntless is something that has been coming to mind because I’m eventually going to get to it. Dauntless’s former owner Don informed me that Dauntless had a Grumman dinghy and lifeboat. I remember him mentioning that it was 'agreat dinghy’. The Dumas Dinghy differs from the actual one because it has a sharp appearance and the Dumas dinghy is not as long as the actual one in scale because itshould have beenthe length of the roof so they fell a bit short.. I know that I shouldn’t be at this point but..... I’m a little surprised that Dumas did not use plans from Grumman to mold the small boat. I know, I know…

The dinghy also came equipped with a Johnson outboard motor.
Here are a couple pics of what the boat would have looked like.
-Rich.

Name:	Ca82298.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1722133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84963.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1722134  
Old 02-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Sound Sailor

Rich are you sure that was the original dingy and not put aboard later? The ad for the Grumman says it is 8 1/2 feet.

Bill
Old 02-02-2012, 04:52 AM
rblubaugh

This Dauntless sold for "only" $405.00"!
 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120851106096
Old 02-02-2012, 05:48 AM
Sound Sailor

I was watching that one also, Bob. It was local pickup only so that cut down on bidders.

Bill

I have been having a lot of trouble with this site. Am I alone?
Old 02-02-2012, 07:48 AM
Rich404

Hi Bill,
Here are a bunch of photos to back up my theory.
The Dauntless was launched in the spring of 1948 and the dinghy and lifeboat were both there. See the first black and white photo below (PDF Document). Also note that the stern curved under the boat at the waterline in that photo. The second black and white photo again shows the lifeboat and this one emphasizes how the boat has a round shape to it much like the advertisement listed above from 1947. (just a year before Dauntless was launched) Next is Dauntlessfan’s radar post where the bow is present and comes all the way to and a slightly past the roofline ending above the hump toward the bridge. Finally are two more pictures of the side profile. The first emphasizes how the bottom is curved and the last side profile shows the lifeboat going past the roof and ends just over the canvas awning aft showing it was slightly longer than the end of owner’s cabin roof. This all demonstrates that Dumas did not do the boat to scale because the boat is shorter than the length of the roof and the boat has sharp and not round features per the original.
I willcorrect this by researching the dinghy further and decide to either A) scratch build a boat or B) find a very similar lifeboat kit and kit-bash it until it’s made.
Once I make one up to specs I will flirt with using it to make a mold and build replacement lifeboats to order.
-Rich.

Name:	Ki20278.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1722428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38348.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	1722429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21869.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	1722430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96888.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	1722431  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Nl28498.pdf (214.7 KB, 18 views)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.