Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 12:10 AM
dauntlessfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Continuing updating the lazarette to semi-scale proportions. I'm adding the starboard bench seat. Also adding the triangular sections that I believe were necessary to allow for the high positioning of the stern exhaust. I discovered these by studying the you-tube video of the final Dauntless walk-thru just before she was scrapped. Not sure if these were just steps or would have had cushions for seating? Rich can probably elaborate[8D].
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56030.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1729424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31663.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1729425  
Old 02-20-2012, 06:48 AM
Sound Sailor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a very good sign, DF, that you are moving from repair to modifying. Bet you will be back on the water before long.

Bill

Site is still having problems at times. I am pretty sure they have some server problems but they don't seem to have any way to report it.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:44 AM
Rich404

Hi Bill,
The parks look great! Let’s coordinate and perhaps go sailing during my lunch break this week. This week Wednesday looks like the best day because it will be 55 degrees and sunny. Thursday will be 56 and cloudy and Friday is rain. I think I can have my V24 ready for a run. Let me know what works for you. I will send you a PM with details.
Hi Dauntlessfan,
The bench seats are looking good and I’m glad you are adding them. Your guess is good as mine & I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer on whether or not they were covered in fabric on Dauntless. It’s not uncommon for someone to step on a padded seat when boarding a small vessel. Also if you look carefully at the black and white picture posted a while back with Dauntless’s exhaust blasting off the stern, there was someone sitting on that bench seat. I’m not sure how good you can see it in that photo but my original it can be seen. (I will make it a point to rescan that photo.) So it is up to you whether or not to cover them with fabric. I may go ahead & do it anyway if I think I can get it to look decent.
Hi captains,
Last night I was able to continue a bit. This outlines the seat making process.
-Rich.

Name:	Sq45725.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1729485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52828.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1729486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22673.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1729487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51683.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1729488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74070.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1729489  
Old 02-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Rich404

One note in the above photos, before I cut the Tempur material, I have a little process to ensure that it goes smoothly.
· Use a Fine Tip Sharpie Marker
· ¼” Wood Plank
First sit the material down on a flat surface and put the wood strip for the needed height beside the material. In this case a 1/4" basswood strip was used. Then take a marker and draw a line on all four sides. (A fine tip marker works best!) Afterwards there is a ¼” border around the material. Then take an Xacto hobby saw and begin carefully cutting the material. Start in a corner and slowly work your way in. Be sure to keep the blade aligned with the line that is being cut. A hobby saw is a great tool for cutting a spongy type material.
Once the material is cut to the desired thickness then draw on additional measurements and cut out the pattern needed for the cushion or bed that is being made.
Most people are not going to use Tempur material so I recommend using a large SOFT sponge for a cushiony material. These sponges can be found in automotive supply stores or use any old soft cushiony material from around the house as a donor for the project.
-Rich.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Sound Sailor

Rich, Wednesday works for me. I PMd you back. ShouldI bring Dauntless or one of my others? I suspect the Mill pond off 123 would be easiest and fastest for you witha lunch break.
We'll talk
Old 02-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Rich404

Hi Bill,
Last night I tuned up the speedboat so it’s ready to go. It’s amazing how many things loosen up over time. I also charged and balanced the LIPO. I began balancing it at 9PM and it finally balanced at 8am this morning..Tonight I will top it off & it will be good to go. When I’m ready to buy LIPO’s for Dauntless I’m definitely going to opt for high quality matched cells. Balancing this LIPO takes way too long.
Definitely bring Dauntless, she will be the star of the show but bring the rescue tug just in case..The speedboat is a lousy rescue boat.
-Rich.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Sound Sailor

Charging up Dauntless at the moment. Think DF can make it from Texas on his lunch hour to join us? Yeah I usually bring the tug anyway just in case. The one time I didn't, well you know the story.

Bill
Old 02-21-2012, 11:06 AM
dauntlessfan

Ha! Dang I wish I could make it.

Getting ready to order new running hardware this evening.

Are the MACK struts for 2" props the correct ones to order?
Old 02-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Sound Sailor

I can't give an answer since mine already had Dumas hardware on it. Maybe give them a call. They are good about advising.

We'll be sure to take some pix. Really to bad you are not in our area.

Bill
Old 02-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Rich404

ORIGINAL: dauntlessfan

Ha! Dang I wish I could make it.

Getting ready to order new running hardware this evening.

Are the MACK struts for 2" props the correct ones to order?
Hi Dauntlessfan, I wish you could make it too!!!

Yep the MACK struts for 2" props are the ones to get. Those are the ones I put on my yacht.

-Rich.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:53 PM
dauntlessfan

Spent about 45 minutes trying to get the site to load and let me upload a pic. Eventually gave up. I'm about ready to take my toys and find another sandbox [:@].
Old 02-22-2012, 04:03 AM
Sound Sailor

When I tried to get on the site 10 miutes ago I go "site unavailable". This time it loaded right up quickly. Hopefully they corrected a problem.

Rich, seeing as how we will be running Dauntless I'll be in a blazer with yachting cap. No way!

I am going to be a little embarassed though by the paint on the deck. Before we made plans I spent some time masking off the deck for repaintng. It has been black like the hull and I wanted to change it to light gray like I used on the cabin tops. Anyway I went to get matching paint yesterday and they were out. I figured I would then get medium gray since I wan't to paint while it was masked and thought I remembered there were 2 different grays used and also the color would be close. Well I sprayed it and it looked good at first but it turned to a bluish gray when set. The combo looks bad as you will see. So after todays sail it's back to masking and repainting.

Bill

addendum
Looks like it hasn't been fixed . took a while for this post to load.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Rich404

Hopefully the things that they are doing to the site will greatly improve it later on!! Sometimes technology upgrades come with a price of glitches until the updgrading is complete. They should however post sticky's to let the community know when the site will be down or disrupted so that we are informed. Simple communication makes the world of a difference. Last night I could not even post a simple reply on this site..

Hi Bill, I look forward to seeing you later today!! It will be fun tosee you skipper the Dauntless! The paint job will be fine...It's in capable hands..

Hi captains,

I willbe bringing avideo camera with a tripod to the pond too so we shouldgetsome footagetoday. I will see if I can upload it to RCUniverse.

-Rich.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:57 AM
dauntlessfan

Bill don't forget a fat cigar to go with the jacket and cap .

After studying Rich's great bench bases, I decided to make mine a little bit more scale. Pretty easy to do, actually, to my pleasant surprise. Originally mine were just rectangular-shaped. But Rich's design so much more reflects the art deco queues of the Dauntless.

Name:	Fd92199.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1730330  
Old 02-22-2012, 08:21 AM
Rich404

Dauntlessfan-You are awesome!! It's looking great man!!

-Rich.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Sound Sailor

DF, you missed a day filled with excitement. Duntless is not the easiest boat to launch when you can't wade into the pond. soI carried the pices down, put the hull parially in the pond sternfirst with the bow on the shore. When Rich got there I powered everything up and she took off full speed in reverse, and turning in tight circles. Running that fast in reverse she was burying her stern and sinking. Nothing I did with the xmtr made any difference. Well she sank stern first about 20' from shore and the only thing that saved the day was she was resting against an underwater wall that is for silt containment. I was able to wade out on the wall and recover her.

Firstly lesson learned, always check throttle and steering on shore. I do with all my boats but due to the difficulty launching Dauntless I didn't today. We have been trying to figure what went wrong and really do not know. My latest thought is that one of the ESCs did nor sync properly and that would explain why I couldn't even steer it. A twin screw boat will always want to turn against the helm when running on one screw due to the offset. I've experienced that first hand in the big boats.

After bringing the boat home and drying everything with a hair dryer, everything works except one ESC. The rcvr is a marine one and waterproof so it is fine. The boat itself did not recieve any damage except for some paint on the chine. I suspect the esc that is not working now is the one that caused the problem. Looks like I will have three choices. Run both motors with the good esc, buy a new matching esc, orreplace both esc withnew Viper waterproof ones.

I think Rich brought along that Mayhem guy from Allstate comercials.

Bill
Old 02-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Rich404

YEP...Today "Murphy" from Murphy's law followed us down to the pond to pepper in some exitement!!

I still cannot believe how that happened!!

It was a pleasure meeting up with you & we will get together in the near future for more sailing.. And next time we will be sure not to have Murphy or the Mahem guy follow us to the waters edge.. Let us know how you fair out with getting the speed control repaired.

-Rich.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:56 PM
Sound Sailor

Rich, I have a PDF fileunedited draft of the Waterbury article. If you would like a copy ,so you can find out more about the watch, let me know.

Bill
Old 02-22-2012, 10:16 PM
dauntlessfan

Oh ______ (insert expletive of choice)! I'm so sorry to hear about that! I'm really glad you were able to retrieve the yacht and it wasn't lost for good. Sounds like she'll be back at the pond in no time, but still... wow. That had to be some cold water too! How fast did it fill and sink? Did the cabin pieces float to the surface? This has really got me thinking about floatation.

And to think, all this vessel recovery action on a lunch break!

I've never totally sank any of my model boats, thank goodness. But I have got one stuck up in a tree, completely out of the water and stuck in a thin tree branch that hung over the pond. I had to wade out in some very cold muddy water to get it. And I was on a lunch break as well.

Also once when I a teen, I had a little nitro powered boat that I could never get the engine to work for more than a few seconds. I eventually got so frustrated that I threw the transmitter in the pond. It's probably still there.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Rich404

Hi Bill,
I’m definitely interested in the Waterbury article!! Thank you again for your generosity!! It was very unexpected and kind of you to do! Last night I won the Cuervo Y Sobrinos trench watch on e-Bay so there will be another classic watch in the collection! This one is from the 1920’s.
Hi Dauntlessfan,
OH____was right!!! The yacht went down in a hurry to say the least…she was gone in seconds… The only piece that floated was the bow cockpit which became a rescue in its own right because it floated away. I think that everyone should think of ways to keep their boat safe. We were horrified to say the least..
I think that a couple foam blocks in the hull should be suffice for most Dauntless’s as a protective measure..
For my Dauntless I am going to go a different route and continue to use a combination of water tight bulkheads, watertight hull trim inside the yacht where the cabins meet the deck and install the cabins so that they fasten to the hull leaving the bridge deck floor as the main access inside. All this along with sealed windows, pumps and closing doors should minimize her flooding vulnerability. I will wrap up all those items once I get back inside..

I think that windows and having the cabins fasten to the hull are important because it traps air inside the boat..and hopefully gives you a better chance to rescue her before she sinks.

I'm even thinking of putting a drain in the floor in the aft cockpit (lazarette) and the bow cockpit in the event that they do unexpectedly fill with water...
This mishap did however remind me how important those things are to the yacht. And for a while I thought that the sealed double bottom and other ideas were overkill…not anymore..
-Rich.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Rich404

ORIGINAL: dauntlessfan

I've never totally sank any of my model boats, thank goodness. But I have got one stuck up in a tree, completely out of the water and stuck in a thin tree branch that hung over the pond. I had to wade out in some very cold muddy water to get it. And I was on a lunch break as well.

Also once when I a teen, I had a little nitro powered boat that I could never get the engine to work for more than a few seconds. I eventually got so frustrated that I threw the transmitter in the pond. It's probably still there.

Hi Dauntlessfan..That is funny!!!
I lost two boats over the years..One was a coast guard cutter that went in reverse and went by.by.. This was when I was a kid. Then there was an inexpensive speedboat that I used to run on the Long Island Sound during my lunch break. I bought it when I started remodeling the Dauntless. I put it in the water on a freezing 20 degree day, hit the throttle and she did a jump over a wave..then suddenly the winds gusted to a steady 30mph and I couldn’t get her back to shore. After fighting the tx like an X box controller to get her back to shore…I lost..And the boat was never seen again. My take away from that is to make sure that the boat motors are more powerful than wind strong conditions and be powerful enough to carry more than the boats weight..This is why I am opting for very powerful motors in Dauntless!!!!!
My black V24 used to give me problems before I worked out the Gremlins. She took off backwards on me once before. It was just like Bill’s dilemma, the stern was buried and she shot backwards dangerously quick. I was able to steer her and turned her around and got her back to shore.
Here are a few pictures of the boat I lost on the Long Island Sound. It must have been maybe a week or two after these pictures were taken when she was lost in the same place where these photos were taken. Let’s hope our boats don’t share the same fate as this one.

One day I will sail my Dauntless here for a photo shoot.. The full sized Dauntless, Aphrodite, Sagaand all of the other famous commuter yachts from yesteryear all sailed on this very waterway!
-Rich.

Name:	Tr51271.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	1730774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77380.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	1730775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98994.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	1730776   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42821.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1730777  
Old 02-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Sound Sailor

DF it was definately a learning experiance!

Rich Shoot me an email address for that file. Where was that taken? Rowayton? Having trouble making out the location but I do see the Northport stacks in the background.

I spoke to Dave (harbor) today and he is sending me 2 -45 amp Viper esc for price of 1 and I returned the non working one to him. BTW the Viper is waterproof.

Bill

Now I am thinking maybe Norwalk, Calf PastureBeach since I see an oyster stake.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Rich404

Hi Bill,

I'm glad it worked out!!! My e-mail is:[email protected]

This was taken at Cummings Beach in Stamford CT so close enough.. Yep those are big stacks across in Long Island. I never knew what they were for.. Perhaps one day we will sail the boats there.

-Rich.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Sound Sailor

Rich, that is a power plant part of the national grid and it's at Eatons Neck. There is a cable laid between it and the power plant in Norwalk Harbor on the sound. Those stacks and the one in Norwalk were always great aids to navigation.

Bill
Old 02-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Rich404

ORIGINAL: Sound Sailor

Now I am thinking maybe Norwalk, Calf PastureBeach since I see an oyster stake.
Aaaaahh an Oyster stake...that is what that is... I also wondered what that was too!

The pictures of this boat were taken way offshore... I launched the boat from the beach and walked to the end of a 100 foot jetty and then sailed the boat way offshore for the pictures....

-Rich.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.