RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

48" Dumas 109 some parts not scale???

Old 09-14-2006, 08:07 PM
hansvonpensch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 48" Dumas 109 some parts not scale???

I can not remember wear I saw it, but I read some wear that part of the Dumas PT 109 was not porporationed or scaled correct, but you could fix the problem with some work. I am thinking about buying one and need someone to tell me what was involved, also is this kit worth the money, Thanks, Randy
Old 09-16-2006, 10:55 AM
subsinker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 48" Dumas 109 some parts not scale???

Randy,

I have built a couple of these boats. Overall, they are not bad but I used Howard Enterprises conversions for the boats. If you really want to get finicky, the hull is actually not scale. The bow on the Dumas boat dips and the real Elcos did not. It is a fairly easy conversion to make the profile look scale but I have no idea why Dumas would have done that. As for the armament, its mostly metal and wood. What you do with it from there is up to you. If you want a boat you can take to the lake and putz around with, destroying enemy targets, it'll be great. If you are looking for a contest model, you will be doing some work. If you are curious what the PT conversions look like, I do have a couple of pictures of them in my gallery, feel free to check them out.

Best regards,
Pete
Old 09-16-2006, 02:51 PM
hansvonpensch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you for the info subsinker, I will have to think about the conversion, now that I know wear to look. Do you know how good the mosquito boat Pt stuff is, their early Pt models somewere around Pt 59 or 65 really look fantastic, but I dont know if their is enough building to do. What is your opinion. thanks, Randy
Old 09-18-2006, 02:27 AM
Hookpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Randy:
There is a lot of excellent reference material on the web about the Elco and Higgins boats. Probably the best website I've found is John Drain's site at: www.pt-boat.com. He's in Australia. His web site is extremely detailed and a goldmine of info on building these boats at 1/20 and 1/35 scale. He also sells beautiful laser-cut semi-kits for both dimensions.

My boat is a 60 inch 1/14.6 scale of a British Vosper Motor Torpedo Boat. The actual boats were 73 feet long. I made the mistake of building to an odd scale so I ended up having to scratch-build everything on the boat. If you stick to 1/16 or 1/20 scale, you'll find supplies of guns, deck hardware and fittings on the web. I'd stay away from the white metal castings found on a certain site with a name relating to stinging flying insects. (If you catch my drift) That particular supplier's casting quality is very poor, for both white metal and resin parts. You'll spend a LOT of time trimming and cleaning up his work.

If you are into early Elco PT boats, you MUST see this web site: http://www.geocities.com/patspt41/ Pat has built a near-museum quality model of an early Elco boat that is very impressive. His site also is filled with must-see info on PT boats and is well documented with excellent pictures and text.

If you intend to build a scale PT boat, you'll find these two web sites extremely helpful. Whatever you do, try to keep the weight down. Mine is 17 pounds, ready to run. A friend has the Dumas 48" PT 109 kit that he's 'modified' with lots of extra detailing including custom brass guns. His is heavier than mine and a bit of a dog. We both have the same running gear, 3, 18V Johnson drill motors, direct drive turning 3, 1.75" three-bladed props all powered by 3, 8.4v 3300mAh NiMH battery packs. These are big motors, about the size of a 900-series can motor. My boat scoots along just fine on the two outboard motors. I keep the center motor for my ticket back to the beach and 3-motor high-speed sprints around the pond. Each is independently controlled through a Proboat ESC.

Good luck with your build/modification of the Dumas kit.

Mike in Honolulu
http://homepage.mac.com/hookpilot/PersonalPage.html
to see my MTB in action

Search this Thread