Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

STUFFING BOX TO PLASTIC BONDING MATERIAL

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

STUFFING BOX TO PLASTIC BONDING MATERIAL

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 06:49 PM
hansvonpensch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STUFFING BOX TO PLASTIC BONDING MATERIAL

I plan on trying to put 3 stuffing tubes in a Lindberb pt-109, could anyone tell me the correct bonding / filler agent to use, Thanks, Randy.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:06 PM
LtDoc

Default RE: STUFFING BOX TO PLASTIC BONDING MATERIAL

Epoxy works.
- 'Doc
Old 09-22-2006, 04:40 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

epoxy doesnt bond well to plastic!!!!i normally use epoxy puty the type plumbers use its great stuff but my experience with epoxy is it doesnt stick to plastic!!fibre glass yes wood yes metal yes plastic no it will even say on the bottle it doesnt stick plastic.it will set up and seem like its stuck but it will come away from the plastic!!.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:11 AM
patmat

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Milliput 2-part putty DOES stick to plastic. Hard to find, can be ordered from Micromark.com, and can be painted.

Pat Matthews
Old 09-23-2006, 02:20 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

time will tell but trust me epoxy doesnt bond plastic!! read the labeling!!.for plastic you need something that welds the plastic to stick to it epoxy will not do this.any vibration whatsoever and the joints will fail.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:21 AM
LtDoc

Not all of it, but a big part of it is in the surface preparation, both surfaces. Cleaning and roughing the 'slick' surfaces does help. Will it make an absolutely, never break, solid for all time joint? Of course not. But considering that the two surfaces are dissimular, I honestly don't know of any glue that will do that. I'm sure there is such a thing but just I haven't found it yet. I've used epoxy on a metal/plastic joint and to date it hasn't turned loose yet. Also used CA for the same type joint and it's still holding too.
There are draw-backs to any type glue. Some are not designed to be used with plastic or metal, some have other physical properties that are not 'good' for the materials used, and sometimes for the 'user'. Best advice is to use something that you think will work okay and that you have or can get. Then keep an eye on it...
- 'Doc

(If the @#$ stuff will glue my fingers to the desk, I figure it'll hold anything else I get it on.)
Old 09-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Tug Guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off before any glue process begins the plastic should be washed off with soap and water then with Alcohol. This will remove any chance of a release agent clinging to the plastic. Then the area any glue will touch should be sanded on both sides. What I have used in the past and is still holding today after over 12 years is Araldite epoxy structural adhesive. It is also known as Fastweld #10. This adhesive does hold to plastic.