RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

3 motors, 3 esc, 3 batteries, 1 servo

Old 09-27-2006, 07:36 PM
hansvonpensch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 3 motors, 3 esc, 3 batteries, 1 servo

Is it ok to use 3 motors, 3 esc, 3 batteries hooked up independent of each other, on one channel/frecency, I have built models for a while but have not used RC, Thanks, Randy.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:36 PM
saleens7

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 3 motors, 3 esc, 3 batteries, 1 servo

i do beleive so, ive seen boat with 2 servos hooked up to a 1 channel on the Rx, but youll need a 4 channel remote with the ability to mix or combine funtctions to one or more channels.

unless someone else here knows how to do this an a better and/or chaeper way?? because i could be wrong. iv seen them only with servos, esc's could be different.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:21 PM
Quicksilver

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

you need a 6+ channel radio basically an airplane radio....I was reading about a pt boat setup last night about the same thing. he independently controlled the two outboard motors and used the center motor as a booster, basically you flip a switch and that motor goes full throttle. Pretty cool set up. I'll try to find the link, but I cant remember where I read it at this time.

this site could help, it's not the one I was looking for, but I spent a good 2 hours reading through it last night
http://www.pt-boat.com/
Old 09-28-2006, 04:15 AM
martno1fan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

theres a guy on this very site that has the same set up send him a message hes very helpfull.theres also a video of his boat too here.[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4664505/tm.htm[/link]
Old 09-28-2006, 06:39 AM
LtDoc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Randy,
Yes, it can be done that way, and a few other ways too. It just depends on how you want to be able to control the motors. If you want independant control of each motor you will need a seperate channel, and one for the rudder(s), so at least a 4 channel radio system. If you only want to control all three motors as a 'group', and the rudder, then you'd need at least a 2 channel radio system.
Another 'thingy' to remember is that some ESCs have a BEC circuit, which eliminates the need for a seperate receiver battery. If the ESCs that you use have this circuit then only one of the BECs needs to be working, the other two should be disabled. If you use a receiver battery then all of the BECs need to be disabled.
- 'Doc

PS - Not disabling the BECs when required means that if the seperate batteries are not all of the same charge there can be circulating currents between batteries. That can lead to some really weird reactions by the receiver, or motors, etc. Not exactly the best thing to do unless you like head-scratching and cussing.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:16 PM
hansvonpensch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you everyone and thanks LtDoc, I belive the one person had an control for two motors and one switch for the third, but I could not figure why he would not have one channel hooked up to the 3 motors if it were easy. Thanks Randy
Old 09-28-2006, 10:13 PM
LtDoc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Randy,
It isn't all that hard to hook up two motors together and the third on a switch. Using one ESC for three motors only means that the ESC will have to be 'larger', have a higher current rating (3 x the current of one motor). The third motor hooked up with a switch would be like shifting into over-drive, sort of. Really, just a matter of how you wanna do it, and cost of course. How ever you decide to do it will be the 'best' method for you...
- 'Doc

PS - If you decide to try it another way later... why not?
Old 09-29-2006, 03:19 AM
martno1fan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

if you check out the link i gave you you will see that this guy only uses the 3rd motor for a reserve when his others die or for the ocasional burst of extra speed when needed.like doc said the 3rd uses no speed controller its just full on or off.also a good tip on esc,s go for double what the motors require where possible as this gives you the knowledge that you wont burn it out!!.