Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Bad ship modles Quality questian.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Bad ship modles Quality questian.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 09:57 AM
hansvonpensch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad ship modles Quality questian.

I might be answering my own questian, but looking at the inexpensive price of the Bad ship models, take for instance the 1/96th scale Gearing class Destroyers $257 and comparing it to some of the models from the U.K. the price is cheap, does anyone have any experince with these models. Thanks, Randy.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Wolfmann

Default RE: Bad ship modles Quality questian.

I have no experience with either but remember if it sounds to good it usually is. You will get what you pay for.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:24 PM
djcool

DjcoolHello
I just finished a BaD Ship Model of the Garcia Class Frigate. Its not bad if you have experience. Everything they said would be there was, and it was very close to exactly what I have used to make other ships. The ship its self, is very close to the real thing, Been there worked it.. The scale pieces are cool, and Very close to original!! The ship of mine, Made into the Brietta 1041, as my first scratch build of the Garcia 1040, was sank in 1979? or so?( hit a Log?)? I fiberglassed this one and made it Radio controlled also, and now have almost 50 hrs. on the water with it. I now am using there way of make up to do a CV 13 - USS Franklin. At 1/135.
So have fun and enjoy!!

Djcool
Old 10-15-2006, 07:01 PM
hansvonpensch

Thank you djcool, it seems few people have experince with these models. If anyone has any closeup pictures, it would make easy to make a decision, Thanks, Randy.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:13 PM
djcool

Check the War ship gallery. I just put the new USS Bradly 1041 I got from them in there.
Along with a one I scratch made and just spent 4 hrs on the water with each one today, Before the cold hits here in Iowa!. The new one is a Net tender, AN 42,
I finally,,, got My DAD to admit what ship he spent his service on during WWII, the AN42 USS Cliffrose. This is one of 4, I made for him, and what is now left, of a crew of 57

Ps I can do more if you like..
Old 10-17-2006, 07:51 PM
hansvonpensch

I am looking foward to seeing the 1041, but I really dont know whear the war ship gallery is, wheare would I find it, thanks, Randy.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:06 PM
djcool

Go to the Boat forum home, and at the bottom there is a blue dot for The RC Boat Gallery. Then select Warships in the catagory on the top right
Old 10-18-2006, 07:10 PM
hansvonpensch

djcool, the 1041 is a serious model, the stanions help make a model, its one of the things I look for, you did a nice job. I have built a Dumas Crockett in the past, it did not look as good as the1041, mabey my skills will pick up some. Hears a questian, between a BaD ship model and the Dumas Crockett with its $70 fittings no other outside fittings, If both were built well, which would look more like the real thing, Thanks, Randy, Kind of a difficult questian.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:23 PM
djcool

It depends on your experience in building. The Bad ship models are a balsa wood striping hull, over a plywood skeleton. They send a tube of 3' .034 wires for all the railings, and no threading. The instructions are kinda meant for experience. The Gun towers, and doors, and trimmings are premade and as close as real. Then it depends on how much you want to do from there. The kit is setup more for a good display. Then If you want to RC it, They help tell how to do it. Then it needs a good water proofing. They recommend fiberglass. And tell yea how. I used two coats of Sig Polyester. First with fiber, than painted it, then just a good top coat with the rest of a 16 Oz can. Oh after a good coat with glass fiber on the AN 42 I did. As far as witch one would look good? I haven't seen the real Dumas Crockett or the model. But if the other Bad ship Models are as good as the 1041, I can say they can be made as good as the real thing, been there worked it. They also send the prop(s) and stuffing box(s). Then its up to you what and how to power it. (Just don't forget some people dispose of used Battery Drills).. Then mounting the motors. They sent two ways to try it. The major after cost of there ships is what you want to use it for. Then for the guys I use a nylon crotchet thread thats only $1.89 for a few 100 yards so ( just dont tell the wife its missing a few yards). It looks as close as real cable.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:12 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

If you haven't already done so, I'd just contact BaD's owner, Lou, directly to discuss your interest & get your questions answered. You can get his phone & email info here:

http://www.badshipmodels.com/contact.html

Here's another site that offers their full range with some added detail & photos.

http://www.marylandsilver.com/badship.htm

Am sure that you'll have better luck than I at getting some your answers compared to what I've experienced trying to obtain info on Saito's Delta Queen, a kit that I am interested. Saito & their resellers, Loyalhanna included, are the worst at providing any worthwhile info on their product line. I find this hard to believe, considering this is a $1500+ kit, $3000+ if you include the steam
plant.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:55 AM
djcool

Hi
I tend to use search engines and find links and reviews like.
http://www.dd-692.com/theallen.htm
http://www.hrprod.com/photo2.html
http://www.modelismonaval.com/galeria/gallery10.htm
http://www.rktman.com/rlh/bunker_hill/
These were made by eather vets or serious modelers.
Denny
Old 10-19-2006, 10:08 PM
hansvonpensch

djcool, I tend to build the hulls good, some how they tend to be nice, I had trouble with the turrent rings on the 33" Dumas pt, and they are something like stansions, when I look at many of the boats on ebay the stansions need help, so the stanions do worry me, I will just have to learn how to build them. What do you think of theDumas 48" pt, Thanks, Randy.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:09 AM
djcool

Thats not bad. The experince will come. To get the hang of it look at some of the picutres of the real thing and emagen how, and where, the lines and stanions would attach. I guess it might take a little experance? But if needed take a real peace and try it. Than get right down in a good pict and see where they attach. And what they used to hold it, than grab a piece of wire and bend it to fit. If you need I can send yea some pics of how I've seen it done, from being on a few WWII ships at docks. And how I did them to work, on what I've done? or PM me I'll send yea some

Denny
Old 10-21-2006, 01:59 PM
hansvonpensch

Hello djcool, I am getting a few pictures here and there, after that I think it will be a matter of taking my time, thanks Randy.