Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Hobby resin Vs Home depot resin

Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Hobby resin Vs Home depot resin

Old 12-22-2006, 10:20 PM
hansvonpensch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby resin Vs Home depot resin

I am now fiber glassing the Dumas crockett and I am having trouble with brush marks and runs. The problem may seem obvious " use finer brush, put thinner coats on that wont run", but, I did not have this problem with some of my other jobs and starting thinking at other times I used resin from the hobby store and now I am using Home Depot resin, could the problem be that simple, thanks, Randy.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:10 PM
LtDoc

Default RE: Hobby resin Vs Home depot resin

Randy,
Could the problem be that simple? Sure. Not knowing who/what makes the 'Home Depot' stuff I certainly couldn't say for certain, though. From the sound of it, the hobby store stuff might be 'better' (isn't that a terrible thought?). I've used two brands, 'West System's and another. Won't say what the other was, wasn't happy with it at all. Good luck.
- 'Doc

(Most problems I have with fibreglass are my fault, as in allergic, etc.)
Old 12-23-2006, 04:08 PM
Papower

You need to go to a boat store. What you start out with is laminating resin for the first coats. Then for the final coat you use finishing resin. The laminating resin does not have the waxy feeling to it and stays sticky for further top coats. The finishing resin has the waxy feeling to it and that is the last coat. You can then sand and finish with your choice of clear coat.
Bruce
Old 12-23-2006, 05:48 PM
hansvonpensch

As bad as it sounds, at first I did not think it could be the brand but the more I search my memory, I dont think I ever had a problem with the hobby resin, not one, to be more exact I glassed a 33" pt and my first crockett in about 5 sessions and had no bad experinces, but the shelly foss and second crockett I glassed sense then, and using a different resin, I wont name the brand always gave me problems some big some small. a lesson learned the hard way, thank you LtDoc and Papower.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:33 PM
barnstormerboats

You should avoid using thin coats of resin as they will not cure properly when very thin. You need to have thick coats (25mils +) in order for the material to react and cure properly. Thin coats will stay tacky for days, weeks or months if there is not enough material to fully react and cure.

even if you have to go back and sand out the brush strokes later that is better than a coat that never cures and will soften and haze when in contact with the water.