Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Hooking up in Paralell or Series

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Hooking up in Paralell or Series

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 03:42 PM
mrbcruzn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooking up in Paralell or Series

I am planning out my PT109 Lindberg kit, using two engines and 1 ESC. I've seen some article that if you hook the batteries up in Parallell (sp) you get a lot of speed and they run time really goes down. If you hook up in Series, you do'nt get as much speed as the motors might be getting like 3 volts, but you also get longer run times. Can anyone help me here. Sorry about the spelling. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:42 PM
subsinker
My Feedback: (61)

Default RE: Hooking up in Paralell or Series

Hi,

Actually, it is the other way around. Two 7.2 volt battery packs wired in series is 14.4 More speed less run time. Parallel the two packs together it is still 7.2 V but the mah have doubled and run time is doubled.

Pete
Old 03-19-2007, 02:56 AM
geoffmo

Yeah that's right,

If you're not concerned at all with top speed you could also connect the motors together in series giving 3.6v across each motor, ie 3.6 + 3.6 = 7.2 effectively doubling your runtime again. As long as your ESC is up to 2 batteries (in series ie 14.4v) and 2 motors in parallel then I'd just experiment to see what you're happiest with. Keep in mind that with the max setup you will lose more power in heat.

Hope this helps

Geoff
Old 03-19-2007, 07:15 PM
in-d-boat

Go to http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/MainPage.htm, then click on the tips and info link at the top, on the next page read Motors, Hardware Tips and info. Then... Running twin motors in parallel or series? section. Short and sweet and to the point of what your asking I believe. I'm building a twin jet powered catamaran, with 12 volt 700's for motors, and two 10 cell battery packs in series. Two 10 cell packs are 24 volts, but the motors, wired in series also, will see the required 12 volts each. I have a 100 amp esc and the motors should only draw around 70 amps. So I should be okay there too. Two 7.2 packs is 14.4 volts, but should yield 7.2 volts to the motors if everything is in series. Just be sure your speed control can handle it, as Geoff said.
Don't foget to water cool the motors and speed control to dissapate the heat.

Keith