Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Rc salvage crane to pick up small boats!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Rc salvage crane to pick up small boats!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 06:40 AM
Jonjoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rc salvage crane to pick up small boats!!

Hi all
Im looking into building a rc salvge crane to pick small boats out of the water i have a 4ch radio and have seen it done b4 just not sure how to do it any ideas??? Pic's and Diograms will be greatley appreciated!
Thanks
JJ
Old 04-06-2007, 07:16 PM
robotronski

Default RE: Rc salvage crane to pick up small boats!!

Yeah, I'm looking to do the same thing. I already had one incident where a retreival barge would have been a handy vehicle to have at the lake. I also want to give my the "Scale-Look" visual treatment , (rust, rotten planks, diesel spilled everywhere)

Will power it with a 12volt Gell cell battery which will act as my ballast and let me run for a long time with no concerns for low voltage througout the day.

Found a supplier of 12 volt gear-reduction motors for powering all the gadgets and gizmos on deck.

Right now I'm looking at various Dumas Boat hardware kits as I'm trying to decide what I will do for propulsion. Want gobs of pull, but not too much speed.

As far a hull design goes, I'm going for a flat front Tow-boat look, need to decide on overall size before selecting motor.

Still have a zillion other projects in the works so I'm not starting this one anytime soon.

Just in the planning stage for now.

Do a google search (images for work boats/tugs) and you'll see some nice pix out there of some full scale vessels to get some ideas.

I'll try to check in here now and then and see whats going on.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:19 PM
forklift

I don't know if this is the type of floating crane you're interested in, but it's worth a shot to try and help someone out. Besides being friendly, it expands my knowledge and interests as well

[link=http://www.solentwaters.co.uk/Vessel%20Types/Vessel%20Types%204/page12.html]This[/link] website has a section (if you scroll down) with some simple diagrams of floating cranes. Be sure to check out their specialty barges on the tab to the left of the page as there are some nice crane rigs there as well as other interesting work vessels that you could draw inspiration from.

If you want excellent detailed design plans for a 100ft floating crane (full scale), then check out [link=http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/bd.htm]this[/link] page. The details are toward the latter half of the document.

Otherwise, there are ship kits for salvage boats like [link=http://www.healthpowerusa.com/acbhpusa/showdetl.cfm?&DID=1&st_id=146&User_ID=11457767&st=2716&st2=50355394&st3=-46014301&Product_ID=7447]this[/link] one.

A number of those types of salvage ships can be found at the [link=http://www.westbourne-model.co.uk/Robbe-Model-Boats.htm]ROBBE[/link] website.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:48 PM
robotronski

Thanks for the Links Forklift.

Been looking for some info like that for a while.

Robo