Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Wiring help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 12:14 AM
Larryds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring help

I need some help from the experts out there. This is my first installation of a electric motor in a boat and its not working. What I have is a Dumas PT-109 33" kit with a MACK products duel motor installation kit. It has two motors and one esc. The esc is a Astro Flight 7110 which is set up for duel motors and duel batteries with a BEC elemination on it. The motors came wired with a black and red wires which have I connected one black wire connector from one motor and one black wire connector from the other motor to black plug wire on esc, and did the same to the red ones. The batteries connected to the esc with a "y" harreness. I have the lead from the esc plugged into a "y" harness with the on/off switch, which is plugged in the battery slot on the reciever. I can feel the esc is warm but not hot but not getting anything out of the motors. Batteries do have a charge in them. I did check all the connections but was a little tired when I did it but will check again when I get home today. I also removed the on/off switch and plugged in the esc directly to the receiver, still nothing. I even hooked up a servo and that would work either. My question is do I have everything hooked up right? What do I need to do? Thanks!
Old 03-27-2007, 01:12 AM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Default RE: Wiring help

I also removed the on/off switch and plugged in the esc directly to the receiver, still nothing.
If you removed the switch from the ESC, did you plug in a four cell receiver battery to the receiver?

If not, then most likely, the Receiver is not getting any power.
Reconnect the switch on the ESC, turn on your transmitter, then turn on the switch at the ESC.
That should then divert power from the ESC to the receiver, and power up everything in the boat.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:15 AM
Sharkbait8181

are you sure the esc works?? can you take a pic of the install? esc battery's motors.im more of a visual person
Old 03-27-2007, 02:00 AM
Larryds

The guy at MACKs said that I wouldnt need a battery for the receiver with this esc. There is no switch on the esc, the switch is the one that came with the radio. The esc just has a plug that I assume goes to the receiver in the battery slot. Sorry about the confusion. I am at work right now so when I get home and after some basic checks, like connections etc.. and it still doesnt work I will take pics.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:50 AM
LtDoc

Larry,
First, read the instructions that came with the radio system and ESC. And, you've got the right idea, check how things are connected again (sometimes it's a 'forest/trees' kind'a thingy). I don't think I've ever seen a 'switch' as you described included with a radio system, most 'switches' are part of the ESC package (not having seen everything, that doesn't mean much).
ESCs have three connections, motor(s), battery(s), receiver. Not impossible to get them backwards sometimes (I can do it!). Some ESCs have a 'setup' procedure, you might check that. And while you're checking the "can't screw it up" things, is the battery's voltage something the receiver/ESC can work with? Good luck!
- 'Doc

(Know why most electrical engineers have scars on their foreheads? It's from banging them on the desk, muttering "stupid, stupid, stupid!".)
Old 03-27-2007, 07:54 AM
blizard05

The ESC should (not be pluged) into the bat slot. Plug it into the ch2 slot.(ch1 st ch2 th) Plug the bat that came with radio into bat slot,no Y neaded. Larry B
Old 03-27-2007, 03:46 PM
LtDoc

thump, mutter. thump, mutter. always the simple things you (I) should have 'seen' to start with. thump, mutter...
Old 03-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Larryds

Thanks for the help guys! I did have it plugged into the the wrong slot on the receiver. Plugged it into slot 2 and bang; it ran. The instructions that came with the pack was how to install the stuffing tubes and rudder. The only thing in writing that came with the esc was a little note from the designer thanking his friends who helped him designed it. Didnt do me any good. The esc is smaller then a credit card and just as then. The wires are label for newbies like me. The switch I was referring to was the one that came with the radio. On my planes it connects to the battery then to the receiver with a charging jack attached. I think my "y" harness has a bad wire on one side. After I took switch off esc still didnt run. Put esc where switch was and ran fine. I will take out "y" harness and switch and just use a 6" extension. Did a float check and ran great. Even put up a small rooster tail. Thanks again everyone!