Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

new guy need help with boat.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

new guy need help with boat.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 10:51 PM
hwrcwby81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy need help with boat.

hey guys i new, and i was wanting to get into building scale boat rather than fast electric boats.
I've looked at Model slipways, Deans Marine and Calder Craft and some Graupner. I have building experiance but probably nothing compared to what some of you have.
Ive built fast electrics that are ABS based kits and basically follow the directions. I think i want to start building more scale boats that offer more of a challenge.
I have thought about the Gry Maritha from model slipways and the seabex one from graupner and others etc. im really not looking for a Tug or a war ship but more of a non tug working boat around 37-45" beam, single or twin screw in the $400-$550 range. I have plenty of time but dont want to spend months and months on one paticular project. If you have any suggestions or advise please dont be a stranger.

P.S. on a skill level from 1 to 10, im probablly a 5 or 6, but would like to try a level 8 or 9.
thanks
race
Old 05-10-2007, 12:19 AM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Default RE: new guy need help with boat.

From what I have seen of peoples kits, and skill levels, I think you could handle any of the kits from the manufacturers you listed. The best way to pick a boat is by what you like, and what catches your eye. It's a, "You'll know it when you see it", kind of thing.

I have never bought any kits, but I built a Graupner kit for someone, and while the instrutions were not always clear,... the plans and parts list always seemed to bring everything together.[8D]

And I hope you meant 37"-45" LENGTH, as that wide a BEAM will build out to a 24 foot model easily.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:19 AM
LtDoc

hwrcwby81,
I've built at least one kit from each of the companies you mentioned. As far as I'm concerned, 'Model Slipway' is the best. Not that there's anything wrong with the others, they just are not the same 'quality'. If you've got some experience, and if you know the sharp end from the handle end, I doubt if you will have any huge problems with any of those company's kits.
Have fun.
- 'Doc
Old 05-10-2007, 08:14 AM
Arminius

Hi! I completely agree with LtDoc. I am a beginner, and after a lot of advice-collecting, I chose for Model Slipways, and their kits are super! On their web you have two ranges of kits; the ones from the '90ies and the more modern ones. Particularly the latter are excellent quality. Good materials, loads of fun and good plans/instructions.

Good luck!
Old 05-10-2007, 04:32 PM
hwrcwby81

thanks for the comments. In your oppinion, where would be the best place to start? Ive looked at Harbor Models.com and also Loyalhanna.com, have any of you guys traded with these places before? They both sell pretty much the same line of products and both located in the US.

thanks
race
Old 05-10-2007, 10:53 PM
LtDoc

hwrcwby81,
I haven't dealt with 'Loyalhanna' so can't say anything about them. I have dealt with 'Harbor Models'. Not exactly the cheapest place in the world, but they do just fine, no complaints. Opinions vary, so take it for what it's worth.
- 'Doc
Old 05-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Eplane1

hwr,
You may want to check at www.mackproductsrc.com for some boats and if you like robbe you may want to try http://www.ikarus-modellbau.de/onlin...511c1.36754144. Click on the robbe boats in left column. I have ordered from mack and they have great service. I also ordered from Ikarus and they were also great.
Steve
Old 05-17-2007, 12:54 PM
harve202
My Feedback: (2)

Excuse me for putting in 2 cents but paddlewheels are interesting, to me at least. Most of Mississippi system used sternwheelers while much of the east used sidewheels. Paddleducks is an English website that has lots of discussions, free plans etc that might be well for you to visit. Choosing a project is a great problem because you cannot go wrong. Who said, "So many boats, so little time." ? Local history might have some suggestions worthy of consideration, too. Best of luck to you, Harvey in NC
Old 05-17-2007, 01:39 PM
harve202

Excuse me for putting in 2 cents but paddlewheels are interesting, to me at least. Most of Mississippi system used sternwheelers while much of the east used sidewheels. Paddleducks is an English website that has lots of discussions, free plans etc that might be well for you to visit. Choosing a project is a great problem because you cannot go wrong. Who said, "So many boats, so little time." ? Local history might have some suggestions worthy of consideration, too. Best of luck to you, Harvey in NC
Old 05-18-2007, 11:10 AM
hwrcwby81

Thanks for all the good information. BTW harve202, a paddle boat might be a good project for the future but for now i think, ive narrowed my choises and they are:

DITMAR KOEL - Deans Marine
AZIZ- Model Slipway- even though i said i didnt want a tug
City of Ely- and i think that is made by Caldercraft

Old 05-18-2007, 12:42 PM
harve202

Go for it and best wishes on the way, Harvey in NC